Vote For Next Tiburon Project?

Started by Vintage Offshore Tackle, April 04, 2020, 07:00:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Rivverrat on September 19, 2020, 10:22:54 PM
  After a short time with a Pro Gear 545 I am wondering if this may be a be a possibility ?   A true 4/0 size reel is going to grab more line with each turn of the handle but the 545 is of a much more user friendly size using already available 4/0 parts... Jeff

Jeff, I love the 545 too, but I'm not sure that I understand what you are suggesting in the way of a new Tiburon kit.  Would you please explain it for me?

Also, I need to know if I sent you the money that I owe you.  I don't think that I did.  Please shoot me a PM with payment instructions.

Thank you,

Randy

Swami805

Maybe something like a 3/0 magnum?  A 3/0 with 4/0 gears?  A little smaller than a 4/0 but more IPT than a 545 size. Interesting concept
Do what you can with that you have where you are

steelfish

Quote from: Swami805 on September 22, 2020, 08:39:10 PM
Maybe something like a 3/0 magnum?  A 3/0 with 4/0 gears?  A little smaller than a 4/0 but more IPT than a 545 size. Interesting concept

sounds great, but Im more into a 4/0 YTS magnum, in this part of Baja we need more power than line capacity, Maybe thats why Penn decided to call the new narrow reel 4/0 sized with 6/0 drags the Baja Special.

even tho I love my Baja Special, it has more moving parts than the goodold senator 113h, so, I need to say that I hate the "micro bearing" inside of the shaft of the disconecting spool, way too finicky.

The Baja Guy

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Alex, I have a pair of standard width Accurate 113H Magnums which feature the drivetrain of the 114H 6/0 Senator and are in 9.9 plus on a 10 scale condition.  They are hard to find collector reels, and are probably too pricey to fish with, but they sound like the reel that you are describing, and you might be able to find one in average used condition at an affordable price.

steelfish

beautiful reels Randy, as you said, too valuable collector item to actually use it for fishing.

The Baja Guy

milne

Oh Wow Randy,
                        Them are sure pretty to look at........
Beautiful reels.....

Col

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Rancanfish

Lee, I fished yesterday with the Jiggy 21xn kit and thought it was super.  Line lay on retrieval required almost no thought.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Thank you Alex and Col, and thank you Randy for the nice field report on the P21XN.

Lee, I really appreciate your input.  We did run the P21XN-HS kits for the 505/506HS originally, but there wasn't much demand.  We just did another run of the P21XN last month and I still have them in stock in silver and black, but unfortunately I didn't run any with the HS spools.  Next time I will try to do a better job promoting the HS option and hopefully we will get enough orders to run the special spool shafts.

Thanks again,

Randy

Rivverrat

Just throwing this out there. What is the possibility of a 545 / 3/0 N size reel with 4/0-6/0 guts & floating shaft. I believe there is a plus to using the 6/0 parts on a 3/0 reel. The brass / bronze gears & sleeve should hold up fine for most saving the cost of stainless with better drag performance regarding heat & smoothness.

Randy, I guess I'm just wondering about a 3/0 N or XN with beefed up drags. Not necessarily anything new. Would be neat if the 545 frame could be had with a free floating spool. I'm just dreaming... Jeff 

Swami805

Making spools with bearings in them like Abu's so the spool would be floating on the shaft? That would be something
Do what you can with that you have where you are

sharkman

How about narrow Long Beach frame.

RowdyW

Which LB? 60-65 or 66-67-68?       Rudy

sharkman

Either series would be great. There are a bunch of these reels out there. You can upgrade drags on both. I love 67 with upgraded drag for snook and grouper pier fishing.

RowdyW

Why not just build a 113H with a T4UN frame. Then you will have a stronger reel with much more drag capibility & a lot of possibilities for almost unlimited upgrades. Or just get a LB 66,or 66 posts,stand, & spool for your 67.       Rudy