Penn 113h Reel/Tank

Started by Alto Mare, December 02, 2011, 02:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: john2244 on December 02, 2011, 08:03:32 PM
Hello Sal,

I completed the double dog work on a Penn 113H and it does work well.  One thing I noticed is the bridge does not cover the second spring very well.  I put some Cal's grease over the spring in hopes the grease will help keep the spring in place.  Let us know what you think about this when you get your reel together.

Thanks for sharing this reel upgrade with all of us.

John

Hey john, sorry that it isn't working out for you. What type of problem are you having? You will not be able to cover the second spring completely, but if you did as I 'm showing, you would be ok.
This would be good enough, the spring is covered half way and can't pop out, tell me some more. If your problem is related mechanically, it could be the shaving. If you didn't go deep enough the dog would have friction with the plate,  going too deep  will also work againt you.
I just assembled a reel to test it, I wasn't ready to do it, but I wanted to make sure that there wasn't any problem. The reel is working flawlessly. Take another look at what I did and take your time, the 113H is harder than the 114H. I did the 113H in about 30 minutes, but I've been using power tools for over 35 years. Good luck and take care. Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Irish Jigger

Hi Sal,great job you have done there. Got me thinking if it would be possible to modify the bridge to retain double dogs and springs as an integral unit similar to the Jigmaster bridge assembly.  It would be  easy to assemble without having to fiddle with the loose dog spring/s.

Alto Mare

Very good idea Jigger, especially for the smaller reels...well maybe up to the jigmaster, it would be an overkill on anything less. We are at the biginning with this, I'm sure there is room for improvements. Glad you like it.
By the way, it's not that bad to assemble, I came home a little while ago and assembled one in 5 minutes. Like everything else, it gets easy with practice.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

john2244

Sal,

I think you misread my message, my reel is working fine !!!   I was just concerned about the dog spring not being covered by the bridge.  I used a stock spring and I think it is has a little smaller diameter that the spring you used.  I may add a different spring at a later time.

John

Alto Mare

Yes John, I did misred your message, that's what happens when you're too lazy to put on reading glasses ;D. Not a problem though, I had to try it for myself. If you're concerned about the spring, go ahead and get a wider one, this is actually a good idea for anybody that goes alittle wider at that area. Take care. Sal

Alto Mare

Quote from: Pescachaser on December 02, 2011, 10:35:00 PM
Hey Sal:  Since winter is fast approaching, I thought I might do this to my 113H, just for the heck of it.  Would you list all the parts I will need to do one and and where you bought them.  Also put on your thinking cap to try to remember where you got the SS dogs?  Dominick

Dominick, there is no need to list any parts.  All you need is a 113H and one extra dog with spring, oh yes, and a dremel. The only thing you need to do is to take you time and absolutely NO ZIN! ;D. Keep testing the shaved area with the dog, try to leave enough material on the side of the new dog spring and you should be ok ;).

redsetta

Love it. Great work Sal - will be following your lead on my 113H shortly.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Great, Justin. Let us know on how you make out.

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 03, 2011, 01:16:59 AM
Hey Sal:  Since winter is fast approaching, I thought I might do this to my 113H, just for the heck of it.  Would you list all the parts I will need to do one and and where you bought them.  Also put on your thinking cap to try to remember where you got the SS dogs?  Dominick

Dominick, there is no need to list any parts.  All you need is a 113H and one extra dog with spring, oh yes, and a dremel. The only thing you need to do is to take you time and absolutely NO ZIN! ;D. Keep testing the shaved area with the dog, try to leave enough material on the side of the new dog spring and you should be ok ;).
What about the SS parts you used.  I wouldn't go through the trouble of putting an extra dog in the reel unless I beefed up the reel with SS bridge and sleeve.  I guess I'll go back and look at your original post as soon as I sober up ::).  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Taily

Sal, that is a seriously cool mod. I was going to do something else tonight.... but that aint happening now I've seen this!

Top Stuff! Now if I could figure out a way of machining a small captive tapered roller bearing into the base of the sleeve in my 113H's, and/or coming-up with a sideplate design that retains the sleeve with a tapered roller bearing rather than relying on the driven-in pin just to get rid of some more friction.... and to ramp-up that drag pressure another 10 or so lbs....  :o ;D

I'll keep dreaming and drawing.... :) 

Dave
Nunc est bibendum....

Alto Mare

I wouldn't go through the trouble of putting an extra dog in the reel unless I beefed up the reel with SS bridge and sleeve. Dominick
[/quote]

Why not? ::)

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 03, 2011, 01:10:04 PM

Why not? ::)

Because we can  ;D  

Just got finished putting in a SS sleeve I bought for my project 113HN and one I "found" (in a pile of HT-100 washers someone left in my truck last year) on one of my 500s.  I can't convince most of the people I do repair work for that a SS gear sleve is a good upgrade and is it needed for a 9 or 109 reel ( ??? the most comon "big" reel where I live ???) used for the large redband trout that live in Klamath Lake.  Oh well, I make a bit of $ when I replace their brass ones.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

broadway

Sal,
    You answered my question, if it can be done to the 113H, and you did an awesome job!  I like how the spring sits on the new dog... it's straighter than the old one.  I have got some serious work to do this winter!  I would say you're a true pioneer with this "reel thing."  Keep the inventions coming!  I'm with Dominick, where did you find those dogs?!  Is there a machinist on here that wants to make a batch?  I'll take 2 dozen, easy!
I don't own any progears, but aren't the side plates made if metal?  that wouldn't shave down to well without a CNC would it?

Thanks for the pointers,
Dom

Alto Mare

I'm glad you like it Dom. If you have the red plates instead of the older maroon ones go for it, hold up on the maroon ones, I'm trying to figure something out to make it work. On the 114H it's not a problem. As for the progears, I'm sure that shaving the aluminum won't be a problem,  you need the right bits.

Alto Mare

Guys, in case you have a plate similar to the one that I'm showing, Hold up!

The maroon plate is natched at both sides, this will make installing the dog spring a little challenging. The red plate is solid and it's not a problem.
I'm trying to figure out a way to make it work, Just in case you already attempted to install a double dog on a plate similar to this one, don't sweat it, I'm sure we'll find a way. You shouldn't have any problems with the 114H.