Main Menu

Diawa Sealine 300H

Started by xjchad, April 03, 2020, 09:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

Beefing up a few Sealine 300/350H reels.
These reels are really well made and very stout to begin with.
I'm just going to focus on upgrading the drag and adding a second dog.
I popped the first one open and started taking measurements.
Placed an order with Smooth Drag and should be able to start playing soon  ;D

Husband, Father, Fisherman

Decker

Chad, I've got a 300H on my project list. One upgrade I heard about here is to put the main gear from a 50H in that reel to up the retrieve ratio. 

I'll be watching your progress, bud.

xjchad

Quote from: Decker on April 03, 2020, 11:24:30 PM
Chad, I've got a 300H on my project list. One upgrade I heard about here is to put the main gear from a 50H in that reel to up the retrieve ratio. 

Haven't heard that one Joe, thanks for the info!

Darin Crofton

Quote from: xjchad on April 03, 2020, 11:30:54 PM

I did read about the 50H gear swap on here before and I have a donor 50H gear I could send Chad.
That way I could have a two different setups for the 300H's? Thanks for your skills/time buddy!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

xjchad

Quote from: Darin Crofton on April 03, 2020, 11:36:10 PM
Quote from: xjchad on April 03, 2020, 11:30:54 PM

I did read about the 50H gear swap on here before and I have a donor 50H gear I could send Chad.
That way I could have a two different setups for the 300H's? Thanks for your skills/time buddy!

Sounds good Darin, send it over  ;D

Decker

Porthos seems to have a lot of experience with the Sealine reels:  https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12068.msg161552#msg161552

Quote from: Porthos on October 06, 2015, 03:49:35 PM
The 300H's 3.7:1 gears have been swapped out for the 50H's 4.2:1 gears. That's how I ended up with a dark gray, lugged, and 4.2:1 geared 300H.

Bryan Young

Chad, you will need 5 carbon fiber washers and double stack a couple of them to make up your 3-stack.  Keep this in mind when ordering washers.  Check and double check thicknesses of the individual fiber washer compared to the HT-100 or Carbontex you will be installing in its place.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

JRD

I did one for a friend wanting a trolling reel for stripers, picked it up for $25 like New.  The drag stack came from Misc. disks and washers left from previous builds and one of Alan's handles.  If it had not been a gift to him I would have kept it for myself.  Very stout and easy design.

My only issue was getting the bearing re seated in the head plate, it gave me fits.  Waiting for pics of when your done.

xjchad

Thanks for the info and ideas guys!

Darin is sending a 50H gear set for one of the 300H's.

All three reels will get a 5 stack of Carbontex and factory metal washers.  I'll have to do some mods to the gear, but more on that later...

Stock drag stack:

Carbontex 5 stack:

Decker

Is that 5 stack a Smooth Drag kit? 

xjchad

Quote from: Decker on April 07, 2020, 11:51:48 PM
Is that 5 stack a Smooth Drag kit? 

Joe,
Smooth Drag does not sell a kit for it.
The Carbontex washers are from Smooth Drag, the metal washers are stock ones. I'll give all the details once it's all figured out  :)

Darin Crofton

This is getting fun to watch, the master at work, Chad!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?