is anyone here a fly fisherman? familiar with the reels?

Started by alantani, April 03, 2020, 04:55:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theswimmer

I'm in for a fly reel board.
Caught my first fish on a fly rod.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

El Pescador

Quote from: Donnyboat on April 04, 2020, 01:44:35 AM
Hi Wayne, your picture of fishing @ Pauley creek, is the flowing speed of that creek, about right, or would you prefer it faster or slower, cheers Don.

Donnyboat!!!  Don!!

To answer your question, the water flow that weekend in early August 2019 was just slightly lower than PERFECT!!!!  

BUTT perfect in all other aspects.  Water temp was 62 degrees, weather was sunny and warm.

And since 1994 when we first fished this area, we have NEVER SEEN ANOTHER FISHERMAN EVER.  EVER.

This canyon is special to us, we catch or have a strike on every third or fifth cast.  I say strike since we are both 63 years old, and the eye to hand coordination is slowing down.

Biggest fish I've caught here is 13", and for this stream, it is a monster.

Issue here is access.   We hike down a mountain bike trail called the Downieville Downhill trail, and when we see a good fishing hole to fish, we have to drop down a steep hillside to the Pauley.

BUTT once down there, it is fishing heaven for us.  

Never seen another fisherman, and NEVER SEEN a piece of trash while in the canyon.

Do pick up the trash left on the trail by the bike riders, ie, GOOP containers, PowerBar wrappers, and left-behind shredded tires and tubes.

Thanks for asking.

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Donnyboat

Thanks Wayne, after I turnt my computer off, I thought maybe there is coralations to it such as, size fly your using, WT line, possibly making some difference & so on, look like a nice area alright, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

wfjord

Yep. Long time... nearly 40 years.  For many years that was my primary type of fishing. I probably caught more stripers on a fly rod than on any other kind of tackle. Started off ffing in saltwater, now mostly freshwater, but liked targeting stripers, trout, smallmouth, snook, redfish, panfish and most anything else that might take a fly. I work on my own reels whenever possible, but recently had to send a Cimarron C3 back to Ross Reels to get a bent rim fixed (under lifetime warranty) and ordered some spare parts for one of my pre-98 Gunnison G5's while I was at it.

Have a decent selection of both disc drag and click & pawl reels ranging, collectively, from 3wt to 9wt.  I have a particular fondness for classic click-pawl reels.

Also tie most of my own flies.

And I still love to use my old Spinfishers, baitcasters, and conventional reels... and try to avoid ffing purist snobs.

Bill B

I've fly fished once with disastrous results, but some how managed to acquire these three reels, a silver no name, a Pfluger 1494, and a Japanese no name.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Donnyboat

Hi wFjord, you have a nice range of gear, what colour fly do you find is the most productive for you, they have a hatchery over here & rear a lot of fingerlings, they feed the fingerlings on corn, so most fishers in our area use corn instead of fly`s, Tommy, the black reel in the centre, looks very much like the young reel that I started this post with, is there any ID on the inside of it, I bet you have had it apart, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Midway Tommy

Bill,

Your silver no name is an Edwards Crown 60 (Chicago, IL) Salt Water Fly Reel.

Don,

If you are talking about Bill's 3 reels the one in the center is a Pfluger 1494.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Donnyboat

Apologize Bill, Tommy, not that good looking ay, thanks Tommy, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Bill B

Wow Tommy....can't believe you could ID that reel...thank you for the link.....Bill

Here's a link to E W Edwards in Wikipedia
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/E.W._Edwards

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

wfjord

Quote from: Donnyboat on April 06, 2020, 12:57:36 AM
Hi wFjord, you have a nice range of gear, what colour fly do you find is the most productive for you,

It can vary greatly, but for trout in the local tailwater and other regional trout streams, if I had to pick a single color it would be variations of tan, sometimes with green, yellow, or orange like these caddis patterns I found on google images. A little bit of flash tied in is helpful, too.

Donnyboat

Hi wFjord, thanks for your preferd fly & colours, very interesting, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

wfjord

If, (hopefully) there's a good chance a fly fishing board section will become a reality, here are some ideas for possible board format scenarios.  Some topics in the 2nd & 3rd categories could be rearranged or make for additional board(s) if necessary.

--Fly Reel Information, Maintenance, & Repair

--Fly Lines, Backing, Leaders, Knots & Flies

--Fly Rods, Fly Casting, Fishing Techniques

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wfjord

My pleasure. :)

wfjord

Hey, you've already done it. That looks great. Thanks.