Ask First then Do !

Started by CaptainRMF, March 30, 2020, 02:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainRMF

Good morning guys. Hope everyone's doing OK. Just want to post this so others can learn from my mistake. Been servicing reels for quite awhile, mine and friends, with no problems. All types of Penn Conventionals. So I was doing an older Jigmaster 500 w/dark Maroon plates for the first time. Done many newer 500S Jigmaters red plates with no problem. Thought they were pretty much all the same. WRONG !!! I should have checked here first before removing inner and outer side plate rings, I didn't. I was so used to taking all four off. If they were stuck on I would pry off easily with a sheet rock knife. Well I tried prying off the inner ring on the handle side plate and to my surprise It's Not Supposed To Come OFF !!!! Needless to say the pins on the ring pulled out chunks of the plate. Attached are the pictures of my stupidity. Don't be like me. Ask First then Do. Thanks guys.                                             Richy
Richy aka CaptainRMF

alantani

i've had a couple of reels sent to me like that.  it's a mistake you only make once!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

CaptainRMF

Quote from: alantani on March 30, 2020, 03:03:40 PM
i've had a couple of reels sent to me like that.  it's a mistake you only make once!   ;D
You are right about that Alan !  ;)
Richy aka CaptainRMF

foakes

Good Morning, Richy --

We have all done weird things that don't turn out so well.

All part of learning.

First Penn I serviced about 45 years ago.  Figured everything needed to come apart -- so I pried off the bakelite handle knob also. 

Never did that again.

I will pull out a maroon sideplate this morning -- and send it your way, N/C.

As soon as I do -- I'll post a pic -- then if agreeable, you can PM me your mailing information.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rancanfish

I saw that and confidently went to the garage to get a replacement for you.  Then realized I had sold the lot of jigmaster plates I had last year.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Decker

Is there any sign of the pins from the outside, before trying to pry off the plate?   

I ask because I have struggled with removing inner rings, but have not yet muscled one enough make that mistake.

nelz

That must have been one heck of a pry!  :o

foakes

Here you go, Richy --

If this will work for you, just send me your mailing information in a private PM -- will send it out at N/C.

I have not been to the Post Office in (14) days -- but need to go today or tomorrow, since (14) outgoing packages need to get mailed that have been stacking up in the corner of the shop.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

CaptainRMF

Quote from: foakes on March 30, 2020, 03:29:52 PM
Good Morning, Richy --

We have all done weird things that don't turn out so well.

All part of learning.

First Penn I serviced about 45 years ago.  Figured everything needed to come apart -- so I pried off the bakelite handle knob also.  

Never did that again.

I will pull out a maroon sideplate this morning -- and send it your way, N/C.

As soon as I do -- I'll post a pic -- then if agreeable, you can PM me your mailing information.

Best,

Fred
Hey Fred Thank you for your offer. Was not gonna except it as I will probably never use this reel anyway. But if you send it I will return the finished reel to you if you want at N/C if you need it or I will put it up on this site to anyone needing it for Free. If I learned one thing on this site it's to pay it forward so it's my turn to do that. Thanks Fred. Stay Safe.                                                                                Richy
Richy aka CaptainRMF

CaptainRMF

Quote from: Rancanfish on March 30, 2020, 03:30:35 PM
I saw that and confidently went to the garage to get a replacement for you.  Then realized I had sold the lot of jigmaster plates I had last year.
Thanks Rancanfish.
Richy aka CaptainRMF

CaptainRMF

Quote from: Decker on March 30, 2020, 04:44:04 PM
Is there any sign of the pins from the outside, before trying to pry off the plate?   

I ask because I have struggled with removing inner rings, but have not yet muscled one enough make that mistake.
Hey Decker there is. On the outside edge of the ring you can see small pin heads sticking up. I saw them but ignored them and this is what happens.
Richy aka CaptainRMF

CaptainRMF

Quote from: nelz on March 30, 2020, 05:37:06 PM
That must have been one heck of a pry!  :o
It sure was broke the blade on the sheet rock knife !!  :o
Richy aka CaptainRMF

CaptainRMF

Quote from: foakes on March 30, 2020, 05:38:13 PM
Here you go, Richy --

If this will work for you, just send me your mailing information in a private PM -- will send it out at N/C.

I have not been to the Post Office in (14) days -- but need to go today or tomorrow, since (14) outgoing packages need to get mailed that have been stacking up in the corner of the shop.

Best,

Fred
That's fine Fred. Almost to fine. Gonna have to shine the other plate up a little to match.  Will PM my info. You are the Best. Thanks Fred.
Richy.                                                                                   
Richy aka CaptainRMF

CaptainRMF

Quote from: foakes on March 30, 2020, 05:38:13 PM
Here you go, Richy --

Best,

Fred
Hey Fred sent you a PM and an e-mail. Don't know if they went through though. Let me know here and will resend if necessary. Thanks
Richy aka CaptainRMF

foakes

Yes, responded a few minutes ago @ 11:30 --

Thanks, will be on the way today or tomorrow.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.