Preferred hook for Sabiki rig

Started by Brendan, April 29, 2020, 05:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brendan

I was just wondering what hook model number is preferred for making your own Sabikis. Thanks for any input in advance. Brendan.

philaroman

generally, something with a longer shank & upturned eye for snell knots

size & style depends on which baitfish I target & whether it's all-artificial,

or I'm adding some kind of durable bait

Brendan

Thank You. The target would be Pacific Mackerel and all artificial. Just something to tinker with while sheltering in place.
Brendan.

Swami805

There's a few guys around here that make some really nice ones. They use hook for flys with light wire, a long shank and no eye. They snell them on,the end of the hooks,shank is flattened to stop the snell from sliding off. No idea why they use those.
I remember the old days and lucky joes, a hook with yarn wrapped on it
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Brendan

Lucky Joe on those green hand lines. Good times.
Brendan.

philaroman

Quote from: Brendan on April 30, 2020, 12:01:30 AM
Thank You. The target would be Pacific Mackerel and all artificial. Just something to tinker with while sheltering in place.
Brendan.

that's more salty/toothy/big/aggressive than I know about bait-collection rigs

just guessing, but I'd worry about rig longevity more than anything

consider stainless rather than high-carbon -- you can find nice NOS pretty cheap, B/C it's not PC for C&R, LOL

Brendan

Just little green backs. I'm not sure what you meant.
Thanks, Brendan.

boon

Tiny Gamakatsu Live Bait hooks, size 10-12.

Very stout little hooks for their size, sharp as anything. I buy Sabikis hand-tied by a local gentleman on these hooks, 20lb fluorocarbon, they last forever instead of being virtually disposable like the cheap ones.

oc1

Quote from: boon on May 01, 2020, 03:59:31 AM
Tiny Gamakatsu Live Bait hooks, size 10-12.

Yeah, what Boon said.  I use Gamakatsu live bait hooks for almost everything.  The high carbon ones with thick wire and barb.  The stay sharp longer and will not bend if snagged.  The package was thrown away but I think mine are size 6.  You cannot put them away wet with saltwater though or they will rust and they're impossible to re-sharpen.  The trouble with all sabiki is keeping them untangled.  Any good ideas out there for storing them?
-steve

jurelometer

Quote from: oc1 on May 01, 2020, 04:53:40 AM
The trouble with all sabiki is keeping them untangled.  Any good ideas out there for storing them?
-steve

Pool noodles.  The pangeros in Baja cut off sections slightly longer than the 12oz torpedo sinkers they use.   Leave the sinker attached and jam it into the hole in the center. Jam the swivel from  the top end into the end of the noodle section.  The noodle section with the sinker still on will sink when you toss it in a bucket of fresh water to rinse.  If you use a smaller sinker, maybe cook up something that will help capture it in the center hole

The SoCal guys just throw away the sabikis after each use, but I can't do that.  It seems so wasteful.

-J

oc1

Thanks, I'll try them.  Do they stick each hook into the foam, or leave them flopping around?  Those tiny hooks grab everything.  Maybe put it into its own small plastic container.
-steve

philaroman

if you want to pay, you could modify a Lindy:
https://www.bing.com/search?q=lindy+snell+holder&form=EDNTHB&mkt=en-us&httpsmsn=1&msnews=1&rec_search=1&plvar=0&refig=9b7696151174493bc188d53685712c0b&PC=HCTS&sp=3&ghc=1&qs=AS&pq=lindy+snell&sk=PRES1AS2&sc=3-11&cvid=9b7696151174493bc188d53685712c0b&cc=US&setlang=en-US

whatever material that is (extra-dense neoprene?) it holds small hooks well & protects the points
the cheaper skinny ones are for light line -- get the fattest one, so Sabiki-appropriate heavier line doesn't coil as much

Brendan

Thanks for the input. Unable to see hooks in person right now is the hitch for me. Unsure of what I'm actually ordering online.
Thanks again, Brendan.

jurelometer

Quote from: oc1 on May 01, 2020, 10:52:24 AM
Thanks, I'll try them.  Do they stick each hook into the foam, or leave them flopping around?  Those tiny hooks grab everything.  Maybe put it into its own small plastic container.
-steve

Stick the hooks deep into the foam. The per-hook leader should go in the opposite direction of the wrap so as you wrap the line, the leaders get tightened and the hooks get pulled in deeper.  Subsequent wraps  will also cover the leaders, keeping them from snagging on something and pulling out a hook.   Wrap from bottom to top, so that you can tie the sabiki onto your main line before unwinding. 

The problems that I encounter with noodle sections:  The clip at the end can come loose and snag something, and the noodle sections are a bit bulky if you are carrying more than one.

I have thought about making some sort of plastic spool ends, but never figured out how to fuse to the foam -maybe "weld" some polyethylene or polypropylene (whatever the noodle is made out of) discs?  Or maybe just a mechanical attachment with dowels.  Something that provides a bit of a lip, and maybe a big  center hole and some smaller radial holes, all with slits to better capture the swivels and clips at the ends.   This would make the ends a bit more secure, and each spool could be a bit thinner.  But if the line can get between the foam and the lip, it would be kinda sucky.

I also  thought about just making a mold in the right shape and pouring soft foam, but like 90% of my projects,  it is still stuck in the ruminating phase.

I'm sure that you could come up with a pretty cool solution with a bit of PVC pipe, tennis ball can lids  and a coconut or two :).  But sometimes massively simple is better.   Maybe play with the noodle a bit and see what you think?

-J

Swami805

Anglers workshop has a ton of different hooks for flies and lures. They send you a real catalog that has an actual size chart with pictures that should take the guess work out of it. I've been ordering stuff from them since before the interweb, good pricing and fast shipping. Lots of rod building supplies too,some of those could cross over to what your doing
Do what you can with that you have where you are