Making a better crimper.

Started by gstours, April 30, 2020, 03:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

As many of you know that you're having a change of pace,  with some extra time waiting to resume some fishing adventure it was time to make a refinement.   The crimper i made from a bolt cutter works great but some of my smaller ones had a spring  to open the jaws and this one lacked this,   So.
   I found a heavy donor spring in a clamp shown.

gstours

Just grinding off one side of the rivet and it was set free.  The wire ends were bent to 90 degrees by heating red and a hammer/vice slowly.   A pair of holes were drilled and testing showed the geometry was off.  Moving one hole 🕳 showed much improvement.

gstours

Next the spring ends were held in place and allowed to rotate be a hex nut as a washer and a tack weld .

gstours

Viola,🙏👍,   These open by themselves now and making slight movements with the crimp easier.
   This was worth it as a simple no cost improvement project.   I hope this may give folks ideas and a spark of interest in playing with your tools and toys.

Decker

Very cool, Randy.  Seeing your inventions gets the gears in my head turning.

foakes

Very clever and useful, Gary!

Thanks!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Great Gary!
Any thoughts on ho to store them closed?

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

gstours

Ok? Thanks 🙏.  Several ways could be used to store the crimper in a closed position.  This wood b a way to hang the. On a wall or cabinet.  I wanted this one to be portable and not a bench top mount.
  Come back later and I will post my solution.🐳

Decker

Donnyboat

Thanks Gary, the spring in the crimps look great, just be careful, that spring metal, after welding, may rust very easy, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Benni3

Most repeat,,,, ;) so many times you can't buy the tool you need or it's just to expensive and you made it happen,,,,, :D great job my friend,,,,,,,, ;D

Dominick

And here I thought the only spring was in your step.   ;D  Nice work Butt Man.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.