CS501 and V20

Started by Rancanfish, April 15, 2020, 03:02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

Are these basically the same, just different handles and such?  I have too many of this size reel and wondered if I'd be making a mistake cutting loose the 501's since I prefer the new knob.

Opinions welcome.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

alantani

randy, if i was going to make a reel, the classic series is what i would make.  they're great reels.  not fancy by any stretch, but they have all the attributes that i look for in a conventional reel.  the v-series, for me, is the exact opposite.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Personally, I would select the CS over the V20.  The CS is a smoother reel with less issues if fished as a 30# to max 40# reel.

The V series has SS gears and SS gear shaft/post, but appears to be made of the same material, and has a tendency of gauling against each other as materials of the same properties tend to do when rubbed against each other over a period of time.

My opinion for what it's worth.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rancanfish

Alan,  It has been a long while since I serviced them but I seem to remember thinking they were pretty much the same.  Are there specific details I'm not remembering?   Number of bearings, etc?

Other than price?  I paid $200 vs $125 for the V20.

Gotta run to Fremont, dropping my son's BMW for service,  so will have to follow up...

Oops, Bryan beat me in.  Thanks guys.

alantani

they are probably very close.  i just remember cracking open that first v-series reel and feeling my heart sink.

Rancanfish

Well I might just do that out of boredom (break them down).

I'm going to do a CS625 vs a AS540 too maybe. 

Thank god for old age,  my memory let's me rediscover stuff I used to already know,  lol.

johndtuttle

Quote from: alantani on April 15, 2020, 04:39:59 PM
they are probably very close.  i just remember cracking open that first v-series reel and feeling my heart sink.

What was the trouble you found? From the outside they look pretty sweet.

alantani

it was clearly manufactured overseas.  it lacked the fit and finish that was typical of the reels made by randy kao in southern california.