whats to become of our Ca. Salmon Season

Started by David Hall, April 08, 2020, 06:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

I apologize for not being able to figure out how to post the link, but the CDFW has scheduled a meeting tomorrow April 9th to discuss vesting temporary powers upon the CDFW to allow them to make the decision on the fate of our 2020 fishing season.  options include complete closure, deferred opening, other restrictions.
its a waiting game again but I am not holding my breath.

foakes

(3) guesses, David --

And none of them are going to get us out on the water in the next 30 days -- is my guess.

The CDFW is also going to discuss postponing the opening of Trout Season in California -- always the last Saturday in April -- tomorrow, also.  In particular -- the Eastern Sierra.

Many, if not all of the public ramps are, or will be closed soon.

It is what it is -- and these are new times for our generation -- however, the employees, game wardens, small towns impacted by hordes of tourists from other areas descending on them -- all point to at least a postponement of angling schedules -- in many areas -- if not all.  At least for another month or two.

Just my guess.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

David Hall

Agreed this is the sensible and prudent course for everyone right now.
we may be able to begin moving back to some semblance of normal life mid to late May.  Some of us sooner than other.  I am a Schoolhouse Inspector, I will be back to work with a new approach to include an approved and monitored CVD19 protocol.  Fortunately for me I had no part in creating this, it's between the contractor and the state of California but it's a good thing.  So now I have a need to create a home decontamination space for me to change clothes and safely re enter my home, there's a wonderful lady there that has underlying health condition and has tolerated me for 47 years, I love her dearly.
There's a great deal of information from doctors and nurses posting there experience with the same thing and it's not excessive or difficult and I can easily comply. 
  If Wuhan can be seen as an example of how long the orders will remain in effect were looking at 75 days beginning to end.  Day 1 was on March 16 it is now day 24, that gives a SWAG estimate of 51 days to go puts us at May 29th, might as well say June 1.  I think anything we get before that date we should consider as a big bonus for our diligent community isolation. 
  The season could be scheduled to open the first Saturday in June the 6th.  If nothing else it is something to look forward to.

Dominick

I usually have an optimistic outlook on stuff.  However, given as how the information we are receiving is conflicting I am looking at the end of June as when we can be comfortable enough to lighten up on isolation.  I expect that the mitigation and warm weather will turn this disease down, but it won't be gone until the right drugs and/or vaccines are made available.  My opinion only.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Ron Jones

All I can say is you all aren't as pessimistic as I am. I hope the Southern J pod eats a lot of salmon this year; of wait, there horrible huters.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

David Hall

Quote from: Ron Jones on April 09, 2020, 09:52:06 PM
All I can say is you all aren't as pessimistic as I am. I hope the Southern J pod eats a lot of salmon this year; of wait, there horrible huters.
The Man

we get them right in Monterey Bay, they enjoy eating baby whale lips and tongues and sea Lions, we have had a big male that snatches up fully grown sea lions and parades outside the harbor mouth showing them off.  If theyre also eating Salmon, well as far as I am concerned they are welcome to them, for every sea lion they kill.
I have enjoyed may hours on the bay watching the Orca do their thing.  incredible creatures.

Maxed Out

Has anyone heard of if or when salmon season is in California ??

Our DFW has stayed silent about all our fishing. Ocean halibut was supposed to open April 30, but that ain't happening and not a whisper from DFW about possible opening dates. By now we usually know our summer salmon season, but once again, not a whisper of a hint about those dates. Just south of us in Oregon they have announced salmon quotas and seasons. Might be a good time to move to Oregon where I can actually use my boat
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

David Hall

Season is in full swing as of this Past Monday morning. ramps open and boats launching, with covid 19 retrictions, masks at all times when on District property, safe distancing etcetera, so far so good.  excellent grade of fish, buddy landed a 30+ pounder yesterday.
Me?
Im replacing a blown turbo, fractured mixing elbow and adding some alarm systems Im 14 days away from launch ready.

Rancanfish

Good luck David.  If I get a few stars to align, I'll be fishing in about three weeks.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.