Penn Torque 80-130 Rod Question

Started by joel8080, April 14, 2020, 11:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joel8080

I did not know were to place my question, but I learned a long time ago to go to the top for the first guess.
Just before the 8 day trip I bought a Torque 80-130 lb rod, I caught a couple of fish with it and I really enjoyed fishing it, I had a Penn Fathom 40/L2 reel on it, it was a winch, My feeling the reel is to heavy for the rod what reel do you suggest to use with it aside from a lot of hot rod reels, I have a Torque 12 with all the gear sets a Fathom 25 and the 40.
Let me know your ideas.

joel8080
Oceanside,California

alantani

i'm not familiar with individual rods.  it would be nice to be able to actually pull on it to see.  for starters, what's the length?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

conchydong

If my memory is correct that would be a speed jigging rod, less than 6' in length. I would use your Fathom 25N with 65lb-80lb braid so you have enough line capacity for the heavier butterfly style jigs that rod was intended for. I agree the 40 is too much reel for that rod. Your Torque 12 might be better suited for slow pitch jigging where lighter lines and more forgiving rods are used. For a 8 day long range, I would look for a 7'-8' rod better suited for bait fishing.

joel8080

The rod is 5' 8" it's skinny like a fly rod,
I was thinking the 25 would be nice the TRQ 12 is great but I'm afraid it does not hold enough line. The 25 has 50 lb Spectra and the TRQ 12 has 40 Spectra.

joel8080
Oceanside,California

Tunanorth

Quote from: joel8080 on April 14, 2020, 11:50:17 PM
I did not know were to place my question, but I learned a long time ago to go to the top for the first guess.
Just before the 8 day trip I bought a Torque 80-130 lb rod, I caught a couple of fish with it and I really enjoyed fishing it, I had a Penn Fathom 40/L2 reel on it, it was a winch, My feeling the reel is to heavy for the rod what reel do you suggest to use with it aside from a lot of hot rod reels, I have a Torque 12 with all the gear sets a Fathom 25 and the 40.
Let me know your ideas.

joel8080

Hi Joel,
This series of rods only has a "braid rating", which can definitely throw people off when trying to put together a well-matched combo, especially when most anglers are used to mono ratings.
this is a nice rod, but not an especially  good match for an FTH40NLD2 on 8-day trips.
This rod works exceptionally well with the Fathom FTH25NLD2 or FTH30LD2, and 30 or 40 pound topshots, but its sweet spot is at 40.
The next heavier model in this series [the 80-200 model] matches best with the FTH30LD2, and 40 or 50-pound topshots, but its sweet spot is at 50.
The above applies to both the "7-foot" versions of these rods, as well as the "speed jigging" versions which are much shorter. 
Steve
PS- I am trying to make sure that when this series is updated, that mono ratings are also included.
PPS- ***EDIT***Just realized that you said it was a "Torque" rod.
Are you sure its not a "Carnage II"?
If it is in fact a Torque rod, then it is a very old series, discontinued over 10 years ago. It would probably be best to re-assign it to lingcod jigging or other more basic assignment.

joel8080

It"s a Torque like new, I put the 25 on it and it felt great, I am not sure if the rod was ever used if it was 1 or 2 times.

joel8080
Oceanside,California

Tunanorth

Quote from: joel8080 on April 18, 2020, 01:16:24 PM
It"s a Torque like new, I put the 25 on it and it felt great, I am not sure if the rod was ever used if it was 1 or 2 times.

joel8080

Yes, the 25N size will match it well.
The original design [sanded blank] may not be suitable as a tool for 8-day trips.