Line capacity

Started by UKChris1, September 03, 2020, 03:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UKChris1

I've just loaded a couple of Penn Int reels and thought you might find it of interest:

Int II 30TW - 550 yards 0.67mm

Int 50 (older style with chrome bars) - 625 yards 0.67mm

Line diameter measured with micrometer
Line length measured by counting turns round a spool of 70cm circumference (I need to get a better gadget!)
Loaded to within 1/4" of spool lip

Cheers

Donnyboat

Thank you Chris, all handy info, are you doing much fishing, what part of the UK do you do most of your fishing, also what fish do you expect to catch, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Donnyboat

Chris if you use jiging braid, that changes colour ever 10 M, then you can count the colour changes, to get a fair estimate of how much line, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

oc1

I don't think I could pay attention for that long Chris.  Did you ever lose your count?
-steve

UKChris1

Lose count? Never  :D

"Four hundred and sixty one. Four hundred and sixty two. Four hundred and sixty three."
"Do you want a cup of tea?"
"Tea? Oh, yes please. Thanks. Where was I? Four hundred and thirty six. Um, no?. Three hundred and sixty four. No? Oh bu$$er! ... One, two, three..."

Actually, I have a system and simply stop and move something into a plastic pot for each hundred turns, like a coin. Then I know how many hundreds are involved and don't need to count past 100. Multiply by 7/10 gives me the metres.

I'm in Sussex and fish local lakes and ponds, the local beaches on the South coast (unsuccessfully, mostly), from boats on the South coast too (with a bit more success for skate, conger, bass, etc.) and then the West Country for shark (mostly blue shark - I had nine in two days this year, then three days of foul weather and no fishing). I had my week-long trip to the Canary Islands for blue marlin cancelled twice this year as well (Covid flight cancellations) but did get a big-eye tuna from Tenerife in the spring before lock-down. About 150lb on 50lb stand-up gear. Good fun.

Cheers all

Donnyboat

Well done with the tuna, on that gear, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat