Penn 113h Reel/Tank

Started by Alto Mare, December 02, 2011, 02:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Hey guys, I thought that I would show you some previews of my next project...
I'm converting a PENN 113H into a Yellow Tail Special.
Here are some of the parts that I will be using:
The reel will have stainless steel gears 4:1; two stainless steel dogs; a stainless steel sleeve from our teacher ;D a stainless steel yoke; a Newell narrow spool and all of the other good stuff.
The reel will be built like a tank, I'm going to challenge anyone to come up with a better reel for the money.
Dom, I know you love your 113H's as I do ;), as you can see it can be done.
Rob, please note the washer under the gear ;D.
Unfortunatley, I don't remember where I got the stainless steel dogs from, I purchased them a while back and I just can't recall. I don't know when I'm going to complete this prooject, when I do I will show some pics. Enjoy. Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Norcal Pescador

QuoteRob, please note the washer under the gear ;D.

Sal, I see you blew the red dust off the washer this time. ::)  The washer looks brand new since you cleaned it. ;)   You could call the conversion the M1A1 or a 113S (S for Sal). ;D   All joking aside, that is some fine looking work and I'm sure it will be a killer reel. I have your address, so I'll put my two 113H's and my 114H in tomorrow's mail to you for conversion. :D :D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

seaeagle2

Nice, so if I don't have stainless dogs, could I just use 2 regular dogs to get the double dog.
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

wallacewt

good 1 sal
i have a ? about the double dogs in a lot of reels not just this one.why do double dogs work independately of each other and not together.wouldnt they be twice as strong if they locked in together at the same time.it wouldnt seem a problem for the blokes on this site.cheers

Bryan Young

Sal, I'm with Rob.  I've got 4 6/0 that could use your loving touches.  Now, now can I modify my progears?  That would be awesome.  Alternating dogs are just fine.  Not as much handle play.  Very cool stuff you've done there Sal.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bryan Young on December 02, 2011, 06:27:46 AM
Sal, I'm with Rob.  I've got 4 6/0 that could use your loving touches.  Now, now can I modify my progears?  That would be awesome.  Alternating dogs are just fine.  Not as much handle play.  Very cool stuff you've done there Sal.

Bryan, the progears are similar to Penn. I don't see why couldn't, but I don't have a plate to look at :-\. Your right about very little handle play, on the 113H there isn't any ;). I like what I see in that reel, but, didn't assemble one yet.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Quote from: wallacewt on December 02, 2011, 05:23:47 AM
good 1 sal
i have a ? about the double dogs in a lot of reels not just this one.why do double dogs work independately of each other and not together.wouldnt they be twice as strong if they locked in together at the same time.it wouldnt seem a problem for the blokes on this site.cheers

Wallace, you always come up with good ones, sometimes I wonder if you already know the answer or just testing us :-\. This all thing is new to me, this is what I came up with. On the 114H the double dogs work indipendently, with every click of the gear sleeve the right side dog locks in, on the next click the left locks in. On the 113H, both dogs lock in at the same time, giving the handle no play...I relly like it ;). I think that the difference has to do with size :-\. Your next question about about the dogs locking in together, it's obvious that it would be stronger, but don't think that a double dog that works indipendently is a bad ting  ;).

Alto Mare

Quote from: seaeagle2 on December 02, 2011, 04:16:36 AM
Nice, so if I don't have stainless dogs, could I just use 2 regular dogs to get the double dog.

Yes, go for it!

Alto Mare

Guys, please note that the dog springs are different, I just picked some from my parts and didn't bother matching. When I'm going to assemble the reel, they will be the same. I just wanted to mention it....Rob really likes to take a closer look and I don't want to be scolded ;D.

Here is another shot that I couldn't get to post last night.

Irish Jigger

Quote from: seaeagle2 on December 02, 2011, 04:16:36 AM

Are stainless steel dogs available for these reels?

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 02, 2011, 11:11:34 AM
....Rob really likes to take a closer look and I don't want to be scolded ;D.

:D :D :D  All in good fun, my friend.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

not that i've ever seen.......
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

seaeagle2

I just realized, you had to "mill" out the area for the 2nd dog and spring to set in.  Is it a "trade secret", or can you shed some light on how you did it. 
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

john2244

Hello Sal,

I completed the double dog work on a Penn 113H and it does work well.  One thing I noticed is the bridge does not cover the second spring very well.  I put some Cal's grease over the spring in hopes the grease will help keep the spring in place.  Let us know what you think about this when you get your reel together.

Thanks for sharing this reel upgrade with all of us.

John

Dominick

Hey Sal:  Since winter is fast approaching, I thought I might do this to my 113H, just for the heck of it.  Would you list all the parts I will need to do one and and where you bought them.  Also put on your thinking cap to try to remember where you got the SS dogs?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.