Screw extractor

Started by nelz, March 30, 2020, 07:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

I'm looking for a screw extractor to fix this spacer bar but there are so many choices out there, not sure what to get. It's not so big a deal on a part like this, but if it happens on a Accuframe or Tiburon, you'd be out some $$$. I'd like to have the tool on hand for the future.

Can y'all recommend the best tool for this type of job? As you can see I already mangled it up pretty good using a dull drill bit.  ::)

Bill B

Maybe try a left handed drill bit?  Heat and cool it with 50/50 acetone trans fluid multiple times then try the L/H drill bit......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Hardy Boy

Bill hit the nail on the nail on the head. The left hand bit has worked very well on screws in posts and bars. The heat and soak also helps.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

PacRat

+1 on the left handed drill bits. Just be careful with the quality of the bits because some are very poor quality. Do your practicing on that Penn bar because it has soft brass screws. If this happens to an aluminum frame you will be trying to drill a much harder stainless screw in a much softer aluminum frame. The drills always want to track towards the softer metal so Newell, Accurate and Tiburon are 10x more difficult and the stakes are much higher. It's very important that you center-punch the broken screw accurately because there is very little room for error. Like the others said; penetrating oil and hot/cold cycles are very helpful. Time is also your friend so be patient and let the penetration oil do its thing. The best cure is an ounce of prevention. I have been successful with some Newell bars but it was very difficult.
Good Luck

Midway Tommy

Left hand bits work but an easy out works a heck of a lot better, plus they don't break nearly as easy. Irwin/Hanson makes small ones. The 53701 is perfect for most reel applications.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

I use quality easy-outs also.

Also use a drill press coupled with a drill press mounted vise for the small pilot hole.

Another effective trick is using the drill press and table/bed-mounted vise -- drill as large a hole as possible without touching the threads -- then re-tap the threads in the crossbar -- any extra material left in the hole will also fill in any slop when the new screw is installed.

Or let me know if none of this is possible -- and I can send you a new crossbar.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Jimmer

Soak it with your choice of break free oil first.  Drill it lightly with a self centering vix bit first to get a true center mark. then go in with left handed drill bits. starting small and working your way out until the remainder comes out or collapses. Almost always works for me. Good luck - Jimmer
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

alantani

i have zero patience.  i get a propane torch, hit it with the tip of the blue flame, then count to 20.  then you can try the other ways.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Donnyboat

The best prevention,plenty of yamaha marine grease, as soon as you get a reel, then you never have that trouble, good luck cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

nelz

Thanks for all the tips guys. Gonna need to buy some lefty bits and a reversible drill.

Fred, my work bench is the kitchen table, so the wife might take issue with a drill press, lol. Thanks for your kind offer as well.

FYI, this screw was not stuck from corrosion, it did not snap upon attempting removal, rather I snapped it by over-tightening. I removed it just fine, but it was difficult to get it back in, then suddenly it went.

Alan, will heat work when corrosion didn't cause it?

PacRat

We probably weren't real clear about the left hand bits. Being as you have to first drill the screw for an easy-out, you may as well do this with a left hand bit because it will usually remove the screw before you ever get to the easy-out. With a lefty bit it will be loosening (or trying anyway) rather than tightening as with a right hand bit. Also, you need to be extremely careful with the tiny easy-outs because they are somewhat delicate. Lastly...this will be extremely difficult without a drill-press and vice.

mo65

Quote from: PacRat on March 31, 2020, 04:04:57 AM
This will be extremely difficult without a drill-press and vice.

Agreed.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Dominick

Before I read this thread I had never heard of a left hand drill bit.  What are they usually used for?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

Drilling holes south of the equator.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

foakes

Quote from: Dominick on March 31, 2020, 02:19:15 PM
Before I read this thread I had never heard of a left hand drill bit.  What are they usually used for?  Dominick

Mostly that is all they use South of the equator, Counselor!  😁😁😁

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.