I wasn't aware of the D.A.M. Quick Limited Edition 1000 FD

Started by The Fishing Hobby, May 02, 2020, 01:05:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Fishing Hobby

But I saw it and immediately wanted one. It isn't as high quality as the older reels, but it is nice to see this old school worm drive with the modern bells and whistles!
This won't be everyone's cup of tea because it is heavy for a light line reel. It weighs in at a whopping 11+oz's. It is definitely built for light line though. It is old battle tested technology with worm gear setup, brass main and pinion gears, aluminum body and rotor. Then it has some of the nice things about modern reel tech incorporated into the design. Infinite anti-reverse needle bearing, double sealed stainless steel ball bearings everywhere else, skirted spool, modern bail assembly with large diameter line roller. I think D.A.M. farmed these out to Okuma because the box was sealed and the reel sack inside the box had the Okuma name brand and logo on it. I have a 6'6" ultralight fiberglass rod blank (Rain Shadow eglass) that I'm going to build out for this reel eventually.
I took it apart, cleaned it and replaced the heavy grease used at the factory with Super Lube. The pictures were before cleaning and relube.
From what I've found online, these appear to have been a limited production run from around 2009 or somewhere around that time.
The literature for these said they have a stainless steel pinion gear, but this one is brass. I don't know what that is all about, but brass is a really good gear material too.
Anyway, thought I'd share this D.A.M. Quick 1000 FD Limited Edition with y'all. I never knew about them until I stumbled across this one by accident and had to have it!

The Fishing Hobby

More pics

mo65

That thing is news to me Kevin...but I like it. Still a brass worm drive, how can ya knock that? I bet it has a great feel. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: mo65 on May 02, 2020, 01:39:58 AM
That thing is news to me Kevin...but I like it. Still a brass worm drive, how can ya knock that? I bet it has a great feel. 8)
It does feel nice. Typical worm drive, not as free spinning as the spur or bevel or hybrid gears and absolutely no gear feedback through the handle. In the era of brass pinion/zink alloy main gear combos, this all brass drive train is nice to see! It is built like a tank, especially compared to reels of the 2000's!

Rancanfish

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

basto

Ten bearings counts me out. I saw a 4000 in very nice condition with a spool full of Finns 50lb braid and the guy is asking AUD $50.00.  ?????
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Dominick

Sure is a beauty Kevin.  Thanks for letting us have a look at it.  Mo must be drooling.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: basto on May 02, 2020, 06:23:06 AM
Ten bearings counts me out. I saw a 4000 in very nice condition with a spool full of Finns 50lb braid and the guy is asking AUD $50.00.  ?????
Greg
I fish freshwater so bearings don't worry me. If I fished more in saltwater, I'd definitely avoid higher bearing count reels.

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: Dominick on May 02, 2020, 02:18:55 PM
Sure is a beauty Kevin.  Thanks for letting us have a look at it.  Mo must be drooling.  Dominick
Hahaha!
No problem, glad to show it.

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Nice reels!
Funny how I have never seen these and from your posting there are now a few fir sale on eBay😏

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Dominick on May 02, 2020, 02:29:41 PM
Oh yeah, and Festus and Tommy.  Dominick

A little too recent for this ol' codger, but sure looks like a nice reel.

I picked up one of these at a yard sale for practically nothing a few years back. I'll have to dig it out of one of my totes, open it up and post some pics. It is really a smooth & interesting reel. I tried it out in the yard a couple of times before I removed the line and it casts a mile and reduces looping problems just like it was designed to do.

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: Balvar24 on May 03, 2020, 02:04:36 AM
Where is it built
China I'm sure. Doesn't say. It has Germany stamped on the foot but I'm sure it was designed there and built elsewhere since it had the Okuma bag in the box.