Casting lead sinkers

Started by rogan, April 28, 2020, 09:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy Boy

railway tie with a hole drill at top for line. Cheap and non toxic and if they break off no biggie. I never used them but one of my buddies used them all of the time. Lead now is 4 bucks a pound here. I get mine from a friend that recovers down rigger weights when scuba diving .......... one spot resulted in 100 balls in two dives !! :o

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Dominick

Quote from: Rancanfish on April 29, 2020, 03:34:20 PM
Dom,  I was taught by a really good fisherman,  so I get away with alot when using my 4oz swimbait jigs.  If I'm doing drifts with bait I use my torpedos, just because I have lots. But if I have them handy I like round weights.

I like a slower drift because I get a chance to tap the jig in place (like black bassing).  In a fast drift it's tough for everybody. You are going to snag if you snooze even for a second.

But I see the quiet fish killer in you. What is your preference?
I use balls also.  But I have used banana shaped (sickle shaped) for drifting for butts.  I am interested in a consensus on what other's use.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Dominick

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 29, 2020, 02:40:52 AM
I really need to learn to cast egg sinkers.  We used to pour lead head jigs and down rigger balls at Alan's house...until I spilled a few pounds on his driveway that went into the gravel.  I was horrified and tried to get as much out as possible.  Cool Joe Alan shrugged it off and after a few days, it was hardly noticeable since it oxidized.  That is the last time we poured lead anything.  Those downriver balls were the hardest.  It was hard to heat up the mold enough in the beginning.  I think between pours, we had to pour lead in to heat up the mold then open it up and pour the ball so the mold had enough heat.  I should start casting lead weights again.
Bryan, what did you mean by "oxidized"?  Lead does not rust.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Rancanfish

Dom, lead will get lead oxide, the whitish powder you see on them.

Hardie boy, last time I used railroad ties the boat capsized.  (You mean spikes, lol?)
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Brewcrafter

Quote from: RowdyW on April 29, 2020, 08:01:28 PM
When you are a young kid without lead weights you visited a local gas station or garage and they supplied you with old spark plugs free. They were fine in the brooks and ponds. I bet a lotof us old timers remember those times?         Rudy

I can personally attest to a fleet worth of sparkplugs being lost when fishing jetties and breakwaters!  - John

Rancanfish

You must be old John.   ;D

I wonder what condition they are in after all these years.  I would imagine little ceramic tubes with crumbling metal on the inside?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Hardy Boy

yeah spikes ........................ ties would require a very stout rod ! :o

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

wascallywabit

Quote from: RowdyW on April 29, 2020, 08:01:28 PM
When you are a young kid without lead weights you visited a local gas station or garage and they supplied you with old spark plugs free. They were fine in the brooks and ponds. I bet a lotof us old timers remember those times?         Rudy

While you were at the gas station you could also pick up some old wheel weights to melt down like we did. (man I'm getting old).

Ed