Penn 50T Drag Washer

Started by boatboy319, August 22, 2020, 07:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boatboy319

Hi Guys,
I bought a 50T that has been done up by Cal...2 Speed, Sleeve and BPrint for 80/100 in 2002. I was surprised when I took it apart to find an old style hard drag washer (though I've never seen one with slots ini it like this).
Guessing if I want to fish this at 20-25lb drag at strike I'll want to change to a carbon washer. I see the whole drag plate on Mystic parts, but is it possible just to change the friction material out and keep the gold drive plate?
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris

alantani

it is, but it's a fair amount of work.  you'll need a thick carbon fiber sheet, you'll likely have to cut out two and epoxy them together to make a drag washer that is thick enough, then epoxy your drag washer to the pressure plate.  alternatively, you can make a spacer plate out of something and then glue the entire mess together.  it will not be easy. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

boatboy319

Thanks Alan,
I see...did a little more digging - I gather the 6A-50 washer that would replace this isn't available anywhere anymore.

I guess I should just suck it up and buy the whole plate.
The reel will last forever anyway so probably worth it.

For future reference, what year did these reels switch over from asbestos to the HT-100 washers?

alantani

Not sure about the year,  but I'm not sure I would sink any money at all into a single speed reel like this.

boatboy319

It was converted to 2 speed, and looks more or less brand new...that's the only reason I'm thinking it is worth it.

alantani

ok, this one is absolutely worth it!!!!!   ;D

foakes

Not sure if this will help, or not --

But here is a loose NOS Carbon Fiber with the back-up plate.

Recently stopped working on conventionals a couple of months ago, after 40+ years.  Sold all the parts.  These were just loose larger drags in a drawer.

Doing mostly only vintage spinners now.  And busier than ever.  Backlog is approaching 85 units to hit the bench on just spinners.  Am working on them daily -- since there are a lot more on their way.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

boatboy319

Hi Fred, that looks like exactly what I'm looking for.
Sending you a PM if you're interested in selling.

foakes

I have no use for it -- probably had it for 20+ years --  it is yours if you think it will work for you --

List is $66+.

Figure $30 + $5 shipping.

Will need your mailing address and contact info.

Just send me a PM -- and I will send it out Monday.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

boatboy319

Robert Janssen

Yes, Foakes nailed it. You just need to change back to the original drag washer from the aftermarket one you have now. (Which, by the way, looks to be a super deluxe one from Smoooooth Drag back in the day) No big deal.

boatboy319

Hi guys,
Another question - I can't for the life of me get the left side bearing out of the side plate. Ive tried heating the side plate, soaking in WD-40 to try and loosen, all kinds of tools, etc. and can't get the bearing loose. I've ordered a small pilot bearing puller to see if I can maybe get the jaws to grab the inner race, but can't believe I cant work it out any other way.
Any suggestions as to what has worked in the past?
Thanks

foakes

Since you have ordered the bearing puller -- if me, I would just spray the bearing and soak it in Kroil, or another good penetrating oil -- until the puller arrives. 

WD-40 will help a very little -- but not much.  Penetrating oil soak is effective.

Another way, is to freeze the plate in the freezer -- then heat the bearing with a micro butane flame -- or a large wattage soldering gun.  This generally works.  Careful of ruining the sideplate.

When reassembling with the same or a new bearing -- always use a good marine grease on the outside of the bearing -- so it is easier for you -- or the next guy to remove it.

I have also used my ultrasonic cleaner with straight water.  Most chemicals with the US cleaner will blemish the anodized finish on the sideplate.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

handi2

After heating slam it down hard on a wooden table or a thick piece of wood. It works for me every time. The bearing will be left on the table.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

boatboy319

Thanks guys.
So the bearing puller didn't fit (said down to 1/2" ID...knew it was cutting it close). But combination of heating, penetrating oil and slamming down on table did the trick.