Horricks Ibbotson

Started by Bill B, April 22, 2020, 09:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

My favorite live aboard trawler captain dropped off a bag of reels for repair and servicing, in the bag was this old Horricks Ibbotson reel.  I'm liking the post style seat, 3 post frame construction and wooden pear shaped handle.  I wouldn't want to fish it, but a cool old reel from the past.  It's pretty big, comparable to a Penn 113 4/0.  The bronze main gear is about the same as a Penn 155 and the bronze pinion about the same as a Long Beach.  Only two drag washers, 1 on top the main and one below the main.  Would have expected bigger gears on a reel this size.  Going to clean up the verdigris, lube, and it will probably sit on his shelf.    Bill

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

xjchad

That's a really neat reel Bill!
Would love to see the innards  8)
Husband, Father, Fisherman

oc1

Bill, is that clutch lever on backwards?  Sometimes that's a bad sign.
=steve

Bill B

Good eye Steve.  If this is the original lever then it's on correct, turned the other way it hit the side plate.  Inside the clutch lever moves the main gear away from the pinion that slots on the spool.  Crude by today's standards but effective. What amazes me is the size of the reel doesn't support the inwards.  

Bill B

Here's a picture of the 4/0 next to its 3/0 little brother that's in my collection.

happyhooker

Understated old-time reel, with a pedigree from an understated old-time company.  Cleaned up, she'll probably look better, but the classic lines are already visible.

Frank