Penn 113h Reel/Tank

Started by Alto Mare, December 02, 2011, 02:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 24, 2015, 01:01:37 PM
Recently, I had a conversation with Alan Chui ( Black Pearl ),  the stainless steel double dog bridge and second generation ss gears ( similar to the penn versa drag ) should be available soon. These upgrades will be nice.

Sal

wow that 2nd gen SS gears for the 4/0 sounds good.

Im in the process to build a tank too, but without any hurry..and those drags sounds like a winner since the newell drags are really hard to find, this will be my big grouper special stock size 113h.

dont you know what estimated date have Alan on mind for those gears?

The Baja Guy

stoked4fishin

Hi

Can you tell me more about the main gear upgrade?  It looks like the Baja Special main gear.  Will this work in the older side plate that allows the drags to be changed without taking the gear out?

Thanks

Jeff

Alto Mare

Hello Jeff, the gear you're looking at at the right is a newell gear. That gear was customized by me using hand tools, something I would never do again, it was extremely hard. That gear has been tested on the water by one of our top fisherman here, Dominick, he has caught lots of fish with it.
Soon, we will forget about those and move on with something better, as the 113HX.

To answer your question about the easy access drag system, yes, the 113HX will also work on those.
The 113HX are due in soon, I will be testing those and will let everyone know exactly how many washers they will take on the easy access plates and standard plates.

Here is a list of some of the other upgrades we're working on, this would be the place to check for updates:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13264.0

Stay tuned!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

stoked4fishin

Ah, so you are Black Pearl!
Thanks for the quick reply Sal.  I have the double dog bridge set-up on a jigmaster, and it is awesome!  Let me know when you have the 113H version available!
Jeff

Keta

Quote from: stoked4fishin on July 05, 2015, 04:15:33 PM
Ah, so you are Black Pearl!  

Sal is not "Black Pearl" but he comes up with a lot of good mods.  Alan C, Black Pearl, graciously provides us with access to manufactures that make the wonderful goodies we must have.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

stoked4fishin

Oops :D
In any case, I'm learning a lot from the site, and having fun!
Thanks

Gman_WC

A 113H SS bridge would be a huge upgrade!

-g
Walnut Creek, CA

Alto Mare

Quote from: Gman_WC on July 18, 2015, 04:06:34 AM
A 113H SS bridge would be a huge upgrade!

-g
Its already done Gary, but I'm not sure when they will get here. They had to make minor adjustment to make it work in all the plates available to us, I believe they were able to get it done.
There are two plates available, one with one cutout for the dogs, and the other with two cutouts. The bridge I'm showing, I was able to make it work on both plates. The plate with one cutout needed minor grinding, it wasn't a big deal, but Alan Chui, wanted a drop in unit.

Also, the second run of gears did great

The pinion and main are heat treated.
To me these feel much smoother and quieter than the earlier ones. Alan said they're from the same manufacturer, but I do feel the difference.
I tested those with Adam's insert and got 44 lb by pulling...nice gears

The 10 tooth ss sleeve did very good as well, didn't take away the slop completely, but I'm guessing 50%. Having dogs working intermittently would take away some more.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Sweet! I have been waiting on those gears. 44 lbs! Go Tank!
I Guess Dominick is going to have to send it back again. ;D
Lets see a Baha pull 44 lbs. Snap, Crackle, Pop!
Life is Good!

Dominick

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 18, 2015, 09:25:26 PM
you're jealous because Sal works my tank for me.   :D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Newell Nut

You been pumping enough iron to hold that reel at max drag?? ;D

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Dominick on July 18, 2015, 09:58:39 PM
you're jealous because Sal works my tank for me.   :D Dominick
Yes, I am! ;D
Life is Good!

Gman_WC

44#'s....that's a lot of drag for a small reel.
-g
Walnut Creek, CA

Alto Mare

That number is for testing purpose only. This reel could handle 30lb of drag.

steelfish

I know there is not a war with the Baja special and the Sal's 113h tank, but when some one get in the custom made parts World Then you expect to make the parts better than factory.
Baja was never the flag ship of Penn but a factory made 113h narrow with some of the specs of the yellow tail special "customized reel" with some twecks here and there and with a price affordable enough for most of the weekend warrior fishermen with no tools and knowleage to made theyself the tank parts.
Dont get me wrong, I love the Baja special but I slowly getting parts and saving enought to build me a 113h Sal's Tank too but on the normal width for be my grouper special and trolling reel and the Baja Will be my Yoyo, cut bait and live bait reel.

For me 113h tank and Baja Special dont compete against each other but contrary they complement the disvantages on each and will be the perfect couple reels on every trip.
(I hope the have explain my main idea, English is not my natural lenguage)
The Baja Guy