Penn 114H second AR dog

Started by Alto Mare, November 29, 2011, 10:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I had some extra time today so I decided to play around with some reels. Is there anyone here that has ever installed a second dog on a Penn 114H? If it has been done already I won't even bother showing it. It seems that the dogs are engaging properly. Didn't put the reel back togheter to test it though, I need a couple of additional parts to complete it.  We'll see how that goes :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

i'd love to see it!  as far as i know, it has not been done. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

I just put the right side plate on one of my other reel to test it and it's working great. You do need patience to assemble the bridge plate with the two dogs, but, it can be done. I used one of those older plates with the easy access drag system, I don't think I would try it with the later models. I will show some shots when I get a chance.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

That's classic - I've been thinking about this for a while, but hadn't had the time yet to test it out.
I assumed one would need to Dremel out a little more room around the bottom of the left bridge screw and use a silent dog (rather than a dog/spring set-up).
Looking forward to seeing how you got it all to work.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

broadway

Sal,

You're unbelievable... I never asked if you still work or are retired cause if you still work... you're my hero!
I would love to see how ya did it, so I can do it to my 114hlw's for sharkin'.
Thanks
Dom

Alto Mare

Hey guys. Here's a couple of shots of what I did...

I didn't have time to label each picture but, I did want to point out that taping the screws in place helps a lot here. The added dog has the spring from a larger Senator (I think a 10/0). You need to drop the gear in before you place the dogs. You will need to use a small screw driver to position the dog so that the bridge plate will slide in. I'm sure that this process can be refined...it was my first attempt! Overall, the reel is a bit nosier due to the additional dog (but that's a small price to pay, considering). Yes, Justin, you were right, I used a dremel. Dom, thanks for always having kind words, I wish I was retired but I think that won't happen until they are lowering me down...6 ft. down...and as for being a hero, I can't claim that title (well, except for when I sneak some T-Bone into my dog's dish!)

wallacewt

redsetta

That's great Sal, almost exactly as I imagined - a cracker job as always.
Quote...except for when I sneak some T-Bone into my dog's dish!
Good call! ;D
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Dominick

Salvatore, che è un grande lavoro.  Tu sei un bravo meccanico.  Ciao, Domenico
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Pescachaser on November 30, 2011, 03:06:48 AM
Salvatore, che è un grande lavoro.  Tu sei un bravo meccanico.  Ciao, Domenico
;D

George4741

What a brilliant idea!  And you made it work, too!

viurem lliures o morirem

Norcal Pescador

Sal, buon amico -

Is there anything you don't do successfully the first time?  Like Wallace said, "Goodonya!"
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

broadway

I know why you did this modification... someone double-dog dared ya ;D ;D
Great job, as always!
Dom

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Irish Jigger