Just ckg the temp

Started by Neilman, April 08, 2020, 04:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neilman

I hope this msg finds everyone safe & sound.  I thought I'd reach out & say 'hello' to my fishing family.  It seems like ages since I've been out on the water.

With two lil ones, we haven't taken any chances and stayed home for the past four weeks.  Time to make a foraging run since we're just about out on dairy products & perishables.  I hear the lines are long at Costco, Sams, Walmart, so I'll take my folding chair in addition to my lead-making safety gear:  mask, goggles & maybe face shield.  The case numbers have been relatively low, here in Solano County, CA, but can't take any chances with this bug.  I need to setup a disinfecting station in the back before I enter the house.  Hopefully, we get the 'coast is clear' sign soon, but sounds like it's gonna be a long one.

Stay safe,

Neil

David Hall

let us know what you come up with for your disinfecting station.  I just got word that my work has been considered essential and in two weeks I will be back at it.  not really looking forward to this as the last time I visited a site there were groups of workers in too close proximity to each other and some of them had questions for me and kept trying to walk right up to my face before speaking.  I had to threaten a few of them with violence to stop them from approaching me.  I was thinking about what if any precautionary steps I could implement before coming back in the house?  Im going to have to research this further.

alantani

my wife and i are actually getting along great.  we had a talk at the beginning of this and it really helped.  trying to avoid grocery stores right now.  we should be ok with provisions for quite a while.  stay safe!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Neilman

It's hard for me to resist not ckg for good news daily.  This CNN article has some good advice, which confirmed what I had already planned:

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2020/03/health/coronavirus-tipsheets/coronavirus-proof-your-home/index.html?fbclid=IwAR26bTvmqYbLwiHvc1-yUK7AJXWI1PwWkl5kRwDWvqP-d9LkZFa_sGWZaxo

I recalled watching in a video that BART & other metro transit utilities were using some kind of light in addition to chemical sterilization(?)  I found a couple articles on uv-light, particularly, one called 'far-uvc' light that shows promise against the virus -- but, as the BBC article states, any direct exposure to these rays can cause skin cancer or other genetic damage.  More studies need to be done, although you will find sellers hocking products on Amazon & eBay claiming uv-c abilities.  I have also seen YouTube diy videos of folks using uv devices to disinfect rooms while they are out.  I had an idea to setup a sort of decontamination station in the garage with these uv devices, but right now, I don't trust them & after checking with my doc at Kaiser, will stick to the known recommended chemicals & soap for disinfection.  FWIW, here are the UV-related articles I've found so far:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200327-can-you-kill-coronavirus-with-uv-light

https://www.digitaltrends.com/news/can-uv-light-kill-coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR3hJQ-SWI4g-KP_5FYT0tdC-2e38FrTOYHW9TmuPJdAltv2MY2CugXsRew

This video posted by the NYT helped me to understand how the virus invades the body: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuzP-uLctYE&fbclid=IwAR1FYnvMnm8XIa36XlT74LR92LQNS-9TGjobKG3zga4zxNB2OC2UPaWWgbU

Bottom line, as we've heard time & again:  wash your hands with lots of soap frequently.  The soap properties helps to breakdown the virus' fatty cell walls.  Until the doctors, not the politicians, declare it relatively safe for people to come out, we'll home-school the kids if we have to.  Fortunately, we have a backyard where I can cart the groceries to the patio & breakdown or wipe-down the groceries before bringing them inside.  The virus can supposedly survive for days, depending on the type of surface, so unless I undress & carefully load my clothes into the washer at the hottest setting, I may just hang those clothes outside for a week, away from family & the dog.  Hope this helps!  I picked up a fishing shirt from the last fishing show at Cal Expo.  Kinda modified the print to help me with Self-Distancing.  If worse comes to worst, I'll put my full hazmat gear on, which I use when melting lead for my sinkers & jigs.  I would think it's pretty alarming to wear out in public, but if this crisis intensifies, people need to understand that this bug is no joke. 

- Neil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjDuwc9KBps&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR3DhhBui8wTh56YtOaBzScDDKUc4k94fWn9dUBPZ9FwL8OhrhdX-OwEHJE

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10157188835596569&set=a.10150099128076569&type=3&theater

Neilman

My hazmat gear...

Midway Tommy

:o I'm glad I live where I do & not in one of the so called "HOT SPOTS". Here we can still go fishing anytime we want, depending, that is, on the weather.  8)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Neilman

Tommy, the way these expert doctors are projecting, this bug will be pervasive sooner or later.  It's a race against time to find an effective vaccine.  The earliest projections are for the beginning of next yr, because the drugs need to go through various stages of testing through clinical trials, or else the drugs will be as dangerous as the bug itself.  A month or so earlier, doctors were saying "oh, you don't need a mask".  I wasn't buying it, and chose to stay home & use up our food till we absolutely needed to go out, probably tomorrow.  Now docs are saying it's in the air far beyond the 6' distance they've been preaching. 

Maybe I've been watching too many apocalypse-type movies, but the very minimum I wouldn't leave the house without a decent mask & something to cover my eyes (if the bug gets in your eyes, it get to through to the rest of your body faster).  We'll get through this, but we're gonna need to work together.  The fish can wait, I think.  Man, I wanna get out there so bad, too!  Anyway, here's one of more links out there that show how to make your own mask, if you can't buy one.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/04/health/how-to-make-your-own-mask-wellness-trnd/index.html

- Neil

Midway Tommy

Don't get me wrong, we're taking it seriously. I'm concerned and don't want to get it because I'm in the high risk category but I'm sure not worrying about it. I just take appropriate precautions. I guess it's all relative to where you are at. Here in my county the population is about 200,000. So far we've had 35 cases with 7 fully recovered and no deaths. Not too bad considering we're in the midst of a million people between Omaha & Lincoln. We didn't have people bringing it in from overseas, just the ones brought here from one early cruise ship, & some from China, for quarantine, and they all left in fine condition. Most of the cases in the surrounding areas came from out of state travel, quite a few from CO. The Docs, that will still be getting paid and have a steady job no matter what happens to the economy, are advising mask wear, not for your own safety but for others' safety. I'm not saying I won't ever wear a mask but it's going to have to get a lot worse here before I do. I've asked more than one person if they knew how far six feet is and told them to back off. I'm not timid at all about confronting stupid people. It's not Rocket Science, they've been telling us to social distance, wash your hands and don't touch your face since the end of January. Those that don't need to have their head examined. We're lucky here in NE, we don't have that stupid mass transit so it's pretty easy to stay apart, even in grocery stores. 

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Neilman

Hey Tommy, sorry I just woke up.  This damn lockdown has me lost in time.  I'm not too far behind you, and with allergies, I gotta wear this damn mask just so people don't trip if I have to cough.  In late February, Gilead Sciences started clinical trials of their antiviral remdesivir at the University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC) in Omaha.  It supposedly was used in clinical trials to treat the Ebola virus.  I'll put a link, below.  So if things get bad for you, maybe they can hook you up in Omaha.  

I met a kid from Nebraska & his dad last Nov during a crab combo to the Farallones Islands.  Good peoples.  He was a collegiate wrestler, and his dad was sort of a legendary rodeo cowboy, cattle rancher, and skyscraper steelman.  You never know who or what you're gonna run into on a party boat.  Says he helped build many of the high rises in SF.  Says the only way that he overcame his fear of heights was to convince himself that he "was the biggest badass in the world".  Other than that, he was a humble dude.  lol. 

It's gonna feel strange being out & about tomorrow.  I'm gonna need to get some work done on my vehicles too.  We can literally breathe a whole lot better once we have a safe vaccine ready to go.  Just gotta stay away from stupid people till that happens.  I just read there were 450 (mostly young adult males) people at one of these 'sideshows' in Oakland.  Kids just being stupid & showing off their cars & driving skills, or lack of brains.  Take care!

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/nih-clinical-trial-remdesivir-treat-covid-19-begins

CapeFish

Quote from: Neilman on April 08, 2020, 08:11:38 PM
It's hard for me to resist not ckg for good news daily.  This CNN article has some good advice, which confirmed what I had already planned:

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2020/03/health/coronavirus-tipsheets/coronavirus-proof-your-home/index.html?fbclid=IwAR26bTvmqYbLwiHvc1-yUK7AJXWI1PwWkl5kRwDWvqP-d9LkZFa_sGWZaxo

I recalled watching in a video that BART & other metro transit utilities were using some kind of light in addition to chemical sterilization(?)  I found a couple articles on uv-light, particularly, one called 'far-uvc' light that shows promise against the virus -- but, as the BBC article states, any direct exposure to these rays can cause skin cancer or other genetic damage.  More studies need to be done, although you will find sellers hocking products on Amazon & eBay claiming uv-c abilities.  I have also seen YouTube diy videos of folks using uv devices to disinfect rooms while they are out.  I had an idea to setup a sort of decontamination station in the garage with these uv devices, but right now, I don't trust them & after checking with my doc at Kaiser, will stick to the known recommended chemicals & soap for disinfection.  FWIW, here are the UV-related articles I've found so far:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200327-can-you-kill-coronavirus-with-uv-light

https://www.digitaltrends.com/news/can-uv-light-kill-coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR3hJQ-SWI4g-KP_5FYT0tdC-2e38FrTOYHW9TmuPJdAltv2MY2CugXsRew

This video posted by the NYT helped me to understand how the virus invades the body: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuzP-uLctYE&fbclid=IwAR1FYnvMnm8XIa36XlT74LR92LQNS-9TGjobKG3zga4zxNB2OC2UPaWWgbU

Bottom line, as we've heard time & again:  wash your hands with lots of soap frequently.  The soap properties helps to breakdown the virus' fatty cell walls.  Until the doctors, not the politicians, declare it relatively safe for people to come out, we'll home-school the kids if we have to.  Fortunately, we have a backyard where I can cart the groceries to the patio & breakdown or wipe-down the groceries before bringing them inside.  The virus can supposedly survive for days, depending on the type of surface, so unless I undress & carefully load my clothes into the washer at the hottest setting, I may just hang those clothes outside for a week, away from family & the dog.  Hope this helps!  I picked up a fishing shirt from the last fishing show at Cal Expo.  Kinda modified the print to help me with Self-Distancing.  If worse comes to worst, I'll put my full hazmat gear on, which I use when melting lead for my sinkers & jigs.  I would think it's pretty alarming to wear out in public, but if this crisis intensifies, people need to understand that this bug is no joke. 

- Neil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjDuwc9KBps&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR3DhhBui8wTh56YtOaBzScDDKUc4k94fWn9dUBPZ9FwL8OhrhdX-OwEHJE

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10157188835596569&set=a.10150099128076569&type=3&theater

These are great safety tips thanks, the reality is that in most poor countries they simply can't be implimented

Neilman

Capefish,  no doubt.  Even here in N. Calif, the radioheads are saying people are getting chippy at the supermarkets.  So those guidelines would be in the most ideal situations?  Anyway, I figure I'd go out this morning with my camo fishing faceshield over the mask, and throw on some clear safety glasses.  One would hope that in another month folks would mellow out & realize it's gonna be okay if we just keep our heads & follow the best advice from the docs & scientists.  The new norm?  If I find lines, I'll see if I can't get folks to take a pic for the camera!

CapeFish

You can only do what you can do. If you are poor and living in a hut without running water you can only try do your best. This wont be the new norm walking around with masks it is a pandemic and will go away in due course. Lots of future planners are going crazy with their predictions.

swill88

The trouble with those silicone masks is although it protects the wearer it doesn't protect those nearby.  No exhaust filter. At least mine doesn't filter exhaust.
A cloth mask is recommended.
Steve

oc1

A lot of Asians have been wearing masks when in public ever since the SARS outbreak.  That was eighteen years ago.  Before SARS, you would have run if you saw someone wearing a mask in public.  The new norm??
-steve

Midway Tommy

Quote from: oc1 on April 09, 2020, 09:12:14 PM
A lot of Asians have been wearing masks when in public ever since the SARS outbreak.  That was eighteen years ago.  Before SARS, you would have run if you saw someone wearing a mask in public.  The new norm??
-steve

I still do!!!!  :D

Tommy D (ORCA), NE