Fishing a Penn 910

Started by Brandon G, May 01, 2020, 03:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon G

Hello,

I have a lovely 910 coming in the mail from the outstanding Vintage Offshore Tackle.
The drags on the 910 are leather. I have never fished with leather drags. I assume it will be a new feel but I'm very very excited.

I was wondering if anybody have some first hand experience with this reel and could lend some pointers.

I plan on using it in Rivers primarily, but depending on the bond that is formed, it may be my go to reel. (I'm planning on using my Squidder for surf)

I also was hoping someone would have experience with using both the ht100 and the ABU drags that are 'compatible', and could answer if they gave the reel a good or worse feel.

Anyways, when I catch something, hopefully a fish, I am posting it! My fishing reopens on the 5th, so I should have just enough time to clean her up and get her ready for her first trial run!

TIA!
Tight Lines :)

alantani

brandon, what i usually do is pull the leather drags out and hobble together a set of greased carbon fiber drags.  i work on these reels so infrequently that i can never remember which drags go it.  i might even cut down some of them to fit.  it's not a hard reel to work on as long as you don't take it completely apart.  i know this has been almost zero help to you, but i do recommend switching out the drag washers.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Brandon G

Quote from: alantani on May 02, 2020, 06:01:46 AM
brandon, what i usually do is pull the leather drags out and hobble together a set of greased carbon fiber drags.  i work on these reels so infrequently that i can never remember which drags go it.  i might even cut down some of them to fit.  it's not a hard reel to work on as long as you don't take it completely apart.  i know this has been almost zero help to you, but i do recommend switching out the drag washers.   :-\

It definitely helps! I was debating on what to use. I see I can try some 1116906 Abu Washers or the ht100s which aren't perfect, but I think they'll be better than anything I could put together.
I found this in the 920 thread as well:
Quote from: Taily on December 30, 2011, 10:44:31 AM
Just a note to those wondering about the part numbers for the HT100 drag washers used in the tutorial.  I originally asked Alan about them and he sent me some straight up but unfortunately between us we no longer have the emails we sent between us with the part numbers.... However don't dispair as Alan advises me this:

Quote..... Think I used a #6-7000 under the main gear and the #6-155's inside. It's actually better to use the #6-965 and grind them down to fit.

The 6-965 washers (3 of them from the 965 International baitcaster) are the ones that need to have their diameter slightly reduced to fit.

Regards,

Dave

I just went and checked out the 920 tutorial and boy... they sure are different haha
I was about to say, I'll take it apart and have it together in an hour but after looking at the tutorial, I might wait until I'm more experienced to tackle that project! I have a 2 kids, one is always at my side when I'm working on reels. He is 3 and a sticky hand bandit.
Whenever I do tackle that though, I'll make sure to take as many pictures as I can with detailed notes! 

How does one grind down CF washers?

------------------
Side note for everybody else / anybody who may have these parts, please reach out!! I want to upgrade to this handle, the one I'm getting doesn't seem like it will cut it..
(1) 23-940, 1181957 Handle Nut - Discontinued, no longer available.
(1) 110A-555, 1184442 Handle Locking Plate Cap
(1) 110-60, 1184437 Handle Locking Plate Screw.

------------------

Brandon G

The comment I quoted has me wondering.... if I upgrade the drags, will I need to upgrade that fiber washer? If so, do I go for the #6-7000?

foakes

Which handle are you looking for, Brandon?

Can you show us a photo?

And you are listing other crank connection parts also.

Any time there are variables -- Photos with simple and clear explanations take out the guesswork -- help to clear up misunderstandings -- and will get you more immediate results from our members who might have what you need.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rancanfish

Squidder drags.  Smoothdrag #10.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Brandon G

Quote from: foakes on May 02, 2020, 02:34:28 PM
Which handle are you looking for, Brandon?

Can you show us a photo?

And you are listing other crank connection parts also.

Any time there are variables -- Photos with simple and clear explanations take out the guesswork -- help to clear up misunderstandings -- and will get you more immediate results from our members who might have what you need.

Best,

Fred
I gotcha. It was late and I forget people can't read my mind... haha

The attached image is a picture of the 940 handle upgrade for the 910. I need 4 parts in order to upgrade to this handle which one is no longer available.
It came from this link: https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/24A-940SP.aspx

I found a picture of the specific handle nut that is OOS but there aren't too many pictures.
I'm kind of confused now. The handles say they will fit on the sleeve, but need a different nut?! I don't understand that if the handle fits, then the old nut should work?

CooldadE

I have a 920, 930 a couple of 940s and one NIB 940. I use them for Delta Striper fishing. In fact a 940 was the first level wind baitcaster I ever owned. I modded some CF drag drags a long time ago for one of them... don't remember what size ones I modded. I'm sure I got the info from this site. Love those little reels... Still looking for a 168-910 wrench for them , if anyone has one they would let loose of.

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Brandon G

I have a question for all you experts.

I have seen a few 910s around and most if not all others I have seen have a BLACK knob on the free spool level.
Mine (pictured) has a metal chrome knob.

Is the 910 the only one with the chrome knob? Did they make 910s with a black knob at the same time as the chrome knob, or are those later models?
OR am I seeing 920s with a 910 sideplate on them masquerading as 910s? I think the shiny knob looks better.

mo65

There are chrome switches on all the models...but I think they are limited to the early models. You can tell the early models by the stand. The first pic is the early stand. The second is the later stand. The third photo is a 930 with the chrome switch.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Swami805

I have the chrome lever on the 910 too. It's rubbed the anodizing off underneath the lever. Be good to keep that spot greased to prevent that
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Brandon G

Quote from: mo65 on May 08, 2020, 01:28:51 AM
   There are chrome switches on all the models...but I think they are limited to the early models. You can tell the early models by the stand. The first pic is the early stand. The second is the later stand. The third photo is a 930 with the chrome switch.

The one on ebay, had the early stand, but plastic knob. I thought it was odd but I am no expert.

Quote from: Swami805 on May 08, 2020, 01:52:22 AM
I have the chrome lever on the 910 too. It's rubbed the anodizing off underneath the lever. Be good to keep that spot greased to prevent that
Good info! I definitely will be greasing it up!

mo65

Quote from: Brandon G on May 08, 2020, 02:28:06 AM
Quote from: mo65 on May 08, 2020, 01:28:51 AM
The one on ebay, had the early stand, but plastic knob. I thought it was odd but I am no expert.

There are no set in stone rules when it comes to dating Penn reels. They always used all their parts...so you'll see many reels with parts from years before...but you can still make a safe estimate within a few years. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Brewcrafter

Brandon - You asked about modifying CF drag washers.  Hopefully you can find something that is close.  I recently redid an old Pflueger Bond and had to make do with the closest thing I could find from Dawn at Smooth Drag; I settled on getting an outside diameter that was correct and use a good, sharp step drill to gain a few thousandths on the inside diameter.  No power used, all done by hand.  And yes, kinda messy, but pretty easy only took a few minutes.  And other's here will chime in - be careful of the dust - not something you want to breathe (not as much of an issue if you are working by hand but if you were using power tools that might not be so good...)