Roller 50-80 multi piece travel rod how to find screwed ferules

Started by Reinaard van der Vossen, December 04, 2011, 02:26:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UKChris

I've used both short straight and short bent butts for stand-up marlin and both work fine. To my mind, the advantage of the bent butt is that you can actually get away with using it for a while without a butt pad whilst the chaos in the cockpit is settled when you have a double-header and the other guy is getting set in the chair. When all is calm, you can get the mate to put the pad on you. It works because the bent butt lays flat along your front where the straight butt would try to perforate you in the middle.

The other advantage is that the straight butt under great strain can slip up out of the butt pad and that is an unpleasant experience! The bent butt is most unlikely to do so, no matter what.

Finally, the bent butt is better for lifting a fish that has gone deep and the rod can stay lower without the reel getting too far away from your body and folding you over. But, the straight butt is fine for lighter gear (say up to 50lb max) and for fish on the surface when you might want the rod a little higher it has the advantage.

I've used both on 50 and 80 and would certainly go for the bent one for 80 line.

I'm no expert though, but under tuition have managed several blue marlin over 500lb stand-up now and have experinced those moments of being not quite in control that comes with heavy drag, heavy sea and heavy fish stand-up!

Chris

George4741

Hmmm, I seem to have missed this thread back in Jan/Feb.  Now that it is resurrected, Reinaard, how long is the rod with the straight butt, and how has it performed?

George
viurem lliures o morirem

saltydog

I have a couple travel rods with both bent and straight butts,the bent butt is great when you are doing alot of trolling and fighting fish that mostly stay straight down or are drifting big weights and baits over the bottom for swords and tuna but if you are going after Marlin,wahoo and Dorado I would use the straight butt because it will allow you to put alot of pressure on a fish that stays on the surface and jumps alot.And for throwing baits it's kinda hard to do with a bent butt
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Reinaard van der Vossen

Quote from: George4741 on October 17, 2012, 12:49:12 AM
Hmmm, I seem to have missed this thread back in Jan/Feb.  Now that it is resurrected, Reinaard, how long is the rod with the straight butt, and how has it performed?

George

From the top of my head it is "5'6" but I'll measure it up later.

I've hooked up an very large blue marlin (800 - 900 lb) but not on this rod.

This rod, unfortunately, has seen no fish

Reinaard van der Vossen

Prevous post almost 4 years ago.

Last time I said the rod had seen no fish.

That has changed :D ;D

Several cow BFT have been caught in the past years, up to approx 400 lb. I'm very happy with the rod as it performed flawlessly

The rod is combined with a Mak 50W and 135lb hollow izorline backing (some 800-900 meters) Topshot is depending where I fish and for what species. For trolling I like the yellow sufix supreme 0,9 mm which is rated by sufix as 110 lb. For drifting on tuna I use 1mm maxima clear which is rated for 100lb (but is possibly stronger)  I'm considering a blue smoke topshot for very shy fish conditions, either jinkai of sufix.

Depending the purpose/species/area I use leaders as light as 80 lb fluorocarbon or 100-130 fluor if fish are big when drifting/chumming and 300lb-450lb Momoi x hard when trolling for marlin.

The rod can be fished hard: I have been over 50 lb of drag on instances of the fight when fighting heavy tuna's in deep water. It is difficult to keep the drag that high for elongated periods of time though.

I purchased a 30-80 pinacle marine rod with a 30 Mak as wel to have a slightly lighter outfit