Never Before Seen (Until Now) Penn Prototype!

Started by Spyderman, April 10, 2020, 03:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spyderman

Greetings Ohana,

Well, since most of us are holed up inside our homes waiting out the pandemic, I thought I'd share a little something that should generate some interest and discussion.  Back in 1986 when Geraldo Rivera hosted a TV special on 'The Mystery of Al Capone's Vaults', an item that was found inside that didn't receive the exposure that it should've has now come back to light.  I give you the 50/0 Penn 'Senator' prototype reel!

This reel was conceived as part of a series that Penn was thinking of dubbing the 'Snallygaster Series' of BIG game reels.  For obvious reasons, the objections of the Penn bean-counters aside, this reel series never made it into production.  I can't imagine there would've been a strong retail market for a reel of this magnitude, unless you were hoping to raise a small submarine, or Moby Dick.  I doubt even Arnold Schwarzenegger on his best day would've been able to heft a reel, mounted to a compatible rod, of this size for a very long fight, with whatever was on the other end.

The reel appears to be spooled with a sizeable diameter of some kind of braid, possibly from a mountain climbing supplier.  The spool appears to be made of stainless steel, closely resembling cooking pot lids.  It's surprising that a reel of this caliber was designed with only six spindly posts, in addition to a fairly standard reel foot.  Some of the parts seem to be of varying proportions, which isn't uncommon with prototypes.  The drag assembly is made up of actual drum disc brake shoes from a Model 'T' Ford.  The side plates appear to be made from some exotic wood, perhaps ebony pine.

Footnote: This is what can happen when a person is confined to their garage workshop for days on end with no reels that need rebuilding.  This also underscores the phrase, "A mind is a terrible thing to waste'.

Spyderman

A few more photos.

David Hall

Spyderman

Hey Dave!  I hope my wife doesn't notice the missing pot lids.  ;D

Rivverrat

Do you have any thing that verifies it's a Penn ?   I'm far from an expert but the machining & final shape of parts looks much different to me than an all Penn factory made reel. The reel foot & rivets are one place I noticed.

The spool & cross bars seem different for a Penn reel of this size also.  . Now all of this could still be Penn stuff being a one off it doesn't always fit or follow a companies prior thoughts. I just dont know.    Interesting reel.

Spyderman

The only link to Penn being the manufacturer was a note found with the reel from Al to Ernest Hemingway, thanking Ernest for picking up this reel from the Penn factory before they met up for a fishing trip to Cuba.  Good times!  ;)

nelz

You lie! This is actually a series of prints by Andy Warhol.  ;D

xjchad

Spydie,
That is way cool!
You did a great job on that man!  8) 8)
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Rivverrat

WOW !  Regardless with that note & any other verification if true this is a nice historical piece... Jeff

Spyderman

Quote from: nelz on April 10, 2020, 04:43:42 PM
You lie! This is actually a series of prints by Andy Warhol.  ;D

You got me Nelz! ;)

Spyderman

Quote from: xjchad on April 10, 2020, 04:44:38 PM
Spydie,
That is way cool!
You did a great job on that man!  8) 8)

Thanks Chad!  It's no John Elder masterpiece, but it did help pass some time.  ;)

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Spyderman

Quote from: Rivverrat on April 10, 2020, 04:45:03 PM
WOW !  Regardless with that note & any other verification if true this is a nice historical piece... Jeff

I know, holding it I can almost smell the mojitos they must've tossed down while out fishing.  ;D

Spyderman

Quote from: Crow on April 10, 2020, 04:53:46 PM
Love it !!  How's the free spool ?

Surprisingly good for a non-ball bearing set up.  You have to be patient, and let it run until IT decides to stop.  Any attempt to halt the spool's progress might result in an injury akin to being wrapped around the axle of a chariot (since it is Easter, decided to go with Charleton Heston 'Ben Hur' analogy).  ;D

wfjord

The rings, posts, and stand have a white appearance kinda like brushed aluminum.  Something about the stand looks like it was made from a chunk of aluminum, but maybe just my imagination. Pretty big gap between the spool & rings.  I'll look forward to hearing what the experts here have to say.