Cals tan

Started by Marktrahan, April 20, 2020, 03:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marktrahan

Has anyone ever tried mixing corrosion x with cals tan to make it thinner I know cals makes a purple I just have lots of cals tan and was wandering if it would work for a little thinner drag grease ?

foakes

Cal's tan or purple can be used on all parts of a reel that require grease.  

Although, for my volume of work -- expense-wise, a much better alternative is Yamaha Marine, clear Super-Lube, or Penn Blue.

I buy Cal's in 1 pound tubs.  Always 2 tan & 1 purple when getting low.

On smaller spinners that need to operate easier -- but protected -- I mix 1/4 synthetic oil to 3/4 Cal's purple.  It is expensive -- but works well.

This particularly works well on bearings -- after cleaning thoroughly, and soaking in the oil jar for 10 minutes -- then applying the mixture.

I have never tried mixing oil and Cal's on the CF drags -- although I am sure it does get mixed up over time and usage -- depending on the type of reel.

Some drag stacks will require us to work the Cal's into the weave on the CF's -- and not leave much excess.

Other reel drag applications will allow us to liberally apply the drag grease -- knowing that it will both be a protection from salt intrusion -- and whatever is not necessary will be squeezed out to mix with the other greases and oils inside the casing.

Experiment and let us know!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Marktrahan

Thanks for the reply Fred I did mix up a small batch this mourn and it did blend up very well I will be trying it on small spinners and baitcasters.