Penn 113h Reel/Tank

Started by Alto Mare, December 02, 2011, 02:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Just bringing an old joke back from the biginning , Rob. Later Bro.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

I knew you wouldn't pass on a challenge... like I said that reel is a behemoth!
Nice old school fighting belt ;)
Dom

Alto Mare

Dom, I wouldn't push it any further with that aluminum spool. When I get a chance I will be putting one together with the one piece cast  spool, I won't have any worries pushing it to its limit then. Good thing most guys prefer the aluminum spools.... that gives me a better chance to find a few one piece cast spools for myself ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

Sal,
I don't blame ya for not pushing that aluminum spool... the chromed over spool can take anything. 
As for getting your paws on the chromed over spools... hope we won't be bidding against each other ;)
Dom

Alto Mare

Dom, you need to pay more attention bud. Did you see what's in the bottom drawer of my custom cabinet? I think there are about a dozen of those spools in new condition ;). Sal

broadway

I should've known... shame on me ;) BTW, I bought 8 113HSP's (USA made) when I knew they were taking the work overseas... great minds think alike, bro!
PS- we're still gonna buy more... isn't that ridiculous!
Dom

alantani

i, for one, was very impressed!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: norcal pescador on December 20, 2011, 06:22:45 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on December 19, 2011, 11:32:49 PM
Correction! The tool is $24.99 not $23.96...don't want Rob to grill me ;D  he likes to keep it smooth.

Everything else is accurate...I think! ;D

??? ???
THE "JOKE"
The whole "joke" thing originated from my razzing Sal on his first conversion on a 114H. His photos showed a red fiber washer instead of an HT100 under the main gear and he said it was "red dust from the project".  It took me a while to remember the jab and it was all in good-natured fun. I respect Sal, consider him a friend and it won't be the last time we poke fun at each other. 8)
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Marlinmate

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 20, 2011, 02:21:26 AM
Dom, I'm just putting things out there. I'm sure someone can improve on it. The first plate that I'm showing with the double dogs is the best setup. this last one is also working great, but I would still like to find a spring a little smaller in diameter than this one...it isn't binding anywhere though. Sal

Look at Penn Part #32-2000CQ.  It is the bail spring from a Penn Conquer 2000/4000 Spinning Reel.  Not sure of the overall diameter you are looking for, but they are pretty small.
FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

Alto Mare

Thanks for the info Jess. I just received an order from Scott's and had some coiled springs with the order, part # 14-109. I didn't get to try them yet, but it looks like that they might work, in case they don't i will give the #32-2000CQ a shot. I still want to mention that there are a lot of plates floating around  the internet, like the one that I'm showing in the first picture.  personally, I would just stick with those. Sal

redsetta

G'day Sal,
Just wanted to pass on my gratitude for the double-dog inspiration.
I'd considered it for a wee while, but hadn't taken the time to work through the project till you laid it all out for us.
Here's my effort today:

Very happy with the outcome (aside from stripping one of those short reel-foot screws in my Tib frame during reassembly - D'oh!  :-\).
Will shim with a copper insert tomorrow.
Thanks again mate - your tutorial was invaluable.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Taily

Looks like a factory job mate, well done! ;D
Nunc est bibendum....

Alto Mare

Very nice job Justin, I'm glad it worked out for you. Sal
Come on guys, we need to see more.

redsetta

By the way, here's the finished product.
(Not quite Sal's tank but, with the eventual addition of S/S dogs and upgraded gears, it'd be getting close...  ;) )

I also found that I'd somehow ended up with six short frame screws around the (former) reel seat, which is why one stripped - it only had about a turn's purchase in the frame.
I've replaced these with regular 39A screws as per the other 10 and all's well again.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Marlinmate

Well....I too took it upon myself to make one of these.    Here is where I got....

What I found was that my stock 113h spring, did not have enough "return" to push the dog 100% back each time it was supposed too...leaving only the original dog doing the work.

ANyone else run into this or know what the problem could be?

FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS