Anyway to speed up the freespool on Tekota 600?

Started by Odium, December 05, 2011, 08:58:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Odium

Hi guys,

I've been using my Tekota 600 rockfishing for a few seasons now.  Never really had any problems with it until my most recent trip.  Had a bit of current and wind, so I went from 16 ounces up to 24, but my line would drift way past the stones because the freespool was much slower than the other reels the other guys had onboard. 

Is there anyway to speed up the freespool without losing the levelwind?   I had maintenance done on it earlier in the year around July, so I don't think it has anything to do with corrosion or build up.

alantani

levelwind assemblies get gummed up all the time.  i'd recommended taking apart everthing, and i mean everything.  clean it well with carb cleaner and compressed air, then dip it it tsi 301. you have to clean out the spool bearings the the pinion gear as well.  q-tips work well for the pinion gear.  don't rough it up with sand paper or anything more abrasive than 1000 grit because you need the highest possible polish.  dip the cleaned out bearings and the pinion gear in tsi 301 and dab more on the spool shaft.  that should cover you.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Odium

Thanks for the super quick reply Alan!  I know what I'm doing tomorrow evening now.  Lets just hope it still works when I put it back together. . . .

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!