220 issue...

Started by Beachmaster, April 16, 2020, 09:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beachmaster

I have a 220 that is making a scraping sound when being reeled.  I can actually feel it grabbing while reeling.  The bottom of the spool is scraping somewhere but I don't know where!  It is driving me nuts!  I have filed and scraped and nothing changes!  I will not do it when the spool has been removed.  It could be the side of the spool, but I see no markings anywhere indicating that it is scraping anything.

Midway Tommy

Throw on a couple of pics so we can look at the bottom of the spool and the inside of the rotor. I would think if you can hear a scraping sound you should be able to see some wear somewhere. Where is the spool when you hear the sound, up, down or everywhere?
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Tommy's right -- show us some photos -- and describe at what spool-point the scraping sound is evident, Beachmaster --

Most common is the under spool spacer washers either missing or worn down.

Second would be the clicker spring in the wrong orientation -- causing scraping when the spool is all the way down.

Other things could be a bent rotor, bent spool shaft, warped spool, or the rotor not tightened firmly down.

All of these last things are not common -- and would be evident to you.

All of these things have easy fixes -- and we will be happy to help.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

philaroman

color suspected areas w/ marker & check for "wear"

if marker ink is undisturbed, there's no friction --  marked areas don't need to be "filed and scraped"

philaroman

P.S.  I may have had a loose/chipped oscillation block cause (or, weirdly radiate)

sounds into the top of the reel, so it kinda' sounds like the spool

Beachmaster

Guys, sorry it has taken so long to reply. I am going throw a divorce my wife of 17 years is leaving me and I am a school teacher dealing with all this virtual teaching and I am in remission currently from testicular cancer. So a lot on my plate...I digress.  Here are some pics.  The scrapped stuff down in the rotor is where I used a screwdriver to try to scrape some of that soft metal away. But I don't think it's hitting there. 

foakes

Are tnere (2) spacer washers between the clicker wheel and the bottom of the spool?  --  (1) resistex & (1) brass?

Are they missing or worn out?

If you would like -- send the reel to me.  I will repair it to a new functioning condition -- send it back to you within a few days -- and provide you with an explanation of the rubbing issue and the fix I ended up doing.

N/C.

Just PM me if you want to go this route -- and I will provide mailing instructions.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

farmer56

farmer56  here   ....   why  does  it  always  seam  to  pour  when  it  rains .....  fred  is  a  square  shooter  and  will  fix  you  up  ...  if  you  mail  it  to  fred  i  will  send  some  cash  to  help  defray  some  of  the  expence   ...  zero  strings  ...  just  another  reel  nut  ...  farmer  out      dennis     ......   

Dominick

Good guys on this site.  I would trust my life to Fred.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Beachmaster

Wow just wow! Yes I will PM you Fred and thanks to Farmer as well!

PacRat

I know this is over a year old but Fred do you remember what was wrong with Beachmaster's 220? I have been in a couple recently that had similar rubbing issues.

With one of them I rotated the spool shaft 180 degrees and the rub went away. The shaft seemed a little oversize at the tail end. this was before and after burnishing. Once the shaft was through the pinion it fit proper and oscillation was fine but the tail end of the shaft was very tight going through the pinion. Once the shaft was rotated 180, the spool/winding cup rub went away.

With the other one I gave the spring hump on the bail trip lever a few strokes with an India stone and the biggest part of the knock went away but there was still a slight rub. An empty plastic spool seems to acoustically amplify any minute contact noise. I gave the bottom side of the spool rim a few strokes with some fine sandpaper then gave the sides if spool rim a few strokes also and now it is absolutely silent.

-Mike

oldmanjoe

Quote from: PacRat on August 30, 2021, 05:55:44 AM
I know this is over a year old but Fred do you remember what was wrong with Beachmaster's 220? I have been in a couple recently that had similar rubbing issues.

With one of them I rotated the spool shaft 180 degrees and the rub went away. The shaft seemed a little oversize at the tail end. this was before and after burnishing. Once the shaft was through the pinion it fit proper and oscillation was fine but the tail end of the shaft was very tight going through the pinion. Once the shaft was rotated 180, the spool/winding cup rub went away.

With the other one I gave the spring hump on the bail trip lever a few strokes with an India stone and the biggest part of the knock went away but there was still a slight rub. An empty plastic spool seems to acoustically amplify any minute contact noise. I gave the bottom side of the spool rim a few strokes with some fine sandpaper then gave the sides if spool rim a few strokes also and now it is absolutely silent.

-Mike
That reel above looks like some one added soft lead to try to balance the rotor .  Causing a rub
  I found shims on the wrong side of the main bearing will push the rotor up more and cause spool rubs .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

PacRat

I saw that but assumed the OP had chipped away at the counterbalance.

-Mike