Trinidad freespool clicker/drag

Started by Tomfl, November 30, 2011, 09:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomfl

The freespool clicker tension adjustment stopped working on one of my TN's. The friction is the same no matter which way I turn the knob.

I did a search here, came up with the trinidad/torium service thread, but nothing else.

Can someone give me an idea if this is something repairable? I had one years ago brand new that had no adjustment, but the dealer just swapped it for another reel.

Thanks

-T

alantani

here's the schematic for the trinidad 20.

http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/SAC/techdocs/en/Conventional/00TN_20_v1_m56577569830570263.pdf

and a couple of photos.

which can you give us an idea about here the problem is?  identifying parts by number is helpful.  want to make sure we stay on the right track.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tomfl

Alan, thanks for the response. Well I pulled the side plate off and found that the 317 gear is worn to the point of no return.

Where is the best place to order shimano parts from? I also need some line roller bearings for some spinners and a handle for a stradic.

-T

kamuwela

straight from shimano is the best place for parts. 1-877-577-0600  you can find the parts schematic and part number's at shimano america.

alantani

with no damage to the gear on set plate (#327)?  i actually grind those down or replace them with washers to improve freespool. 

Tomfl

Alan, no damage to 327 at all. Appears they were indeed ground down very nice and neat, possibly by previous owner. Just picked up 3 of these (2 20's and a 30, 30 has the aftermarket handle), didn't "need" more reels but the price was impossible to pass up, and they are in very, very good condition.

I've been using a few 20's and 30's for about 10 years, and looking at the internals on my original ones the gears are in perfect shape, so it can't be a wear item. For me, the adjustment on the clicker is a major reason why I bought the Trinidads to start with.

-T

conchydong

I know what reels you bought, I tried to buy one of the 20's but I was too late. You got a great deal. Congrat.s

alantani

yeah, you are basically turning a trinidad into a gold torium.  much better freespool this way.

Tomfl

Quote from: conchydong on December 02, 2011, 12:14:53 AM

I know what reels you bought, I tried to buy one of the 20's but I was too late. You got a great deal. Congrat.s

It helps to wake up at 4:30! He caught me on a morning I went fishing and paypaled him immediately.

Keta

Quote from: alantani on December 01, 2011, 03:58:03 PM
with no damage to the gear on set plate (#327)?  i actually grind those down or replace them with washers to improve freespool. 

I take the gear out and replaced it with a section of ink pen barrel cut to the proper length.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

Quote from: Keta on December 02, 2011, 03:25:25 PM
Quote from: alantani on December 01, 2011, 03:58:03 PM

I take the gear out and replaced it with a section of ink pen barrel cut to the proper length.

hmm that its so clever and even better than cut off and sand (part 317) plastic gear, you will still have the gear in case you deside to install it again.

thanks Keta

The Baja Guy