Hello from shelby china.

Started by shelby.hong, April 01, 2020, 01:27:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midway Tommy

Quote from: oc1 on April 24, 2020, 07:45:15 PM
Some of us find cell phone tacking creepy and keep turning off the location function.  The US government (from the president on down) are trying to make us comfortable with the idea.  Think what you want about the ACLU, but at least they are trying to push back against it.  There are some recent articles about it in Forbes.  But, if you try to access Forbes on line it takes forever to load while they collect all your information.

Quote from: Midway Tommy on April 24, 2020, 02:27:08 AM
some are using this virus thing to try to permanently change the way we function.  

-s

HA! They're never going to track me unless they shoot me with a tranquilizer gun and do an implant.  :D I don't own a cell phone, not even a flip phone, and I don't plan on ever getting one. I had one type or another of mobile phones from 1974 through 2014 when I retired. At that point I decided I would never have another one. I haven't regretted it and this is one more reason not to ever give in.  ;D "Out of sight - out of mind", that's my motto.   ;)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Donnyboat

I see were your coming from Tommy, but I incurrage all old people to carry a mobile with them @ all times, I had a tractor blow up on me a few years back, smashed my shoulder & two or three ribs, I managed to get myself out from under a landcruicer, prop myself up get the mobile out of my pocket then ring for help, know way, could I have driven home that day, & there are many older people fall over & brake hips & so forth, Pat & I dont have a landline any more, just a mobile each, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

DougK

Quote from: Midway Tommy on April 25, 2020, 06:38:55 AM
HA! They're never going to track me unless they shoot me with a tranquilizer gun and do an implant.  :D I don't own a cell phone, not even a flip phone, and I don't plan on ever getting one.

I'm with you.. as an IT monkey I started carrying a pager back in the 80s, so work could track me down..  the whole idea of cell phones was never very attractive to me.. luckily once we moved out to Colorado, there's lots of canyons with no phone access, so I'd go fish there.
'oh you called for an urgent database problem Sunday 11am ? sorry I was out of phone service area' ;-)

thanks shelby for the updates, interesting..
the key to getting the virus under control is testing, tracking, isolation.. so it's going to be a big problem here in the US for some time yet..

Ron Jones

It all comes down to the American idea of freedom and personal responsibility. Everyone has an idea of what they are willing to give up. Not that I want anyone to stop participating here, but it should be pointed out that a LOT of data about each of us is collected from this site.

Ron Jones (DO you HEAR THAT Bots? My name is Ron Jones!)
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Rivverrat

Quote from: oc1 on April 24, 2020, 07:45:15 PM
Some of us find cell phone tacking creepy and keep turning off the location function.  The US government (from the president on down) are trying to make us comfortable with the idea.  Think what you want about the ACLU, but at least they are trying to push back against it.  There are some recent articles about it in Forbes.  But, if you try to access Forbes on line it takes forever to load while they collect all your information.

Quote from: Midway Tommy on April 24, 2020, 02:27:08 AM
some are using this virus thing to try to permanently change the way we function.  

-s

Sentiment is shared... Jeff

Gfish

Quote from: Ron Jones on April 26, 2020, 07:58:42 PM
It all comes down to the American idea of freedom and personal responsibility. Everyone has an idea of what they are willing to give up. Not that I want anyone to stop participating here, but it should be pointed out that a LOT of data about each of us is collected from this site.

Ron Jones (DO you HEAR THAT Bots? My name is Ron Jones!)

Midway, not lookin for an answer, but you post on this and other sites, right? With what? A digital device connected the internet via Wi-Fi or LTE? Even if you don't carry your device around with you, you can be tracked whenever/wherever you use it. If you use a credit card, that can be tracked too. I prefer cash for local brick and mortar stores, and they all have cameras nowadays. Same with heavily used city streets. How about our modern vehicles, might they have factory installed tracking technology?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Rivverrat

Dont know that all vehicles have it. But a lot do have location features. It could potentially be both a good & bad thing. It all depends on who's looking & why... Jeff

Benni3

Well the federal agency's got to much to do then track you to the grocery store,,,,,, ;) if you're not a bad person or up to no good,,,, ??? Then you don't have anything to worry about and it's a good thing to because if you wasn't there you can't get framed,,,,,,,, ;D

Rivverrat

It's a dilemma that seems tag along with a lot of tech advances. It started when man first started throwing spears, launching arrows & shooting guns. Simple  tools that can be used for the over all good or bad.  It comes down to the intent of those holding them... Jeff