wallacewt

hi sal,
would that dog spring stay in place under fishing conditions
jarring and bumping around.
is it just for show?
i maybe wrong but it looks a bit suss.
cheers buddy

Alto Mare

I can assure you that the dog spring isn't going anywhere Wallace. Once you set the bidge you won't be able to pull it off even if you wanted to. It is for show though, it will show us that it can handle 30lb ;). Later buddy.

Thanks Justin!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

wallacewt

Robert Janssen

Anecdote about all this double dogging and sideplate carving going on....

Many years ago, one of the old tool-and-die guys from Penn posted that he tried to have that second pocket made in all the Senator sideplates, but frustratingly, they wouldn't let him for some reason.

It had nothing to do with a second dog, but he had realized that this would have allowed lefty-righty reversibility in the same part.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Robert Janssen on July 18, 2012, 07:52:10 AM
Many years ago, one of the old tool-and-die guys from Penn posted that he tried to have that second pocket made in all the Senator sideplates, but frustratingly, they wouldn't let him for some reason.

It had nothing to do with a second dog, but he had realized that this would have allowed lefty-righty reversibility in the same part.

You had to hear that from someone, your hands look too young :-\
About that second pocket, it is great for left to right handed reels, but not so good for the double dogs options... for me anyway.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Robert Janssen

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 18, 2012, 09:44:21 AM
You had to hear that from someone, your hands look too young :-\

Naw, my hands are getting used to it...
Well, lemmesee... say he wrote that post seven years ago. He was retired then, and this was something he'd done long before... Average term of employment at Penn is like twenty years.. I don't know how often Penn retooled their molds... Maybe in the seventies? Dunno.

Anecdote, as said...

Alto Mare

I had a couple of buddys that worked at Penn; hunting partners up in the Poconos. There is only one left now and he's pushing 80, he doesn't come out with us anymore.
Would you believe that they used to assemble reels and both didn't enjoy fishing? Serious hunters though.

alantani

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 18, 2012, 11:13:55 AM
Would you believe that they used to assemble reels and both didn't enjoy fishing?

i thought that was a requirement for the job.   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Yea, me too. They both did have Penn reels though :-\. About 10 years ago one of the guys asked me if I wanted to go over his house and take wathever I wanted, but I never did go.

Irish Jigger

Bryan Young

I'd fly out to pick up all of their old new stock. As long as I can sell it to recoup my flight cost for the parts that I don't need.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

john2244

Bryan,

I want to go too. !!!!

John

Alto Mare

Unfortunately the buddy that made me that offer is no longer with us :(

Bryan Young

Sorry to hear of your friend.  No matter how long ago, I'm sure he is missed. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D