Inglis Reels

Started by Lunker Larry, July 17, 2020, 04:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunker Larry

Stopped by my buddies house the other day and he showed me these 2 reels he found while cleaning out his father in laws garage. I had to see what's inside so I offered to clean them up.
Hope to get at them this weekend. I'll follow up with some inside pics.
INGLIS REELS CANADA
During World War ll,John Inglis Co. Limited operated one of the largest ordnance plants in the British Empire.Specialized skills,developed in the high-precision manufacturing of arms and war weapons,later serving industrial peace-time requirements.In opening a new department at this plant , the Sporting Goods Department where fishing reels,rods and nylon fishing line were manufactured.Shortly after the cessation of hostilities,an agreemnet was signed between the Shakespeare Co. Kalamazoo,Michigan and the John Inglis Co. Limited,and immediately key men were sent by Inglis to the Shakespeare Co. to learn just how these reels were manufactured.With the constant aid of the Shakespeare Co. ,Inglis manufactured six models of reels in 1947,nylon line in five weights and three rods were made available.The Shakespeare slogan "Bulit Like A Watch" was a very true statement.The tolerances to which Shakespeare reels are manufactued  are just as exacting as those to which watches are made.Inglis had the best machinery available for this type of work in their plant,and were capable of doing the job with the utmost skill.Inglis carried on making reels,rods and lures for many years to come and always marketed the Shakespeare line of products manufactured by the US company.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Lunker Larry

Here's the other
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.

foakes

Years ago, I acquired an old wooden parts organizer box full of new old stock Shakespeare parts, Larry --

On the lid it reads -- Inglis.

I still have it -- but cannot post a photo since I am on the road heading to Colorado currently.

I also have around 100 pounds of old Vintage NOS Shakespeare Levelwind parts.

Problem is -- these seem to never need repairs.  So if anyone needs old Shakes parts for LW's -- let me know, I just might have them.

And I would welcome a buyer for these old parts.  Getting rid of nearly everything in my 3 shops -- that are not DQ, Penn, ABU/Zebco, or Mitchell spinner parts and reels.

Just throttling back a little in my work bench focus.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Lunker Larry

Well, not a technological marvel but kind of need in the simplicity of both reels.
The red reel had cork backing on the spool. Whatever held it on had long since crumbled so I used light garbage bag tie wire. Should be OK as these won't be fished again.
The Shakespeare Inglis had a neet drag. Just a small felt pad on the copper arm that would apply a bit of spool resistance when adjusted from the finger screw on the outside of the reel.
Why there was heavy dacron line on the reels is kind of bewildering.
At least they're cleaned up and working great as a family heirloom of sorts.

oc1

Quote from: Lunker Larry on July 21, 2020, 04:45:08 PM
The Shakespeare Inglis had a neat drag.

A casting drag, not a fish fighting drag.  I think the casting drag came first (1920's?).  Curious why they call them both drags.

Paul M, a Canadian guy on the ORCA forum,  knows a lot about those Inglis reels.
-steve