Penn 113h Reel/Tank

Started by Alto Mare, December 02, 2011, 02:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

Help!

I can't locate the thread,  Tank Travels the World.
And now I lost track of where the tank is and what it's doing!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

David Hall

Thanks Keta!  I marked it for notify so I won't lose it again!

anglingarchitect

what page is the 7 stack all laid out with washers in order?

Shark Hunter

Bryan Makes the 7 stack. I don't know if he has them in stock or not.
I don't recall Sal or Me putting one of those in a 113H.
I might have. ::)
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9195.0
Life is Good!

Gfish

Bit late in the game, but lookin' for an opinion, or some straight-up knowledge, after readin' a-lota this thread: which is the strongest anchoring shaft for a penn reel dog; the JM style - post pounded into the bridge plate, or senator type with "side plate/bridge plate" screws used?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

sdlehr

Quote from: Gfish on July 13, 2016, 05:43:25 PM
Bit late in the game, but lookin' for an opinion, or some straight-up knowledge, after readin' a-lota this thread: which is the strongest anchoring shaft for a penn reel dog; the JM style - post pounded into the bridge plate, or senator type with "side plate/bridge plate" screws used?
Gfish
this thread ought to answer your question. Pictures at about post #200 are where I found an answer to your question http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=14.195

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Bryan Young

Quote from: anglingarchitect on May 26, 2016, 02:35:00 AM
what page is the 7 stack all laid out with washers in order?
Sorry, I'm late to the party.  Here you go.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9195.0
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Gfish

Thanks Sid. Lots of interesting info on that thread. I'll have to watch the double dogged s.s. bridge I put in my jigmaster. Perhaps there's too much movement(lateral & horizontal) with that design, for such small parts, relative to the larger parts(dogs, springs & ratchets) in say a 6/0, or bigger. Mabey tighter tolerances and an "E" type clip on top a the dog would help...? Again thank you for the reference.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Jakejames

Hello I didn't know until recently that this topic of a "hot rod" senator was anyone else's interest. Pay my respects for sal for doing it him self and long before I came along and clicked and swiped for my kits. I have a 113h on a tiburion "hawaiin wide" frame with a SS main gear(1:4) and a custom versa drag style kit from motive fab. All stainless internals with the pro gear double stainless dog & bridge. My question is I have yet to catch a fish on it as of yet but just recently had a dog get sheered off while I was spooling up new line. I have taken it out a few times and do a hawaiin style slide fishing so the most stress it could have had would be pulling up an 8.oz spider weight off the bottom. Now is my drag over powering my dogs and or has anyone else had these problems. On further investigation it seems that the rivets or pins that the dogs pivot on are made of brass. My thoughts is maybe the force found the weakest link in the chain the brass Rivet and that's where the break happend? Any thoughts.

Black Pearl

It is hard to pinpoint how that dog post broke. This bridge was tested and fished for a long time. I will have to go back and put some more stress test on it. In the meanwhile, if there are other members have the same problem, please report on this thread.

Thanks,
Alan

Quote from: Jakejames on February 17, 2017, 05:48:34 PM
Hello I didn't know until recently that this topic of a "hot rod" senator was anyone else's interest. Pay my respects for sal for doing it him self and long before I came along and clicked and swiped for my kits. I have a 113h on a tiburion "hawaiin wide" frame with a SS main gear(1:4) and a custom versa drag style kit from motive fab. All stainless internals with the pro gear double stainless dog & bridge. My question is I have yet to catch a fish on it as of yet but just recently had a dog get sheered off while I was spooling up new line. I have taken it out a few times and do a hawaiin style slide fishing so the most stress it could have had would be pulling up an 8.oz spider weight off the bottom. Now is my drag over powering my dogs and or has anyone else had these problems. On further investigation it seems that the rivets or pins that the dogs pivot on are made of brass. My thoughts is maybe the force found the weakest link in the chain the brass Rivet and that's where the break happend? Any thoughts.

Jakejames

Thanks I think I might just buy another assembly and see how it works. Always the off chance the rivet was a bad one. I have one dog so the reel is still fishable but I'd like to correct it.

Black Pearl

Quote from: Jakejames on February 17, 2017, 06:31:43 PM
Thanks I think I might just buy another assembly and see how it works. Always the off chance the rivet was a bad one. I have one dog so the reel is still fishable but I'd like to correct it.

By the way, are you using 8 or 10 teeth sleeve?

I will recommend 10 teeth if you are using a lot of drag, so both dogs can be engaged at the same time to take on much heavy drag.

Maxed Out

I found the tips of the sprocket were somehow sticking on the middle dogs. A lot of head scratching and finally took a zoomed up picture of the dog shows an abrupt ridge midstream on that edge of each dog. The sprocket tips would load up on that ridge, then suddenly fall into the sprocket while under load. I removed both dogs and filed the ridge flat and now it's all smooth as silk. Hope this helps. -Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Alto Mare

I'm not really sure what happened there, many things could have contribute to it's failure, the one thing that makes the most sense to me would be that the pin wasn't set in properly. :-\

Ted also has a good point, I remember him mentioning the ridge to me and Alan was aware, I believe he did get those cleaned though.

That ridge was making the dog engage prematurely and then set into place when lots of force was applied. Yes, I do believe that could cause the post to snap at the right moment.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.