Stress Free Adventures

Started by Newell Nut, April 26, 2020, 06:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benni3

Happy birthday,,,, :D looks like it was a good one,,,,,,,,, ;D

Newell Nut

We don't normally fish weekends but next week's forecast was poor so we decided to get out. We got out early before sunrise to beat the crowds but when we got back in it was amazing how many boats were in the intercoastal water. Managed to get loaded at the ramp quick and escaped with some fish. Our first mangos of the season were today and a couple crevalle jacks and vermilion snapper. The biggest mango was on the big rod and a big red snapper that we can't get away from. One of the jacks that I hooked was flying away from the boat fast and after it got tired I worked it back a ways and then it ran straight at the boat and rammed the engine bracket right between the engines and cut my line at the same time.

Dwight

Benni3

Nice looking fish and I see a new torque there,,,,,,,, ;D

Newell Nut

The torque 7500 is a tough fast reel. 50" a turn and 50lb drag.

Alto Mare

Never a bad trip on the stress free!
Very nice guys!... I always enjoy seeing these.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

The fish are starting to gather so we are watching the weather closely for an opportunity to get out safely. June usually smooths out quite a bit for at least a couple trips a week.

Dwight

Benni3

Quote from: Newell Nut on May 25, 2020, 10:25:48 AM
The torque 7500 is a tough fast reel. 50" a turn and 50lb drag.
That's a cool reel,,,,,,, ;D

Newell Nut

Another episode of Stress Free Adventures. Since we got our own boat we have seen some amazing sights and it happened today. The fish in the pics are all mine but I always send some home with Larry if he strikes out. He had a rough day getting bit off or catching the nuisance red snappers.
There is supposed to be another mango in the pic but before Larry could get his reel secured and get the net a giant Goliath got my big mango just three feet from me. It was exciting to see such a huge dinosaur fish but he got my mango. That ain't all. We keep a big rod hanging off the bow with a live bait about 30 ft deep. Right after snapping my line and stealing my mango he spots my other bait and sucks that in. Now he has to fight for his life with Sal's 9/0. He got to the bottom and cut the leader off but he had to work for it. No more trouble after that except just a Larry gaffed my king mackerel a cuda got the tail.

One of those wild and crazy days aboard the Stress Free.

Dwight

RowdyW

Dwight, it's strange to see Mangos that are red. Our Mangos in SE FL. are mostly gray. It must be because of a slightly different diet.

Newell Nut

The change after you put them in the cooler. They grey coming out of the water. It is more of a dirty orange in the cooler instead of red like a red snapper.

Swami805

The food chain in full effect
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Newell Nut

Yes indeed. We tied to catch that cuda with a live grunt and no luck on a free line and then I had the king and he had to have a piece. I had a chance to free gaff it once when it stuck its nose to the chum bag. Glad it did not try to eat the chum bag. There is always a bigger fish wanting to eat smaller fish.

Dwight

Alto Mare

Never a bad day on the stress free!

I need to see those Goliath Groupers up close, so I'm putting together a reel for you that should be able to help.

Benni was able to bring one close to the boat with a 9/0 I assembled for him, I wonder what kind of line he used on his.

Nevertheless, I'm sending you a little larger reel.

Keep it going buddy!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

Getting excited Sal. Last year we landed a 400 lb one on your 9/0 using 130 momoi main line and 100 lb fluorocarbon leader. The one I saw yesterday dwarfed the one last year. Last week or the week before I hooked another giant that I was afraid my rod was going to snap on. If I go more drag then I need to build a heavier rod. They make a stub 130 but they have not opened a season on them but it is being discussed. I think they have been protected for nearly 30 years now. If we could keep one I could not get it in the boat. I don't have a tuna door on the boat to slide it in. I have numbers where some big ones live just to hook one and play.

I wish you could see one up close. It is exciting and intimidating at the same time. Before we got our boat we fished on a friend's boat. Larry hooked some huge and fought it and it suddenly got slack. He pulled in about a 12 lb snapper that was mashed flat and scaled so a goliath that was not large enough to swallow it just let go after crushing it.

Dwight

Benni3