Mitchell Reel Musuem down?

Started by Balvar24, April 07, 2020, 03:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balvar24

Hope it's not gone forever.  Some good guys over there.

mo65

That site has been down many times. It always comes back...sure hope it does this time too...there is so much valuable info there. :-\
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Quite frankly --

This is an example of what could happen to any site.

We are so fortunate to have the caliber of person we have as a boss -- with Alan.

Most other sites are clique-ish, become too personal as it relates to a very few people, unfair, and not balanced.

Alan has spread out the responsibility and decision making process (he still has ultimate say, though) with a group of Administrators and Moderators throughout the world.

Plus, there are as many interesting facets and sections to our site -- as there are different people.

No advertising, no personal agendas, fairness, and unselfish sharing of ideas, techniques, reels, parts, and welcoming of family and new family members.

No matter how good our information and research is -- if it is not shared, it is nearly worthless.

Plus, remember, there are many reasons why the Alan Tani site is the most looked at reel repair site in the world.  It starts with each of you participating and helping others freely, as you can.

The amount of participation on a monthly basis is unheard of in the internet world -- for a site with no advertising.

We get more clicks in 20 minutes -- than the majority of similar sites get in (6) months.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

Yeah. Kinda like Parliamentary system with a Prime Minister, here. Unlike Great Britain though, we don't "really" have a House of Lords and House of Commons.   
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Fullbail

Jeesh Fred,

You sure ripped the MRM a new one.
Get up on the wrong side of the bed or what?  ???

Chill out dude
Bill

xjchad

Quote from: Fullbail on April 09, 2020, 05:48:21 PM
Jeesh Fred,

Get up on the wrong side of the bed or what?  ???

Chill out dude
Bill

I don't see one negative thing that Fred said about the MRM in his post???
All he did was point out what an amazing place AT.com is (which is very true) and encourage us to keep it going that way.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Midway Tommy

Quote from: xjchad on April 09, 2020, 05:58:43 PM
Quote from: Fullbail on April 09, 2020, 05:48:21 PM
Jeesh Fred,

Get up on the wrong side of the bed or what?  ???

Chill out dude
Bill

I don't see one negative thing that Fred said about the MRM in his post???
All he did was point out what an amazing place AT.com is (which is very true) and encourage us to keep it going that way.

I agree. There wasn't one derogatory comment about the MRM site in Fred's post.

Anyone that knows any backside info on the MRM site knows exactly why it goes down frequently.

Someone needs to take a chill pill and it sure isn't Fred.  ::)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Sorry if I offended you, Bill --

Just pointing out what could and does happen to ANY specialized interest website that is (not) operated in a manner that encourages growth as well as a separation of responsibilities.  Could be Yo-Yos, fishing, ponies, or pumpkins -- doesn't make any difference.

Do you know of a reason why the Mitchell Site is down for the 6th time (that I know of) in 18 months?  If there is an illness or other issues involved -- then someone (a group of someones) should step up and volunteer to take it over.

The information on the Mitchell site is well done -- well laid out -- and a tremendous asset to the angling world.  It deserves more.

Plus, just so everyone knows that I am not a Mitchell newbie or Pilgrim -- I have a tremendous amount of respect for the Mitchell line of reels up until around 1989.  I have possibly worked on multiple thousands over the last 40 years.  Always, and currently have an average of 400+ complete Mitchells in stock, 700+ spools, and around 50,000 NOS parts.

After having worked on nearly every type of reel over that last 40 years -- now I just specialize in 4 or 5 brands -- can't be all things to all people.  DAM Quick, Penn, ABU, and Mitchell.

And, by the way -- it is still down as of a few minutes ago.

Just my opinions.

Best,

Fred (The Dude) 😄😄😄

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

If you look in the schematic section here, you'll find where I've posted a bunch of the Mitchell schematics and parts lists. That was specifically for times like this. Kinda wish I had copied some of the advertisements too...those are very helpful when researching a Mitchell reel. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Mike has a good point --

I may have 15 or 20 shop manuals with schematics, interchangeability manuals, parts lists, and more.

So if anyone needs anything specific -- just let me know.  I will scan and post it.

Plus dozens of ads and plenty of owners manuals.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Midway Tommy

If you really get down & out and desperate you can always find a little dated material right here. Most of it is still on Wallace's site, just a little older and limited.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Balvar24