alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Vote For Next Tiburon Project?
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
March 02, 2021, 04:19:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vote For Next Tiburon Project?  (Read 12985 times)
Rivverrat

« Reply #165 on: February 12, 2021, 02:36:31 AM »

Ron, while I may be above average strength I don't believe I'm strong enough to do this... Jeff
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 05:56:11 AM by Rivverrat » Logged
Ron Jones
Firearms Group

« Reply #166 on: February 12, 2021, 03:13:09 AM »

Jeff,
If you could do it I'd enjoy watching it, would be impressive!
Ronald Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"
Rivverrat

« Reply #167 on: February 12, 2021, 06:01:33 AM »

Ron, I just don't think I'm that impressive  Grin   It would be neat to know just how much force the stock set up with aftermarket drag washers could take. Heck I don't even own a rod that would be up for such a task much less me... Jeff
Vintage Offshore Tackle
Webmaster

« Reply #168 on: February 12, 2021, 02:50:14 PM »

Hi Randy, Any new projects in the works? Still looking to get a 300XN kit for my Newell or that XN Baja.

Jose, we have planned another run of 300XN kits for this summer.  The Baja Special spool assembly is too complicated and I don't want to take the risk.
thorhammer
Firearms Group

"You can't drank all day if you don't start..."

« Reply #169 on: February 12, 2021, 04:07:19 PM »

Jeff, I think I recall Sal managed 75 lbs out of a fully Tanked 9/0 once, and those Magnum's are the same  drive train but set in billet, not bakelite. I'm sure he had an Ultimate kit if not Adam's insert, but that's what's possible. I just don't know many folks willing to try to hang on to 75lbs drag fishing stand-up in a rocking boat on a big fish...

I doubt you'd even round the brass sleeve with the Accurate aluminum blades on those.
Rivverrat

« Reply #170 on: February 12, 2021, 04:32:51 PM »

Jeff, I think I recall Sal managed 75 lbs out of a fully Tanked 9/0 once, and those Magnum's are the same  drive train but set in billet, not bakelite. I'm sure he had an Ultimate kit if not Adam's insert, but that's what's possible. I just don't know many folks willing to try to hang on to 75lbs drag fishing stand-up in a rocking boat on a big fish...

I doubt you'd even round the brass sleeve with the Accurate aluminum blades on those.

I'd need to be seated in a proper chair, for sure... Jeff
thorhammer
Firearms Group

« Reply #171 on: February 12, 2021, 04:52:32 PM »

I once torqued a 50 lb Magnaflex solid glass rod out of true on a big shark an eight footer, using a stock 114HLW. I was about 230, in really good shape back then, and I put everything I could on it to keep the shark straight up and down out of the reef.  Reel didn't even blink.
Rivverrat

« Reply #172 on: February 12, 2021, 05:17:44 PM »

I once torqued a 50 lb Magnaflex solid glass rod out of true on a big shark an eight footer, using a stock 114HLW. I was about 230, in really good shape back then, and I put everything I could on it to keep the shark straight up and down out of the reef.  Reel didn't even blink.

This very cool ! ... Jeff
thorhammer
Firearms Group

« Reply #173 on: February 12, 2021, 05:52:17 PM »

I've pics somewhere, and I never rewrapped the rod as that is my PB weight-wise, and an epic trip with my lifelong best friend to Largo. I eventually put Accurate plates and handle on that reel, but more for bling than I really needed to.

Randy, I'll start another thread....this one is off the proverbial rails, LOL. The Tib parts you sent are on point, and should get the builds done this weekend- there's also some new Ted swag in play, and a special piece for the Inspired By Sal thread.
Vintage Offshore Tackle
Webmaster

« Reply #174 on: February 12, 2021, 05:54:13 PM »

That's great John.  I'm sure that everyone would love to see some photos when you are finished with your projects.
steelfish
the Baja Guy
Sensei

Sea of Cortez

« Reply #175 on: February 16, 2021, 08:24:02 PM »

..............The Baja Special spool assembly is too complicated and I don't want to take the risk.

although sounds like a great mod for the Baja Special I also think the spool assembly is bit "over worked" with those two bearings on the right side of the spool. one micro bearing inside the shaft and a bigger bearing at the outside of the shaft.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: