Orvis 50a

Started by ClintB, August 03, 2021, 10:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClintB

I found this little gem in a lot of reels I bought. It definitely needs to be cleaned but the handle actually hangs up on the bail occasionally. What can I do to stop it hitting like that?

foakes

The bail could be bent, Clint —

The bail mount may be stopping too low on the trip mechanism.

However, there is a danger n bending that old bail wire too far upwards to clear the handle — it could easily break — or if not the issue — it could screw up the proper line lay.

My quick fix would be a 1/16th to 1/8th spacer in the crank assembly.

The bail should clear easily at that point — with no major modifications that could not be undone later.

That is a valuable reel — and major mods or a broken bail — will spoil your day.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

ClintB

Thanks Fred!
I think I'll just clean it and find a decent spacer. It seems like a solid little reel, I'd like to get it into fishing shape to go on one of my 1960s Fenwicks.

Clint

Midway Tommy

That's one of the earlier versions (Zangi 1966 - '72)of the 50A given it has the double locking nuts on the crank. Post '72 50As were made by Coptes and had a single knurled tightening nut. It appears to me from your photo that the bail and the bail plate arm are both bent out of alignment a little bit. Your best long term fix is to carefully bend the bail plate arm forwards (down in your 2nd photo) a little where the roller guide sits and very carefully bend the bail wire for the first inch or so (in that same pic) forwards. When adjusted correctly (scroll down to the end) it should look like this.    
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

ClintB

Thanks Tommy!
I'll study that a bit, I definitely don't want to break it. I just wish it had a reversible crank....

philaroman

none of those, but a rare 51/51a pops up occasionally
VERY pricey for nice collectible ones, but an externally beat-up one might draw less attention

Midway Tommy

Even the well used ones seem to consistently bring high prices.  :-\  Never really understood why. It must be because they're a small quality UL. Parts are hard to come by for those things, though.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

ClintB

There were 3 extra spools in the box with everything else.

philaroman

Quote from: Midway Tommy on August 04, 2021, 05:37:51 PM
Even the well used ones seem to consistently bring high prices.  :-\  Never really understood why. It must be because they're a small quality UL. Parts are hard to come by for those things, though.

yeah, Tom...  took a look & I'm dated
thinking back to when there were plenty 50's & couple 51's up for auction at most times
do you know anything about old glass Orvis Spinning rods?
guy next to me on the bank, had one he trash-picked
felt like a nice L/ML...  Daiwa OEM, maybe?

Quote from: ClintB on August 04, 2021, 07:28:50 PM
There were 3 extra spools in the box with everything else.

that's quite a valuable package...  I'd unload it
likely, get enough $$$ for TWO worm-drives & parts for life from Fred

Midway Tommy

Those 50A spools are tough to come by. They'll also fit the 51A. Nice find!

Tommy D (ORCA), NE