White king blueberry Gravlox

Started by gstours, April 28, 2020, 05:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

As I always wanted to make this Gravlox variation excuses were always given.   Now I thought 💭.
    It was quite easy actually,  the ingredients were 2 tblspoons vodka, 1 cup crushed berries, 3 tblsp. Kosher salt, 5 tblsp. White sugar, 1 tsp ground coriander, 1 tsp dill powder, 1 tblsp black pepper. 2 tblsp olive oil. 
  Add to food chopper, pulse until you are happy 😊.  Put salmon on waxed butcher paper in a shallow pan.
Spoon over a third on the paper, lay skin side down, slather the remaining ingredients over and brush to distribute.  Fold paper over, wrap with plastic film, add a board, or plate? On top and weight down with a milk jug, or pan of water.
Turn over the fish twice a day, after 3 days, cut off a piece.  It's about done curing 3-5 days.  Taste every day and see what you think 🤔.....   then invite a good friend over for ore durves!

gstours

Oops 🙊 I forgot to mention in the ingredients 1 lime was zested and squeezed into the purée.
   The vodka was sprinkled on the fish after it was patted dry with paper towels.
I thought the colors were interesting, the berries aren't really don't add much flavor I didn't think.
   This is a great change from smoked fish,  making a extra ordinary snack.

Decker

Would love to try that.  Looks to be an acquired taste ::)  How do you serve it, Gary?

David Hall

I never thought about adding a bunch of flavourings, I've only made it once with just salt and sugar.  It was very good and I definitely plan on making more of it this year.  I'll try some different spice and herbs and see what happens. 

philaroman

Quote from: gstours on April 28, 2020, 05:33:36 PM
Oops 🙊 I forgot to mention in the ingredients 1 lime was zested and squeezed into the purée.
  The vodka was sprinkled on the fish after it was patted dry with paper towels.
I thought the colors were interesting, the berries aren't really don't add much flavor I didn't think.

recipe prob. meant for wild blueberries (tiny w/ 10X stronger/BETTER flavor/aroma)
dried blueberries reconstituted w/ a splash of blueberry extract/liquor may get you to the same ballpark
black currant (cassis) is a very potent berry that can be found in various preserved forms
lemon won't mask the berry flavor, as much as lime...  esp., the zest

gstours

Thanks for your response,  this stuff is so good that I didn't want to pair it with crackers nor cheese, butt that is I made it for me.  For sharing there is lots of options.  I sliced it about 1/4 inch thick after skinning leaving the skin attached to the mother piece and liked it.   
  My advice is to use less salt than equal parts of sugar as most recipes suggest.  I was limited to my pantry and had no fresh dell.   The vodka was economy grade.   Overall it was great 👍.
    If I'd only caught a few more fish 🐟?   🤷‍♂️

jigmaster501

If that is wild salmon, you will need to freeze it at -4F for 7 days prior to curing. This will kill all viable parasites in the flesh.

Also make sure to keep the fish below 38F at all times to prevent Clostridium botulinum toxin formation. the blueberry color penetrates nicely in the flesh.