Manually Closing the Bail

Started by Balvar24, April 24, 2020, 03:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balvar24

Most of these reels were made before I was.

I've always been in the habit of closing the bail manually, but have done it both ways over the years.  I've never had many issues with birds nest.

My fingers are just too big and the trip lever too small on the 110's.  The button on the 110N is a little easier to manipulate, but if I'm too slow, the bail flops all the way over.

Does it matter that much?

Midway Tommy

To some people it a real big deal but it sure isn't to me.

I use both types of ABU made spinners and I seldom, if ever, manually close my bail. I've never had a major problem laying my cast where it was intended and if I want the lure to sink I want the bail open to allow line to go out. If it's a floating lure it really doesn't matter because additional line won't go out.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

I prefer a manual bail...but I use these type all the time. It takes a little getting used to, but becomes second nature fast. The only drawback I've encountered is all that slamming shut on my Penn 720z busted a bail spring. Who knows though...it could have been weak to begin with. This I do know: Don't grease those bail parts! Grease collects every grain of sand within arm's length and botches the operation. They operate much better dry...or with maybe a light film of synthetic lube. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

As we become more minutely familiar with each of our reels and their proper designed functions -- closing or not closing the bail manually becomes more of a choice for certain conditions.

Personally, I seldom close my spinner bails manually except when bait fishing with an open bail, a penny, and a loose line for non-spook pickups.  Then the bail is closed manually just before setting the hook.

At least for me -- it is more important to always know exactly where the bail tripper nub actually is -- in relation to the bail trip mechanism.  Ideally, I try to make sure that there is a 270 degree headstart on the rotation before the bail return is tripped.

Spinners are not all the same -- some work better when the bail is opened from 6 to 12.  Some better from 12 to 6.  With some it doesn't make much difference. 

90% of the time -- I just let the bail close with the rotation of the reel.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Balvar24

I had a Walmart special Quantum with a teeny tiny spool some years ago that would get loops no mater what.  New line, long casts just to get the slack out, it didn't matter.  I finally was able to fix it by giving it away.

Balvar24

Quote from: Midway Tommy on April 24, 2020, 06:26:30 PM
To some people it a real big deal but it sure isn't to me.

I've never had a major problem laying my cast where it was intended and if I want the lure to sink I want the bail open to allow line to go out. If it's a floating lure it really doesn't matter because additional line won't go out.   

Good point.  A lot of my ultralight fishing is with a slip bobber at depth.

Balvar24

Another stupid question.

What did everyone do before the days of Silent AR?

Turn it off unless they had a fish on, or just listen to it sing all the time?

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Balvar24 on May 13, 2020, 11:25:26 PM

Turn it off unless they had a fish on?

Yep, still do on my green and tan ABU Cardinals and AM Classic IV. Once I've set the hook while holding the handle I flip the AR button. I've never really cared much for that clicker sound.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

philaroman

would you believe I have a Biomaster (1st model?  ...before it was JDM Stradic equivalent)

with silent, disengaging A/R...  AND a bunch of extra crap to click during retrieve

I mean, like a half dozen superfluous parts/frame features: separate ratchet, dog, spring, more...

w/ no purpose whatsoever, other than to negate the silent A/R  ??? ??? ???

Alto Mare

As Fred mentioned not all spinners are created the same.
On some spinners that I use the most, as the 650ss and 750ss , I believe you would be better off getting used to closing the bail by hand.
These reels have a plastic bumper that the bail wire hits so it could close.
Many of these plastic bumpers get cracked as you use them.
I actually replace some of mine with a rubber bumper, using a little silicone instead of the screw.

Other reels are not meant to be closed by hand and if you do, you could actually damage them.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cuttyhunker

This conversation brings to mind a big old spinner in dad's tackle.  It was bigger than a Mitch Salt Water 302 as I recall, and the thing had a full bail that was totally manual both open and close mounted on a big surf rod. It never showed up in his tackle when he passed. It was, I think, black, and it was heavy. The first time I saw it was in the late fifties when I was a kid chasing trout upgraded to a Mitch 304 from a Zebco 22.  This ring a bell with anyone as to what this brute was?
Doomed from childhood

mo65

Quote from: Balvar24 on May 13, 2020, 11:25:26 PM

You can slap a big blob of grease on the AR dog and nearly silence the thing if the sound bothers you. Personally, I tweak springs to the point of excessive wear on the dog...I love to hear my reels...I grew up riding motorsicles with straight pipes. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Brewcrafter

Quote from: Cuttyhunker on May 14, 2020, 11:43:24 AM
This conversation brings to mind a big old spinner in dad's tackle.  It was bigger than a Mitch Salt Water 302 as I recall, and the thing had a full bail that was totally manual both open and close mounted on a big surf rod. It never showed up in his tackle when he passed. It was, I think, black, and it was heavy. The first time I saw it was in the late fifties when I was a kid chasing trout upgraded to a Mitch 304 from a Zebco 22.  This ring a bell with anyone as to what this brute was?

Cuttyhunker - Does this look like it?  My Dad's old Mitchell 488 surf reel.  Even when new Out of the Box - this thing had gear whine like an automotive supercharger.

Midway Tommy

QuoteThe first time I saw it was in the late fifties when I was a kid chasing trout upgraded to a Mitch 304 from a Zebco 22.  This ring a bell with anyone as to what this brute was?

Very well could have been a Luxor Saumon Mer or Airex Beachcomber since it was in the mid '50s & black.

The Mitchell 488 didn't come out until the late '60s & is blue.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE