Okuma Clarion CLR-203L Levelwind broken

Started by Brandon G, April 22, 2020, 02:13:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon G

Quote from: Porthos on April 24, 2020, 01:07:19 AM
At least 2 of the drag washers and the under gear washer are not CF...not opening leaves reel in less than optimal config.

You could try filing off the the damaged screw top, use a very flat needle file, make a new slot for a flat head screw driver, and give that a try.

The next option is to file the screw off as close to the handle as possible so that the base of the nut will clear the screw stub that is left. Once the handle is off, the stub can be then extracted so that the handle can be reused with a new nut retention screw.

After spraying it and letting it sit over night and taking a lunch break to spray it haha I used a very formed phillips driver and slowly got it loose and out.

Where would I buy drag washers and the like for this guy? (probably the same place I got the replacement gear idler) answering my own questions lol. Unless you have a great place to purchase from
Tight Lines :)

Porthos

If they were open, directly from Okuma.

If Smooth Drag is open, then from Dawn.

How soon do you need to get this reel wet?

Brandon G

Quote from: Porthos on April 24, 2020, 01:50:19 AM
If they were open, directly from Okuma.

If Smooth Drag is open, then from Dawn.

How soon do you need to get this reel wet?

By whenever they open up fishing again in WA state.. haha but I would like to get it going asap, but if not I'll have to wait.
I'll look at Smoothdrag

Brandon G

Quote from: Porthos on April 24, 2020, 01:07:19 AM
At least 2 of the drag washers and the under gear washer are not CF...not opening leaves reel in less than optimal config.

You could try filing off the the damaged screw top, use a very flat needle file, make a new slot for a flat head screw driver, and give that a try.

The next option is to file the screw off as close to the handle as possible so that the base of the nut will clear the screw stub that is left. Once the handle is off, the stub can be then extracted so that the handle can be reused with a new nut retention screw.

So, I quickly ordered a gear idler the other day and forgot where I ordered from.
Here is the place, Let me know if you know of another place. https://stores.tunasreeltroubles.com/clr-203l/

Brandon G

Well, I got my idler gear from Tuna's Reel Troubles a few days ahead of schedule.
They call it a transmission gear, so I probably have been saying the wrong part this entire time, unless in other brands its called idler.

In the photo with the magnet, I found a bunch of steel wool fibers in the side cap. I know it was from me because I have some on my desk. Yikes.
I appreciate all the help and advise I got in this thread. I know this is probably the easiest part swap, fix but I figured I would take pictures because what the hay.

Brewcrafter

You are probably already all over this after having spent any time on this site - but it bears mentioning - invest in quality drag grease - most folks use Cal's, which is widely available (Smoothdrag has it, or you can order direct from Cal's if any of your local "full service" tackle shops don't have it).  Consider it a "must" for the drags, but can be used anywhere you would use quality grease in a reel application.  Downside, if you do a LOT of reels, is that it is expensive, hence why a lot of folks will use multiple lubricants depending on application (drags, bearings, corrosion proofing, etc).  But if you only do a handful of reels over a year it makes a fine general grease and will prevent you from having to invest in multiple different lubricants. - john

Brandon G

Quote from: Brewcrafter on April 25, 2020, 10:17:11 PM
You are probably already all over this after having spent any time on this site - but it bears mentioning - invest in quality drag grease - most folks use Cal's, which is widely available (Smoothdrag has it, or you can order direct from Cal's if any of your local "full service" tackle shops don't have it).  Consider it a "must" for the drags, but can be used anywhere you would use quality grease in a reel application.  Downside, if you do a LOT of reels, is that it is expensive, hence why a lot of folks will use multiple lubricants depending on application (drags, bearings, corrosion proofing, etc).  But if you only do a handful of reels over a year it makes a fine general grease and will prevent you from having to invest in multiple different lubricants. - john

I have Cal's on the way. I stupidly ordered from Amazon instead of Mystic... it would have been here already had it been from Mystic.
My Penn Precision Grease was here pretty quickly through Amazon, but I think Cal's is literally coming from Australia. (Said shipped with Australian Post)

Is Penn Precision grease not suitable for drags? I put some on my Penn 109LH drags... should I quickly take that sucker apart and wipe them down?!?!
With Cal's I have read to liberally grease up the drags, then wipe them off with a cloth so there isn't any excess. Am I remembering the process correctly, or is that personal preference?
I've also been told to only use lube on the gear shaft (The part you pop the pin out of, then slide that off, inside there LUBE only), but I seen Dennis from Second Chance Tackle put grease in there, so I'm slightly confused.

Porthos

With star drags no need to wipe off; no need to overdo it either. A reasonable amount that fully covers and a bit of excess that will squeeze out when star is tightened.

The wiping off of excess grease applies to lever drag washers.

mo65

Quote from: Brandon G on April 25, 2020, 10:22:28 PM
Is Penn Precision grease not suitable for drags? I put some on my Penn 109LH drags... should I quickly take that sucker apart and wipe them down?!?!

Don't sweat the Penn blue on the drags. I made the same mistake on a few reels years ago and popped one open recently...it was just fine. They say it will deteriorate carbon fiber drags...must take a long time...HA! For top performance though...Cal's grease is the ticket.

I've also been told to only use lube on the gear shaft (The part you pop the pin out of, then slide that off, inside there LUBE only), but I seen Dennis from Second Chance Tackle put grease in there, so I'm slightly confused.

I think most of the guys here grease the gear sleeve, I know I do. Not only does the grease stay put and prevent corrosion or rust on the sleeve post, it makes the reel crank smoother than oiling the gear sleeve. If it comes out a little too stiff...just squirt some light oil into the end. Even if the reel is buttoned up, there is an oil port on the handle nut.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Brandon G

Quote from: mo65 on May 06, 2020, 02:45:46 PM

Don't sweat the Penn blue on the drags. I made the same mistake on a few reels years ago and popped one open recently...it was just fine. They say it will deteriorate carbon fiber drags...must take a long time...HA! For top performance though...Cal's grease is the ticket.

I think most of the guys here grease the gear sleeve, I know I do. Not only does the grease stay put and prevent corrosion or rust on the sleeve post, it makes the reel crank smoother than oiling the gear sleeve. If it comes out a little too stiff...just squirt some light oil into the end. Even if the reel is buttoned up, there is an oil port on the handle nut.

Thank you! Right after I posted that I got really nervous and I took it apart and dabbed the grease off until there wasn't any more rings on the paper towels. I am still waiting on my Cals grease. I should have just ordered that through Mystic when I ordered my drags... It was "shipped" on the 16th of April.