Orvis 100

Started by Midway Tommy, April 03, 2020, 04:15:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark Hill

Thanks! I'm a big fan of using vintage lightweight and even some ultralight weight spinning reels when I out chucking smaller baits for smallmouth. The Orvis is a really nice reel for throwing hair jigs and smaller plastics. These old school worm gear style reels are serious old workhorses. I'm so happy to have found a site where people appreciate the classics like I do... AND, that know these reels inside and out like you all do. I'm getting much better on my personal reel repairs and now I'm learning so much from you guys....many thanks.
"Sell a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach a man how to fish, and he will start collecting and refurbishing old reels"

tristan

Tommy, thanks for this tutorial.

I've got a order coming in with 2 (hopefully) complete reels, some spools, and a spare chassis.

It appears it may be someone's project parts set that got moved on.   Time will tell...   

Hope to get them completely serviced and ready to mount to some old-school light rods I've picked up.

So the rotor nuts are unobtanium?    'Cause that extra chassis will be calling out to me in the night until I get it complete.    ;)

Midway Tommy

Quote from: tristan on May 26, 2021, 07:20:05 PM
Tommy, thanks for this tutorial.

I've got a order coming in with 2 (hopefully) complete reels, some spools, and a spare chassis.

It appears it may be someone's project parts set that got moved on.   Time will tell...   

Hope to get them completely serviced and ready to mount to some old-school light rods I've picked up.

So the rotor nuts are unobtanium?    'Cause that extra chassis will be calling out to me in the night until I get it complete.    ;)

Most of the parts for the Italian made Orvis reels are difficult to find. You either have to find used parts, a donor reel or make them. I bought a reverse thread tap a few years back to make a rotor nut for one Italian made reel. I don't remember for sure which brand it was, but it wasn't an Orvis. They're all similar, just different size pinions & threading.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

tristan

Well, my package arrived.

Seller noted a problem with a handle that I just can't find.   :shrug:

These look to be very sweet, old school light reels!   I'm looking forward to doing a cleanup and  service on them both.

It appears the handle crank spacers (gear rings?) require a special tool to remove.   What tool should I look for to remove them?  

Also, both reels do have a somewhat metal-on-metal sound when cranking, definitely sounds like its coming from the interface between the body and rotor.  Is this typical?

Tommy, did the washer upgrade you made work to quiet it down?    I'll be looking for thin acetal or delrin washers to add.   (hope to score a washer-cutter set one day...)

Anything particular I should watch out for when disassembling or reassembling, beyond the reverse-thread rotor nut?

Thanks in advance...

Danwin22

Very interesting.

Were these considered ultralight? 
USAF 1958-'62   NRA Member

tristan

Definitions vary, but I'd call them Light to Ultralight.

The drags seem like they would be suited to perhaps 10lb line at the absolute max.   WAG on my part.

I'm going to be trying them with 4-8lb. mono.

philaroman

L/ML, actually -- UL is 50/51 size
noticeably smaller  :)  noticeably more $$$  :(
Tom has it next to a 150 & 3-100's, here:
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=22628.msg360914;topicseen#msg360914

Midway Tommy

As Phil said, the 100 & 100A are light/medium light, the 50A/51A is considered UL.

QuoteIt appears the handle crank spacers (gear rings?) require a special tool to remove.   What tool should I look for to remove them?
Spanner wrenches similar to these are are what works best. I picked up mine a few years ago on da Bay for a couple of bucks. 

QuoteAlso, both reels do have a somewhat metal-on-metal sound when cranking, definitely sounds like its coming from the interface between the body and rotor.  Is this typical?

Yes, pretty typical on these old reels with the sandwich type bearing. There should be a felt washer (8th photo) that goes between the rear bearing washer and the body to help dampen noise, but the balls rolling against the washers do make a little noise. They usually quiet down a little bit once there's a grease film on the balls and both washers. Also, the Mylar washer I added in the spool has nothing to do with gear or rotation noise.   

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

tristan

Thanks for the info, Tommy!

The reels I picked up have some issues with removing the screws inside the case to allow the removal of the shaft.   Tight, tight, tight.   Need to soak them thoroughly in kroil and hope they break loose.    Don't want to mess them up or break anything.

And I always wondered what those tools were!    LOL.     Now I know.   ;)

I'll try to find one somewhere... 

Thanks again.

Christopher M Songer

This is outstanding. A gentleman dropped off his Orvis 100 for me to look at his bail spring. He got one on the Bay but it is not working. He said he bent it to make it fit! I could not find any info on this but sure enough you guys have all the info I need. Have not taken the bail off to even look at the spring yet. Wish me luck. Hoping I do not need to find another bail spring.  Well, I just opened it guess what, that new spring is not good. On he left is the old thick coil bail spring. On the right is what ever he got off Eww Bay.
Always go forward, never go straight

6thMichCav

Bet you can make a new one!

Midway Tommy

The alignment tolerances are very touchy for correct bail action on those things. Take your time & be patient. It may take quite a few attempts before you get it working correctly. 

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

handi2

Great Tommy,

It's been years since I have worked on one of these.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

thorhammer

Anyone know where I might find a 150A handle? Need a body as well if i could find it.

John

Gfish

Whoa! Looks like something I'd do, when twisting the coil spring to get it back in. Yes, patience. I'm starting to like the new-fangled straight pressure spring/lever style bails more, though.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!