is anyone here a fly fisherman? familiar with the reels?

Started by alantani, April 03, 2020, 04:55:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

i am reluctant to go too far afield, but there has been some interest expressed in a fly fishing and fly reel board.  just asking for a show of hands.  i've worked on them before, usually trying to find a way to incorporate greased carbon fiber.  i was successful on some, less so on others.  just curious to know how much interest there would be.  let me know!!!!!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

oc1

Not me, but want to learn.  I take up fly dishing about every fifteen to twenty years.  Never get to first base and never fall in love.
-steve

Cor

Never opened a reel like that.
Twice in my life tried fly fishing...... unsuccessfully.

I can understand why some enjoy it.
Cornelis

Keta

I was when I was a kid but it's been a real long time.  It wouldn't hurt to have a fly reel section.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Benni3

Quote from: alantani on April 03, 2020, 04:55:24 AM
i am reluctant to go too far afield, but there has been some interest expressed in a fly fishing and fly reel board.  just asking for a show of hands.  i've worked on them before, usually trying to find a way to incorporate greased carbon fiber.  i was successful on some, less so on others.  just curious to know how much interest there would be.  let me know!!!!!   ;D
Well here in Roanoke va,,,,, :) orvis has a factory outlet warehouse and my friend Rickey Wagoner,,,, ;) has good knowledge and I will call him up,,,,,,,,, ;D

Shark Hunter

My Son and Uncle are into it heavily.
I never took the full plunge.
I can do it, bit I prefer throwing with a spinner.
Life is Good!

Benni3

It's a different sport,,,,, ;) you can catch more fish,,,, :D but it is difficult standing like a statue and if you rig gets messed up,,,,,, >:( 15 to 20mins and knowing what fly to use,,,,,,yes ok,,,I go with a master,,,  dewayne,,,, ;) he is the best,,,,,, ;D

Gfish

Vote yes on that idea boss.
Like Benni alluded to, flyfishing is almost a whole new way to catch fish. To me it's like playing golf at Augusta or Pebble Beach vs miniture golf. Perhaps it's a ego thing, but flyfisherman make it harder to succeed on purpose. That said, there is a "holier than thou" attitude to beware of...
Myself I've been outta touch with new flyfishing technology and methods for a couple of years, YEA, to a new board.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

jurelometer

Maybe start with a fly reel board?  To me trip reports are trip reports,  and it might not be worth diluting that board.  Same goes with rod making mostly.   As a fly fishing nut,  I would be very happy if there was an  active fly fishing technique/tying board here, but I am not optimistic about the amount of traffic.  How do you feel about starting up a board, and then killing it off if the traffic is too low?

The thing about fly reels is that they mostly pretty simple.  So not too much to write about in a tutorial.   On the other hand, the reviews and breakdowns of fly reels out there today are almost universally horrible. So there is probably an audience for the type of stuff we do here, but directed to fly reels.  On the OTHER other hand, many of the big name, high dollar fly reel makers provide their own warranty and maintenance service, and may not sell parts, so these reels probably don't go to our repair folks as much.

There are experts out there in collectable reels.  There are tons of boutique reels.  Some really ridiculous fly  reels from conventional reel makers. There are also a few small scale reel makers that have superior products at very competitive price points.   And Fred probably has a couple dozen crates of old trout reels.  I suspect Tommy knows a thing or two as well.   So plenty of stuff to write about.   There could be a useful discussion on the properties of cork drags and the merits of converting a reel from cork to carbon fiber.

If you start a fly reel board,  I will post a tutorial.

-J

Tiddlerbasher

Fly fishing has been my goto sport for many years. As Dave alluded to there is not a whole lot to a standard fly reel and high end reels are fairly well supported by the manufacturers. For example many of the high end reels are already equipped with sealed cf drags. When it comes to budget/middle of the road stuff I've modified/improved a few but then again too few to mention :D
Fly fishing is different from any other form of the sport - there is a difficult learning curve but one worth climbing. When you watch a 'good' fly fisherman casting it is an artform. I am not really a collecter more  of a buy, try discard kind of guy - looking for that perfect combination of rod,reel and line not to mention the right fly on the day ;)
I don't think a flyfishing board would be overwelmed buy volume but it should attract some interest. I would be in favour and hopefully contribute.

Donnyboat

Hi Boss, i see were your coming from, I recently post a question of schematics for a fly reel, I received 40 odd comments with a lot of in depth resurch, from some very help full members, plus 550 views, this indicates there is a bit of interest out there, I must admit I have learnt plenty, this week, there is very little on this forum of fly fishing, fly reels, setting up lines under lay or leeders.
      there is a lot of fly fishing, on the east coast & Tasmania, in Australia, & ever more in new Zealand.
      your call boss, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Gobi King

Alan,
I took a stab at them last couple of years during salmon run,
the insides of an OKUMA
not sure why they have different drags in them as  you can see in the pic

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Jimmer

I would like to see one too. Where I will be moving to when my new house is done there are 5 class 1 trout streams within a few miles of my new location. I found my 1970 fenwick fly rod, got a new WF5F line and plan on doing some fly fishing tis year.  -  Jimmer
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Hardy Boy

You could do a fly reel, mooching reel and float fishing reel combo board as they are are basically alike and many manufacturers make all three reel types. They are usually straight forward and simple to work on although some of the English stuff has some funky threaded screws.

I do tons of mooching reels a year of several brands and a handful of high end fly reels (cheap ones not worth fixing or they are so simple they last for ever) and a handful of centerpin float fishing reels (usually bearings). A guy I used to work with is the Hardy warranty guy for Canada so I can get parts to work on those reels when need be. 

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Tiddlerbasher

"though some of the English stuff has some funky threaded screws."
The thread is Metric - it's what most of the world use ;D