How to hook and fight a fish on the fly

Started by Benni3, April 20, 2020, 03:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benni3

With trout,,,, :) when you get a bite pull straight up,,,, :( don't jerk or snap the rod and if you hook a big one,,,, :o just take your time,,,, :-\ no roland martin,,,,son oh son,,hehe,, ;) don't make him mad,,,, >:( easy going and you land him everytime,,,, :D but have seen all kinds of stuff on the river,,,,,,, ;D

jurelometer

Quote from: Benni3 on April 20, 2020, 03:20:04 AM
With trout,,,, :) when you get a bite pull straight up,,,, :( don't jerk or snap the rod and if you hook a big one,,,, :o just take your time,,,, :-\ no roland martin,,,,son oh son,,hehe,, ;) don't make him mad,,,, >:( easy going and you land him everytime,,,, :D but have seen all kinds of stuff on the river,,,,,,, ;D

That is called a "trout strike".   The first thing they will teach you for almost any other species, especially in salt, is to unlearn the trout strike.   For a proper saltwater "strip strike", point the tip toward the fly and pull straight back like you are stripping in line.    A trout strike just gently removes the fly from the fishes mouth.

I had to learn in the opposite direction.   On one of my first trout trips, I got a bite, did a nice solid strip strike,  and the poor little 4 inch trout zipped right past my ear  :o

I think that for just about any situation where you are not using a light tippet or small hook, you are better off fighting the fish  very aggressively.  Especially if you plan to release the fish.

-J

oc1

The trout strike is such a natural reaction that it takes a lot of effort and practice to not do it.

Benny, I think what you are describing is true for many types of fish.  Flounder and bonefish are two of my favorites and both require a lot of restraint.

If you don't make them mad they will not wear themselves out.  There is nothing worse than a cool, calm and collected fish.

-steve

Benni3

It is a art,,,,, ;) but when I hook a big trout and he is in the current rod bent and doesn't move,,,, :o and I don't want to break the line I just wait,,,,, ::) one time for 3 or 4 minutes like a statue,,,,,my arm was toast,,,,, :D but that's ok,,,, :) I have gotten some big trout and some with a fly rod,,,,,, ;) but I think it's just luck,,,,,,,, ;D

wfjord

Bennie, those are considered to be trophy trout in most places!

Benni3

Quote from: wfjord on April 20, 2020, 12:11:23 PM
Bennie, those are trophy trout in most places!
The brook in the middle was in a catch and release area,,,, ??? State record at the time was5lb.5 oz,,,,, ;) but had to let it swim away,,,,,but that's ok,,,,,,, ;D

wfjord

That's a beauty!  At least you have a good photo of it.

Benni3

Quote from: wfjord on April 20, 2020, 09:50:45 PM
That's a beauty!  At least you have a good photo of it.
Thanks very much my friend,,,,,,,, ;D

Benni3

Quote from: oc1 on April 20, 2020, 06:09:18 AM
The trout strike is such a natural reaction that it takes a lot of effort and practice to not do it.

Benny, I think what you are describing is true for many types of fish.  Flounder and bonefish are two of my favorites and both require a lot of restraint.

If you don't make them mad they will not wear themselves out.  There is nothing worse than a cool, calm and collected fish.

-steve
Yes,,,,I think I have seen that on tv,,,,, ;) tarpon fishing on the fly,,, :o oh my,,,,what a ride,,,,,,, ;D

oc1

For tarpon, you do have to trout strike if you can hold on and still have your wits about you.  They have hard bony mouths.
-steve

jurelometer

Quote from: oc1 on April 21, 2020, 03:34:56 AM
For tarpon, you do have to trout strike if you can hold on and still have your wits about you.  They have hard bony mouths.
-steve

Maybe you mean a scissor strike.   Normally, you just want to do do a strip strike on tarpon.  Any bend or angle on the rod, and you are reducing the pulling force on the hook. Normally a couple very strong strip strikes,  and then hang on really tight until the tarpon pulls the line out of your hand. 

But if the fish bites while coming toward you, then a strip strike may not come tight. Pulling the rod back and a bit sideways vigorously while strip striking (a scissor strike) allows you take a bit more slack out the line and get an angle on the fish, so that you don't just gently pull the fly straight out.  Then (hopefully) the fish turns, and you try to get a normal jab or two in before the tarpon takes off.   I have had to use the scissor strike occasionally on big dorado doing the zero to 60 MPH bite.  Small fish usually come to a stop or turn  pretty quickly after taking the fly,  but a big fish has enough momentum to glide an extra foot or three, and then you can't catch up to them with a strip strike.

I have caught less than a dozen jumbo (over 80 lb) tarpon on the fly, and maybe only two or three triple digit fish, so I am not the expert on this.   But I only had to scissor strike once.  Everything else was a garden variety strip strike.   All of the small tarpon I have caught were strip striked.

It's funny.  Since I learned in saltwater first, the strip strike is a natural motion for me.  But you are right.  For the long time trout guys,the trout strike becomes a reflex, and they have a really hard time unlearning it.

-J

Sharkb8

Some good info here I only done a little salt water fly fishing and getting use to strip strikes did not know there was different ways of setting the hooks
KIM

Donnyboat

Yes Kim its all new to me to, benni, its not luck, you need good reflexes, to catch as many fish, that you & Marlo get, reel class, good fishermen, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

jurelometer

Quote from: Donnyboat on April 21, 2020, 04:05:47 PM
Yes Kim its all new to me to, benni, its not luck, you need good reflexes, to catch as many fish, that you & Marlo get, reel class, good fishermen, cheers Don.

Agree.  Think how good they would be if they got out to fish more often.   ;D

jurelometer

A couple more thoughts.   Trout fishing with light tippet and small hooks does benefit from the methods than Bennie suggested.  It is all about tippet protection, and it takes very little force to set a hook.

As I mentioned before, in saltwater, the strip strike is king, and over time, the trout style of playing a fish is being supplanted by a much more aggressive style.  Low rod angle is key here, as is changing  the rod angle constantly to always pull low and sideways toward the tail of the fish when you get within the last 80 feet or so.  If you are planning to release the fish, taking a long time to land it is not doing it any favors.  While there is the occasional species that can be eased in, many more will give up more quickly if you put the heat on.

GTs are a perfect example.  Even though GTs have a reputation for being hard fighters,  putting the brakes on as hard as you can get away with early in the fight will often break their will quickly.   

I have been using  a late, light strip strike more lately,  almost like fishing a circle hook.   I let the line start to come tight, and then a nice smooth jab.   I don't hook as many fish, and miss a lot in certain situations, but end up with a much higher percentage of corner-of-the-jaw hookups.  Much better for releasing fish, and if I do manage to hook a big one, it can't chew through the leader.    Doesn't work as  well on the swim up, vacuum, then stop bite.

-J