Bretton 400 Schematic ..

Started by basenjib123, April 09, 2020, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basenjib123

Does anyone happen to have a schematic for a Bretton 400?  Thanks, Joe.

Midway Tommy

They're tough to find unless you have a boxed reel &/or a manual.

They're really not that complicated, pretty much standard worm gear driven. The anti-reverse is pretty cheaply made, though, with the plastic dog and nylon ratchet gear. Be careful when remove the pinion worm gear, the bearing is 34 loose balls sandwiched between two races. Do it in a container or you may be chasing balls around the room.  ::)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Here is one --

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

basenjib123

Thanks Fred much appreciated... too late on the ball bearings  ;D ... amazing I was able to recover all 34 BB!!  Well built reel but what a stupid design for the bearings.

basenjib123

Got it all back together.  They seem like decent reels although this one seems to have a hint of "grittiness" on the retrieve,  is that is that nature of these things?  Thanks.

Midway Tommy

That type of bearing has a very temperamental adjustment. The slightest adjustment of the bearing race collar spacing in either direction can make all the difference in the world. A little too tight can get slow binding sounds and a little too loose can get rattling sounds. Make sure the races & balls are nice & clean and if you don't mind a little sluggishness be liberal with grease, but whatever you do make sure you've added some synthetic oil to it to thin the grease a little.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

Quote from: Midway Tommy on April 10, 2020, 05:22:37 AM
That type of bearing has a very temperamental adjustment.   

Yes...optimum adjustment point is like threading a needle!
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

basenjib123

I'll tell you what though... These Bretton Reels were in about the same price range as the Dam Quicks as far as I can see (perhaps a bit cheaper),  but they are not in the same league IMO.  The Bretton's aren't bad reels by any means but the difference in quality to DAM is very obvious to me.