Casting lead sinkers

Started by rogan, April 28, 2020, 09:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogan

Not really a lure, but its terminal tackle.  Did some casting over the last couple weeks; 2 and 4 oz bombs, 3/16 drop shots (also 1/8 and 1/4 but I forgot to photo those), 3/8 and 1/2 tear drop style drop shots for a friend who bass fishes, and some 1/2, 3/4 and 1oz sliders for the upcoming Cedros trip. I use the flat bank sinkers in my carp fishing. Gotta work on some torpedoes next...

Anybody else cast their own?

wailua boy

Can't say I do but given the price of lead(at least in my region), I can see why. I do go diving to recover used lead at popular fishing areas and that keeps me stocked.

rogan

QuoteCan't say I do but given the price of lead(at least in my region), I can see why. I do go diving to recover used lead at popular fishing areas and that keeps me stocked.

Great idea, I don't have any dedicated spots like that where I can dive in the freshwater lakes that I fish.  I was gifted about 100lb of lead, so I've been able to cast a lot of sinkers on the cheap.  Local price here in AZ for scrap lead runs between 1 and 2 dollars a pound. Even at that price, it makes casting your own significantly cheaper that buying new.

Bryan Young

I really need to learn to cast egg sinkers.  We used to pour lead head jigs and down rigger balls at Alan's house...until I spilled a few pounds on his driveway that went into the gravel.  I was horrified and tried to get as much out as possible.  Cool Joe Alan shrugged it off and after a few days, it was hardly noticeable since it oxidized.  That is the last time we poured lead anything.  Those downriver balls were the hardest.  It was hard to heat up the mold enough in the beginning.  I think between pours, we had to pour lead in to heat up the mold then open it up and pour the ball so the mold had enough heat.  I should start casting lead weights again.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Sharkb8

I use to make my own snapper leads years ago, I knew a guy he was only 25 when he died of lead poisoning  be careful.

Kim

CapeFish

That's hectic, how did he poison himself

Sharkb8

By the lead fumes he was not in a well ventilated area an got lead poisoning

Kim

Rancanfish

I pour 3 & 4 oz. jigheads and 2 & 2-1/2lb salmon balls.  I have way too many, lol.

I posted them up for sale on different sites, cheaper than anyone.  Never got a bite.

I just bought some lead diving weights at a fishing club swap meet awhile back. I'll probably melt them into ingots to fit my melting pot.

Actually a lot of fun until you spill or get a moisture pop.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Brewcrafter

Fond memories of my Dad and I casting lead sinkers.  At the time I was in the printing industry, and letterpress type was worth next to nothing (this had to be about 40 years ago).  I still have all of the equipment, and I have to believe there is a couple hundred pounds of sinkers in the garage at my Mom's house.  Back then rockcod fishing out of Morro Bay consisted of a 6/0 Penn loaded with 80# Dacron, a power handle, and a broomstick rod with a rail plate and anywhere from 2-6# of lead on the end depending on depth and current. - john

Dominick

Since we are on the subject of lead sinkers, what is your opinion on the shape of a lead sinker when drift fishing for rock fish and lings over rock structure?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Rancanfish

Dom,  I was taught by a really good fisherman,  so I get away with alot when using my 4oz swimbait jigs.  If I'm doing drifts with bait I use my torpedos, just because I have lots. But if I have them handy I like round weights.

I like a slower drift because I get a chance to tap the jig in place (like black bassing).  In a fast drift it's tough for everybody. You are going to snag if you snooze even for a second.

But I see the quiet fish killer in you. What is your preference?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Rocket Dog

I remember just melting tire weighs as a youngster using an old torch set my dad had. Now I find myself look into big jig head molds +8oz...

Bryan Young

Dominick,

I like pencil or sick shaped lead for rock-coding.  I really should make a mold someday.

The reason is it's small let diameter will get down a little it faster if it goes down straight, and if it falls into a hole in the rocks, you have a better chance of geting it out.  Second choice is a single ring torpedo sinker.  I don't install the bottom ring if I'm pouring for rock cod weights.  It just ends up getting smashed anyway..
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mo65

We have a buddy who fishes with us that makes our sinkers...and we go through a lot considering the snags in the river. There are so many different styles of sinkers designed for the many types of fishing...it really is interesting to read about...great thread! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

RowdyW

When you are a young kid without lead weights you visited a local gas station or garage and they supplied you with old spark plugs free. They were fine in the brooks and ponds. I bet a lotof us old timers remember those times?         Rudy