Main Menu

Sold on Hold

Started by Maxed Out, April 03, 2020, 05:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Been hashing out contract details to sell our bar & grill since last summer and new owner was scheduled to take over April 1st.(bad timing) Needless to say, we are now in a holding position and have now had to spend a bunch to renew licenses that expired in the end of March. Hopefully things will get back on track soon.

In the meantime, lots of cleaning going on at the bar. Also gathering up a few items that will go home with me. One item in particular is a rotating Olympia beer sign that originally hung from the ceiling in a resort/bar my dad and business partner purchased in 1967. Years later dad took it home and I eventually ended up with it and hung it in our bar over 20 years ago. When it lights up, the waterfall and river goes in motion as the whole sign slowly rotates. We rarely turned it on, so everything still works great. Just got 20 years of grime to clean off
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Hardy Boy

That would be sweet in my cave !! I remember my dad drinking that one summer when the Canadian breweries went on strike and he had to get American beer from the states for the annual family boat vacation!! he never bought it again afterwards ...................... I wonder why ?? ::)

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

xjchad

Wow, that is really cool Ted!
Got to be a rare one!

I'm sorry to hear about the sale being put on hold. That's got to be frustrating!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

ReelFishingProblems

My wife grew up in Centralia, and says she loves this!

conchydong

That is nice. I remember drinking Olympia Beer in South Florida in the late '70s, Strange that we had distribution for it that far away from the source. I guess it is no longer being brewed as I haven't seen it in decades.
That was way before there was even Coors beer in Florida.

I would imagine a bar & grill is similar to a boat. The two best days are when you buy one and then the day when you finally sell it.

Scott

Maxed Out

Quote from: conchydong on April 03, 2020, 07:38:37 PM
That is nice. I remember drinking Olympia Beer in South Florida in the late '70s, Strange that we had distribution for it that far away from the source. I guess it is no longer being brewed as I haven't seen it in decades.
That was way before there was even Coors beer in Florida.

I would imagine a bar & grill is similar to a boat. The two best days are when you buy one and then the day when you finally sell it.

Scott
Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on April 03, 2020, 07:27:19 PM
My wife grew up in Centralia, and says she loves this!

Your right Nick, the Olympia sign brings back lots of memories. Back then Olympia beer was very popular along with a few others like Heidleberg, Lucky Lager, Schmit, Miller, and Rainer Beer. Ahhh, those were the days

Scott, I never knew Olympia was distributed outside the pacific northwest. It's been out of business for 30+ years, along with several other breweries that were here in the NW.

Bar and boat have one thing in common. I love them both. Other than that they are opposites. The boat bleeds money, and the bar pays for it. I already see my future will be less fishing once the new owner takes over.

Maxed Out

In case anyone is wondering, I don't have a "man cave" with a million beer signs, although I could've easily done so over 24 years at the bar. I don't really care for beer signs neon or otherwise, but there is one brand that was discontinued, so my salesman said I could have it. You wouldn't know by looking that it's a beer sign. It could just as easily be at a fishing lodge in Alaska or BC

gstours

Thanks for the chinook neon Ted,  as a youngster I grew up on tidewater in Olympia and took many a tour.
    I've seen the tavern neons and even the one with the water cascading down the falls.   Eventually Pabst bought out oly.  I think the brewery is still in operation.   It was actually located in Tumwater and has the slogan "it's the water ". Last winter I saw the beer in cans in Oregon at Fred Meyers.
   Good luck with your sale. 🐟

xjchad

Quote from: Maxed Out on April 03, 2020, 07:56:39 PM
In case anyone is wondering, I don't have a "man cave" with a million beer signs, although I could've easily done so over 24 years at the bar. I don't really care for beer signs neon or otherwise, but there is one brand that was discontinued, so my salesman said I could have it. You wouldn't know by looking that it's a beer sign. It could just as easily be at a fishing lodge in Alaska or BC

That is a rad sign Ted!

Someday I'll have a mancave of my own  ;D
Husband, Father, Fisherman

happyhooker

Ah, a cold Oly; that brings back a lot of memories.  I think it was available in a lot of places; I remember buying it in AZ in the '70s and MN in the '80s.  If I recall right, it got bought out by one of the big conglomerates (sp.) (Heileman?) like a lot of the smaller beers did, and eventually got downsized out of production.

Frank

ReelFishingProblems

This made me remember my grandfather's basement.
My grandfather served in The Army during WWII in the Pacific campaign, came home and worked as a county clerk for his home county until he retired. He was a great American, a little rough around the edges at times, but loved his family and his country with all his heart.

His basement had a beautiful pool table, old nickel slot machine, separate kitchen, with cases of vodka and bourbon. The freezer always had homemade cookies from grandma and candy bars that we would sneak as kids.

On the wall was paintings of great American Presidents and beer signs. My favorite was a Hamm's beer sign that had a starry night with twinkling stars. Found one for sale, but sure seems a steep price.

Swami805

Nice signs Ted, hope your sale get straightened out. 
I remember Olympia and Hamms here in So Cal. Nice signs!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Brewcrafter

Those are both beautiful signs, sorry about your business being caught up in all this mess.  Nowhere near as nice as yours, but here's one that I pulled out of a bowling alley bar in what was (at the time) and Air Force base here in SoCal (this would have been in the late 1970's):

I looked on my beer fridge to see if by chance I had one of their old "I know an Artesian well" bumper stickers but no dice. - john

Gfish

Having to renew your licenses bad!, must be expensive.
The brand loyalty thing with beer is interesting. If you's to pour 3 unidentified mugs of diffrent but typical American(say Oly, Coor's and Bud)beer out and ask someone with brand loyalty to pick there's, would they/you be able to?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Hardy Boy

That's why I drink Canadian beer Gfish !!

Cheers:

Todd
Todd