Vote For Next Tiburon Project?

Started by Vintage Offshore Tackle, April 04, 2020, 07:00:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Ron, while I may be above average strength I don't believe I'm strong enough to do this... Jeff

Ron Jones

Jeff,
If you could do it I'd enjoy watching it, would be impressive!
Ronald Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Rivverrat

Ron, I just don't think I'm that impressive  ;D   It would be neat to know just how much force the stock set up with aftermarket drag washers could take. Heck I don't even own a rod that would be up for such a task much less me... Jeff

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Rocket Dog on February 10, 2021, 02:00:05 AM
Hi Randy, Any new projects in the works? Still looking to get a 300XN kit for my Newell or that XN Baja.

Jose, we have planned another run of 300XN kits for this summer.  The Baja Special spool assembly is too complicated and I don't want to take the risk.

thorhammer

Jeff, I think I recall Sal managed 75 lbs out of a fully Tanked 9/0 once, and those Magnum's are the same  drive train but set in billet, not bakelite. I'm sure he had an Ultimate kit if not Adam's insert, but that's what's possible. I just don't know many folks willing to try to hang on to 75lbs drag fishing stand-up in a rocking boat on a big fish...

I doubt you'd even round the brass sleeve with the Accurate aluminum blades on those.

Rivverrat

Quote from: thorhammer on February 12, 2021, 04:07:19 PM
Jeff, I think I recall Sal managed 75 lbs out of a fully Tanked 9/0 once, and those Magnum's are the same  drive train but set in billet, not bakelite. I'm sure he had an Ultimate kit if not Adam's insert, but that's what's possible. I just don't know many folks willing to try to hang on to 75lbs drag fishing stand-up in a rocking boat on a big fish...

I doubt you'd even round the brass sleeve with the Accurate aluminum blades on those.

I'd need to be seated in a proper chair, for sure... Jeff

thorhammer

I once torqued a 50 lb Magnaflex solid glass rod out of true on a big shark an eight footer, using a stock 114HLW. I was about 230, in really good shape back then, and I put everything I could on it to keep the shark straight up and down out of the reef.  Reel didn't even blink.

Rivverrat

Quote from: thorhammer on February 12, 2021, 04:52:32 PM
I once torqued a 50 lb Magnaflex solid glass rod out of true on a big shark an eight footer, using a stock 114HLW. I was about 230, in really good shape back then, and I put everything I could on it to keep the shark straight up and down out of the reef.  Reel didn't even blink.

This very cool ! ... Jeff

thorhammer

I've pics somewhere, and I never rewrapped the rod as that is my PB weight-wise, and an epic trip with my lifelong best friend to Largo. I eventually put Accurate plates and handle on that reel, but more for bling than I really needed to.

Randy, I'll start another thread....this one is off the proverbial rails, LOL. The Tib parts you sent are on point, and should get the builds done this weekend- there's also some new Ted swag in play, and a special piece for the Inspired By Sal thread.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

That's great John.  I'm sure that everyone would love to see some photos when you are finished with your projects.

steelfish

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on February 12, 2021, 02:50:14 PM
..............The Baja Special spool assembly is too complicated and I don't want to take the risk.

although sounds like a great mod for the Baja Special I also think the spool assembly is bit "over worked" with those two bearings on the right side of the spool. one micro bearing inside the shaft and a bigger bearing at the outside of the shaft.

The Baja Guy

ReelPatina

P100XN and P16XN seekers speak up!

thorhammer

LB 60 frame. Bunches of these around cheaply, and any reel cheaply is getting more difficult. The older ones have steel mains and clearly plenty of ways to upgrade drag and handles easily. Reel could easily fish 50lb braid for bottom bouncing but needs a frame- no clamp.

Decker

Quote from: thorhammer on June 03, 2021, 10:36:01 AM
LB 60 frame. Bunches of these around cheaply, and any reel cheaply is getting more difficult. The older ones have steel mains and clearly plenty of ways to upgrade drag and handles easily. Reel could easily fish 50lb braid for bottom bouncing but needs a frame- no clamp.

John, I had the same thought a couple of years ago.  It went over like a lead balloon, but as you suggested, the popularity and availability of the LB 60 ensure that a Tiburon kit would be successful. If not a spool and frame kit, at least a reel seat and bars.

mhc

trond_solem was doing a bit of CAD work with Penn frames back in 2015 and toying with getting someone to make them at a reasonable cost. He started talking 113H and Ted suggested the LB 60 would have no competition and possibly strong demand due to the number of 60's out there https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12633.0 There was also talk of drilling holes to suit the 2/0 plates as well - no one mentioned using it for the 85 or delmar though?  :)
Trond hasn't been active here since 2016 - I assume he didn't find a 'reasonable' priced manufacturer.

Mike

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.