muratic acid for freeing up a seized handle

Started by Navidad Nutcase, May 02, 2020, 08:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

Quote from: Navidad Nutcase on May 09, 2020, 04:41:40 PM
does the inner stem run clear to the top of the outer sleeve?

Yes, but it is recessed into the sleeve about a millimeter.  I suspect the steel post is first peened to the handle blade, then the sleeve is slipped over the post, then a brass rivet is driven over the outboard end of the post.  The rivet is between the post and the sleeve).

Squirting something inside through the oil port would be the same as squirting something in after pulling off the plastic knob.  Fluid should work its way through and drip out at the other end of the sleeve.  

-steve

Navidad Nutcase

Quote from: oc1 on May 10, 2020, 06:42:59 AM
Quote from: Navidad Nutcase on May 09, 2020, 04:41:40 PM
does the inner stem run clear to the top of the outer sleeve?

Yes, but it is recessed into the sleeve about a millimeter.  I suspect the steel post is first peened to the handle blade, then the sleeve is slipped over the post, then a brass rivet is driven over the outboard end of the post.  The rivet is between the post and the sleeve).

Squirting something inside through the oil port would be the same as squirting something in after pulling off the plastic knob.  Fluid should work its way through and drip out at the other end of the sleeve.  

-steve
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks, Steve. This handle is newer than that - it bolts thru the blade. but I'm sure the same principle would apply. There is no oil hole but IS an indentation on the top of the bakelite handle. I bet one could drill a small hole in that indent and get oil to the inner stem.
    However at this point, I think I have this thing licked. after again soaking all night in the nail polish remover, the handle could be turned ever so slightly with my fingers - very easy with a wrench. I soaked it in some light oil for an hour and just now took it out. Not there yet but now I can turn it easier - but not easy - with my fingers.Back to the oil bath.
   Interestingly enough, I could not mix the tranny oil and the acetone together. The oil just floated. whipping the mixture helped but in 5 minutes it was separated again. If acetone will mix with oil, then the fingernail polish removers ''base'' must be water. It does not say on the label.
   If I have anything further to add I will post again. but for right now  I consider this one of those ''case closed'' files.  Once again I want to thank everyone for all the help.
Greg
Don't criticize our kids. We too were once "young n' dumb".... Fortunately - and sadly - neither condition is permanent.

Navidad Nutcase

one last update.  I decided to drill out an oil hole thru that little indentation on the top of the bakelite knob. Well, imagine my surprise (and no surprise to many on this board) after I drilled thru a ''skim' of black stuff, the drill bit started coming out white (salt?)with no resistant pressure on my part. Turns out there WAS an oil hole already. Just never been used. I have no idea what the black layer was. Grime of some sort. After adding a few drops of oil and working the stem back and forth the whole assembly is good as new. I am not allowing myself to imagine how this would have turned out if I'd started at the top. To depressing.
Cheers
Grg
Don't criticize our kids. We too were once "young n' dumb".... Fortunately - and sadly - neither condition is permanent.

philaroman

yeah, sometimes it helps to clean the outside
before you figure out how to fix the inside ;)

Donnyboat

Sound like a good outcome Greg, & thanks for keeping us informed, if its possible try to get some marine grease in to it, & seal the hole, now we want to see some pics of fish you catch with it, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Navidad Nutcase

Quote from: philaroman on May 10, 2020, 11:32:14 PM
yeah, sometimes it helps to clean the outside
before you figure out how to fix the inside ;)

philaroan, that's as good a saying as I've heard in a while. I'll not only remember it but am going to use it.

and good advice Donnyboat. I will plug that hole after pumping some grease in there.
stay safe everyone
Greg

oc1

Shucks.  I was looking forward to the muriatic acid treatment.  Is it too late?
-steve