fun with bellevilles!!!!!

Started by alantani, April 13, 2020, 04:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

with the relatively loose tolerances of these older penn international II's, it is possible to dial them "up" or "down," depending on how you want to fish them. earlier, you saw the 50 wide two speed with 1000 yards of 130 pound hollow core braid. these two reels are configured for lighter duty, one on the left with 1100 yards of 100 solid braid and on the right with 1300 yards of 80 pound solid braid. both reels were serviced in the standard fashion with a light coat of grease everywhere, cal's grease on the drag washers, spool bearings with were cleaned and lubed with TSI 321, and side plate bearings that were packed with yamaha marine grease. added to both were the clamps from the penn 70 vsx and my own signature handle grip. the difference is the drag profile. the 100 pound line class reel on the left has four bellevilles in the stiffer "(())" configuration so that the drag pressure ramps up quickly from 10, to 20, to 30 at strike, to 40 and finally 50 at full. the 80 pound line class reel has four bellevilles in a softer "()()" configuration so that the drag pressure ramps up more slowly from 20, to 30 at strike, to 40 at full. now the newer reels are honestly superior in every way, but don't dismiss these older internationals just because of their age. sometimes these old dogs can be taught new tricks!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Hardy Boy

Alan: Have you played around with a 30W ? I wonder what I could get (()) ?

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

alantani

give it a try and see, but check your stock drag profile first to see if you actually need to make any changes. 

xjchad

That's really cool Alan!
Neat to see all the options that are available if you take the time to work through them  8)

You are the master!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Alto Mare

Alan, how is freespool on that reel?  Wouldn't the softer configuration with the Belleville take up more room on the spool shaft?

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

scrinch

Alan, the way you use the parentheses to show the the difference in belleville performance reminds me of equations in math class: (()) equal ()() is similar to (2+(2x2)+2) equal (2+2)x(2+2).

alantani

thanks, guys.  yes, sal, the "()()" configuration takes up more room on the spool shaft.  that's what i was referring to, though, when i mentioned the "loose tolerances" in these reels.  there is room for these kind of modifications.  with newer reels, the tolerances are so tight that you can't monkey around like this. 

Alto Mare

Quote from: alantani on April 14, 2020, 07:53:07 PM
thanks, guys.  yes, sal, the "()()" configuration takes up more room on the spool shaft.  that's what i was referring to, though, when i mentioned the "loose tolerances" in these reels.  there is room for these kind of modifications.  with newer reels, the tolerances are so tight that you can't monkey around like this. 
Ah, yes you did mention the lose tolerance.
Got it Boss!...good job!👍

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

boon

I'm intrigued by the VISX clamp swap. I have an 80S that is missing the clamp and the studs are bent, any chance you know of a "modern" clamp that will fit it, and what hardware is required? I could just buy the "correct" clamp from Mystic but I would prefer a modern option, purely for aesthetics.

alantani

i think this is the one that you need. the clamp itself is cast stainless steel.  the bolts are also stainless.  only the long clamp nuts are chrome over brass. this is the one that i install on all the large internationals.  they are really nice!!!

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/33C-70.aspx

boon

Thanks Alan, will order once this virus mess is out of the way.

I guess worth confirming, is the thread on the bolts the same throughout the sizes? I just checked a schematic and the 80-size bolts have a different part number (034-080T) to the 50's (034-050T).

alantani

UKChris1

Quote from: scrinch on April 14, 2020, 06:13:59 PM
Alan, the way you use the parentheses to show the the difference in belleville performance reminds me of equations in math class: (()) equal ()() is similar to (2+(2x2)+2) equal (2+2)x(2+2).

;D

Made me chuckle - thanks

thorhammer

Hey Boss, gonna do this on my II's to fish up (30STW  and TW; 80T); do you think this can be done on gen I's? I have several 20 and 30's that I'd like to get 25-30 at full on. Probably don't need it for what I use these for but I fish 50 mono over 65 braid so why not...

Thanks!

Lunker Larry

Quote from: UKChris1 on September 02, 2020, 10:22:49 AM
Quote from: scrinch on April 14, 2020, 06:13:59 PM

;D

Made me chuckle - thanks

Only reminded me at how bad I was (still) at math.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?