505hs parts

Started by PeteRocck, April 29, 2020, 11:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeteRocck

Hi all,
So I've already done bunch of upgrades to my 505hs. I'd really like to get some aluminum side plates. So my question is, did anyone ever make side plates for the 505hs? Or am I looking for a unicorn?
Thanks,Pete
Current Reel inventory
2-505hs, 2-49, 1-500, 3-battle2 4000's
1-320GT2, 1-5500ss, 1- Daiwa Emcast, 1-15TLD

Swami805

I was cleaning up a 505 last night and wondering the same thing.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

alantani

i think accurate's jigmaster side plates had bearings like the 505, but used a 500 spool.  i don't think there was a specific 505/506 side plate.  could be wrong, though.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

PeteRocck

I know the bridge plate has slightly different hole pattern 500 vs 505. Not sure about spool spindle diameter and main gear clearances. Can I use a 500 side plate with my 505 guts minus the bridge plate? 🤷🏼‍♂️
Current Reel inventory

alantani

no, the 505 gears will not work in the 500 side plate. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jurelometer

Quote from: alantani on April 30, 2020, 12:12:37 AM
i think accurate's jigmaster side plates had bearings like the 505, but used a 500 spool.  i don't think there was a specific 505/506 side plate.  could be wrong, though.....   :-\

I have a set of Accurate 505 sideplates.   It uses all 505 parts, including the spool.

Quote from: PeteRocck on April 30, 2020, 12:21:31 AM
I know the bridge plate has slightly different hole pattern 500 vs 505. Not sure about spool spindle diameter and main gear clearances. Can I use a 500 side plate with my 505 guts minus the bridge plate? 🤷🏼‍♂️

As Alan noted the gears wont work.  The shaft center distance is slightly larger on the 505, and I believe the bridge plate is larger as well.  Penn chamfered the outside edge of the bridge plate so that the spool lip would still clear it. Probably several other reasons why the parts won't fit right as well.

The aluminum part of the spool is the same for both reels.  It even has the same part number on it.  But the spindle ends are different on the 505 to accommodate the ball bearings.   I think the shaft where the pinion slides is slightly smaller as well, but I could be wrong.   Bottom line is that the spools are not interchangeable.

In my opinion, trying to mix 500/505 sideplates/mechanical parts is not going to work in most cases, and will yield substandard results in others.   The 505 with an Accurate frame and sideplates casts like a dream. If you put in an aftermarket stainless gear sleeve, it is a really nice reel for casting and working irons with mono up to about  40 lbs. The retrieve rate is a bit low by modern standards, but it is doable.   The guts are not strong enough to go over 10 lbs of drag without beating up the reel over time, so the dimensions are a bit too big for braid.

If you are trying to improve the reel or just add some bling, keep your eyes open for some 505 plates.  Randy at Vintage Offshore Tackle might have some.  I have been happy with everything that I have bought from him.

-J

PeteRocck

I have a set of Accurate 505 sideplates.   It uses all 505 parts, including the spool.

So you're saying I have a chance of finding some 🤞 Are they something you would sell?
Current Reel inventory

jurelometer

Quote from: PeteRocck on April 30, 2020, 12:19:40 PM

So you're saying I have a chance of finding some 🤞 Are they something you would sell?

Check the Vintage Offshore Tackle sub-board:

https://alantani.com/index.php?board=70.0

This is a recommendation, not a plug.   I have no relationship with VOT other than a repeat happy list-price paying customer.

Randy's prices are always fair, and more importantly his description of the condition is accurate.  Those Al side plates get internal corrosion pretty easily and the handle side sideplate bearing is mounted in a blind hole.  The bearing is often toast and hard to get out. Unless you are buying unused plates, exercise caution on the auction site.

You could also post in the wanted board.

If you don't have an AL frame,  this is much more important than AL side plates.  The frame is most responsible  for keeping the bearings aligned with the spool.  AL  sideplates help a little, but are also require correct greasing on assembly and regular strip down and cleaning to prevent corrosion.   I don't fish Jigmasters much any more, but when I do, I use a reel with an AL frame and the stock Bakelite plastic sideplates.  Too much maintanence otherwise.

I like the Accurate frames,  but Tiburon are probably fine. 

I saw that you posted earlier that you picked up some  pro challenger 505 gears.   I would double check this if I were you.  I thought that PC only made 500 gears.    Some folks here put 500 gears in a 505 and end up satisfied with the result.  For gears sets to perform optimally, the pitch circles need to be tangent,  which means that you should not swap in gears designed for a different center distance.   500 gears will be slightly farther apart on a 505,  so  the curves on the sides of the teeth do it roll on and off as cleanly as the originals.   

Also I believe the hole in the 500 pinion is slightly large as well.

Since these are  low rpm, low use reels and not motors,  you might get away with it, and loose fitting stainless gears might be stronger than well fitting stock gears, but if you are not happy with the drive train, you might want to drop the stock gears back in and see if the reel works better.

-J

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: PeteRocck on April 29, 2020, 11:27:59 PM
Hi all,
So I've already done bunch of upgrades to my 505hs. I'd really like to get some aluminum side plates. So my question is, did anyone ever make side plates for the 505hs? Or am I looking for a unicorn?
Thanks,Pete

Pete, I have a full Accurate 505HS conversion consisting of Accuplates, Accuframe, Penn aluminum spool and a Penn 3-position 24 - 56 power handle that I would be happy to sell you.

I would rate the real as an 8 on a 10 scale for looks, as the graphics are faded and it has a fair number of small nicks and scratches.  it feels great mechanically and free schools for a long time even with no line on the spool.  the panhandle and fine thread dragstar are in mint condition as is the spool. The eccentric lever has a tiny bit of pitting.  I will replace it with a new old stock Pro Gear eccentric lever that has rubber rings to protect the edge of the side plate for an additional $10 if you like.

I could sell the whole reel for $185 plus $12 for shipping to Connecticut by Priority Mail with tracking, which is not much more than the value of the Accuplates alone.  It does not come with a rod clamp. If you don't need the handle, you can subtract $15.  Please take a look at the photos and let me know if you would like it. I'm going to send them into separate posts because I can only post four photos at a time.

If Pete does not want the reel and anyone else does, please let me know

Thank you!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Second set of photos

PeteRocck

Heck yea I want it. How do we do payment?
Current Reel inventory

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: PeteRocck on May 01, 2020, 02:39:07 AM
Heck yea I want it. How do we do payment?

Pete, we can do Venmo, Zelle or PayPal.  If you don't use any of those, we can do a money order or check. 

Please also send me your shipping address.  I can have it on its way tomorrow.

I hope that you love the reel.

Thank you,

Randy