2201-050B

Started by basto, May 05, 2020, 09:26:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

I thought this reel had a metal body until I got it home and pulled the side plate screws to find they are self tappers.
It is the Shakespeare 2201-050B Whisker Titan.The body, rotor and spool are all graphite.

[/URL]

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

basto

It has a bail fold feature that I assume is to preserve the strength in the bail spring when the reel is not in use., and for storage.

The spool is graphite with a scale for line capacity and a ceramic lip.

basto

The drag is oiled felt with hard fibre washers under spool.

The alloy main gear has a plastic anti reverse silencer on its shaft.

The occillation system is an alloy gear driven by the main gear shaft.

basto

Internal bail trip.

The anti reverse ratchet has only 4 teeth.

One advantage of a non metal body is that there are no metal parts like bearings that can get frozen with rust to the body.
I quite like this reel. It is very smooth to operate and was kept clean.
I would love to know what year it was produced in Korea.

Greg

Crow

Thanks for the look inside !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

philaroman

as I recall...

had & sold the older Japanese Sigma version (also, graphite) -- the oldest all-metal ones are fairly collectible
(that's what I mistakenly thought I sniped -- hence, STUPIDLY resold)...  AFTER that,
pretty sure I figured out (and forgot) how to distinguish between metal & graphite, by model# alone
it wasn't rocket science: 2200 vs. 2201...  2200 with "G" somewhere in model#...  something like that
if you look on fleaBay SOLD, it should be obvious: metal Japanese are worth 3X as much
(don't pay that, LOL -- just use it to figure out correct model#s & distinguishing visible characteristics)

the affordable graphite smaller ones seem most practical for use -- frame flex is of least concern &
the fold-down bail feature is esp. cool for a pocket/backpack reel
please show the reel "most compact" --  you know, spool downmost & bail+handle folded
is that a ceramic roller?  thks

basto

Quote from: Crow on May 05, 2020, 11:47:35 AM
Thanks for the look inside !

Crow, you are very welcome.
Greg

basto

Quote from: philaroman on May 05, 2020, 12:46:25 PM
as I recall...

had & sold the older Japanese Sigma version (also, graphite) -- the oldest all-metal ones are fairly collectible
(that's what I mistakenly thought I sniped -- hence, STUPIDLY resold)...  AFTER that,
pretty sure I figured out (and forgot) how to distinguish between metal & graphite, by model# alone
it wasn't rocket science: 2200 vs. 2201...  2200 with "G" somewhere in model#...  something like that
if you look on fleaBay SOLD, it should be obvious: metal Japanese are worth 3X as much
(don't pay that, LOL -- just use it to figure out correct model#s & distinguishing visible characteristics)

the affordable graphite smaller ones seem most practical for use -- frame flex is of least concern &
the fold-down bail feature is esp. cool for a pocket/backpack reel
please show the reel "most compact" --  you know, spool downmost & bail+handle folded
is that a ceramic roller?  thks

I think the roller is ceramic. Here is a few more pics.

cheers
Greg

Sharkb8

I use to use them when they first came out in about 1985 they're made in Japan, I think around 1987 they're  made in Korea  . The graphite one seemed to were out quick so I went back to the metal body ones.

Kim