need help to take this T-bar knob from the handle blank

Started by steelfish, April 02, 2020, 06:42:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

ok guys, I got this reel with the handle knob toasted, so , I need to take it out to install a new handle knob, i can turn the screw at the other side of the blank both ways so thats doesnt worked, other similar knobs have a flat side on the  shaft of the knob to hold it with a plier and unscrew the knob from the shaft.
as you can see I already put some ugly marks on it from the pressure lock pliers with no luck, so before dremeling out the screw and turn the handle into garbage, I would like to know if someone have already taking one knob like this out from the handle without damaging it.

this model doesnt have tiny hex screws to secure the handle shaft to the knob like other models
The Baja Guy

Jim Fujitani

Looks like a torx head screw holding it on.  I'm sure somebody with more experience will chime up. 

And don't forget, probably some red permatex on the threads of the screw.

thorhammer

check that hole in top of knob- should be a set screw down in there. I don't have that exact knob but some close to it- remove the set if it is there and  knob should pull off to reveal end screw. (maybe :)

SoCalAngler

Quote from: thorhammer on April 02, 2020, 05:29:08 PM
check that hole in top of knob- should be a set screw down in there. I don't have that exact knob but some close to it- remove the set if it is there and  knob should pull off to reveal end screw. (maybe :)

X2  Most likely there is a set screw in there that holds the knob on. If I were a betting man seeing the the handle already has a Torx on one side the set screw may be Torx as well or maybe a allen head.

Get a flashlight and see if you can look into that hole for the head type.

I have a similar aftermarket handle but on mine you can see the set screw's head is outside of the hole.

thorhammer

steelfish

Quote from: SoCalAngler link=topic=30788.msg358787#msg358787quote]

Get a flashlight and see if you can look into that hole for the head type.

Already did that and I could saw was the threads of the shaft that secure the knob.

I continue to look on the web ana found this.. actually this looks like being the same model
so, I think I need to find a way to "break" the glue or oxide that locks the knob on the shaft
The Baja Guy

Wolli

The T-bars are often not greased at the factory.
If salt water is drawn from the handle Knob Srew (13) and penetrates in the Handle Shaft Retainer (2) and Handle Shaft Coat (40)
the screw can seize up. If the Handle Knob Screw is then turned with too much force, the thread can break off...
Then you can only pray that the rest of the screw will break off flat with the Handle Shaft Retainer. Otherwise i see no possibility to pull the Handle Shaft Coat out of the T-Bar. I would check with a needle if the threads in the Handle Shaft Retainer can be felt. If so, be happy, the Handle Shaft Coat stucks from salt only. If not, overthink to buy a new T-Bar.

Best

Wolli

love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)